Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos gave wrong product

Options
  • 26-12-2010 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hello, hoping someone might help me on this. On 22nd of December i purchased an Ipod touch 64gb from argos for 330 euro. When i went to the till i asked the girl was it the new 4th generation one and she said it was and that there was a special offer of 60 euro off.
    As it was a present for someone i wrapped it up and yesterday i found out that it was in fact the 3rd generation Ipod. I rang argos and spoke to the manager who more or less told me that once it was open she couldnt do anything about it. Surely i have rights here and should be given what i thought i was purchasing for the price i paid.
    Grateful for any help on this..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

thecaw76 wrote: »
    Hello, hoping someone might help me on this. On 22nd of December i purchased an Ipod touch 64gb from argos for 330 euro. When i went to the till i asked the girl was it the new 4th generation one and she said it was and that there was a special offer of 60 euro off.
    As it was a present for someone i wrapped it up and yesterday i found out that it was in fact the 3rd generation Ipod. I rang argos and spoke to the manager who more or less told me that once it was open she couldnt do anything about it. Surely i have rights here and should be given what i thought i was purchasing for the price i paid.
    Grateful for any help on this..

You only have your word against the girls that says you expected a 4th gen, the Ipod touch would have listed the 4th gen stuff such as the front facing camera and from the picture in Argos and the description it's not a 4th gen.

You would be entitled to something but as there is no way to prove what was said to you, you can't do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thecaw76

After i found out what had happened i checked my own catalogue at home and it has only the 3rd generation for sale so i am thinking that the in store catalogues are the same as the one that i have at home .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There are 2 different catalogue numbers for the 3rd and 4th gen models, so it all depends on which one you bought. If you bought the wrong one, but it does match the catalogue number you selected, then that's your fault. If you paid for the 4th gen model though, and they gave you the 3rd gen one, then you can return it for replacement, even if it has been opened, as the problem is theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I was a bit nervous about this too, the packaging doesn't give any indication and I think this will give you some leverage when talking to the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Check your receipt for the Argos product code, then check it up online or in the catalogue. If you paid for the 3rd gen model and received the 3rd gen model, then there is not much you can do. However, if you paid for the 4th gen and received the 3rd gen, then there is an issue.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Check your receipt for the Argos product code, then check it up online or in the catalogue. If you paid for the 3rd gen model and received the 3rd gen model, then there is not much you can do. However, if you paid for the 4th gen and received the 3rd gen, then there is an issue.

Thanks for the replies.There lies the problem.I checked the catalogue at home and its the same as the laminated ones instore.It seems there is only one 64gb Ipod on that catalogue so i assumed(wrongly)that it was the new one.However i was happy to part with my money when they told me at the till that it was the newly released Ipod64gb.Could not get through to consumer affairs today(obviously a busy time for them!) but ill try again tomorrow just to see what they think.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,199 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

i purchased an Ipod touch 64gb from argos for 330 .

The 4th Generation is 399.

They should take it back as you were wrongly advised but you'll have to pay the full price.

Apple aren't exactly a retailers best friend, interested to see how you get on with this.
    Was the ipod registered in itunes. If it was they may not take it back.

JustinOval wrote: »

Hi justinoval. The thing is i reckon the catalogues instore only have the 3rd generation advertised so that threw me a little.

The 4th Generation is 399.

They should take it back as you were wrongly advised but you'll have to pay the full price.

Apple aren't exactly a retailers best friend, interested to see how you get on with this.
    Was the ipod registered in itunes. If it was they may not take it back.

Hi Drunkmonkey.The girls at the till told me that there was a special offer on ipods that week and there was 60 euro off. Just onto my brother,he said he registered it because it was the only way to get it to work.
    But they dont need to know that bit of information do they!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What is the product code on your receipt? It will look like 123/1234. That is the only definite way to know which model you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

To be honest you have no way of proving the staff told you the wrong thing. You should really have made sure yourself I'm afraid. Harsh lesson learned.

dudara wrote: »
    What is the product code on your receipt? It will look like 123/1234. That is the only definite way to know which model you got.

Yes it is the product code for the 3rd gen but it was the only one in the book,so asked at the till to see was it the new one.I know it was partially a mistake on my part(i should have double checked the product details instead of trying to find the code straight away)but when i was assured at the till i was happy enough to purchase.There is no way i would have bought the 3rd gen ipod for the identical price to the 4th gen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Could not get through to consumer affairs today(obviously a busy time for them!) but ill try again tomorrow just to see what they think.

You got exactly what you paid for though, so there's nothing that the NCA can do for you. Having opened, registered, and used the iPod now, means it has been accepted as is. I really don't see how you can get anywhere with this.
    Just onto my brother,he said he registered it because it was the only way to get it to work.

Lying will not get you anywhere, and will only make matters worse.
    There is no way i would have bought the 3rd gen ipod for the identical price to the 4th gen.

You didn't though, you paid €40 less for the 3rd gen model than what the 4th gen currently costs.

The only outstanding issue is that the cashier mistakenly told you that this was the new model, which they may have thought it was. By not checking this yourself, and by your brother opening, using and registering it for himself now, you have no comeback.

Even if it is last years model, he still got a 64GB iPod, it works (I assume), and it didn't cost you as much as the new model would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

jor el wrote: »
    Even if it is last years model, he still got a 64GB iPod, it works (I assume), and it didn't cost you as much as the new model would have.

The 4th gen model is selling for €370 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

if it "accidentally malfunctioned" they would replace it with a gen 4 provided there are no gen 3 in stock :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

delllat wrote: »
    if it "accidentally malfunctioned" they would replace it with a gen 4 provided there are no gen 3 in stock :rolleyes:
    argos , wont change anything to do with apple , they give you contact details and you gotta contact apple and send away for repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

antocann wrote: »
    argos , wont change anything to do with apple , they give you contact details and you gotta contact apple and send away for repair

your contract is with the shop,not with apple

you can insist the retailer fix the problem especially if the sale was just a few days ago

i would ask for a refund or replacement if i bought an item malfunctioning after a few days (theres no way i would return it for a repair under warranty if it broke that fast )

this case is differnt though since there was a communication problem about the model on sale

...but it isn't malfunctioning and they do have 3gen in stock.

Wrong one bought, harsh, but he'll just have to deal with it.

If it was me I'd sell it and pay the difference for a 4gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

jebus, whatever happened to the argos "no quibble" guarantee?

i had a microwave pack up after a couple of weeks and took it back (the box had been binned) and they just handed me a new boxed one and got me to put my address on the receipt and stamped it and off i went.

i'd expected to have to swap the box contents round etc. and just take the microwave itself but they literally just handed me the whole new boxed one and said thanks and off i went.

would be a real shame if that kind of service has gone entirely. :(

if it was me, i'd just take it into the shop and explain what happened and ask to pay the difference for the new one and see what happens, you never know your luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

vibe666 wrote: »

i had a microwave pack up after a couple of weeks and took it back (the box had been binned) and they just handed me a new boxed one and got me to put my address on the receipt and stamped it and off i went.

i'd expected to have to swap the box contents round etc. and just take the microwave itself but they literally just handed me the whole new boxed one and said thanks and off i went.

would be a real shame if that kind of service has gone entirely. :(

if it was me, i'd just take it into the shop and explain what happened and ask to pay the difference for the new one and see what happens, you never know your luck.

The "no quibble" guarantee doesn't apply to iPods. Or anything else with a writable storage medium.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Just onto my brother,he said he registered it because it was the only way to get it to work.
    jor el wrote: »
    Lying will not get you anywhere, and will only make matters worse.

It's only lying if they tell argos that they didn't register it. If they just don't tell them either way then its fine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

vibe666 wrote: »

Nothing happened to it, it remains the same.

Last time I checked a microwave can't hold personal details

argos.ie clearly states:
    Important information
    ^If a product is excluded from our 30-day money-back guarantee, it is clearly marked with a †
    Our 30-day money-back guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.
    *If you don't have your receipt, as long as you have proof of purchase, we'll exchange the item or give you a refund with vouchers.
    + If you had your item delivered your order number counts as your receipt/proof of purchase
    We're sorry but some items like earrings, foot spas and dental products can't be exchanged or refunded for hygiene and safety reasons, unless they're faulty.
    To protect your personal security, we're also unable to accept returns on some non-faulty imaging and recording products such as MP3 players and digital cameras.
    Please note all video games consoles are excluded from the Argos 30 day money back guarantee. Please ensure you read the specification on the box before installation. We also cannot accept returns for video gaming software under our 30 day money back guarantee if the plastic wrapping has been unsealed – this does not affect your statutory rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I so very nearly got caught out in the exact same way as the OP.

The argos book you will have at home will only have one item on it shown as an iPod Touch 64g. This would lead you to believe that its the most up to date model - it probably was when the book was published. However, the instore laminated version has another page inserted about three or four pages further on offering the new 4g version with two cameras, facetme etc. But there is nothing on the original page to say that it is the 3g model or that there is a newer version available.

So I went into the store (Castlebar) and bought a 3rd gen 64g thinking it was a 4th gen. Paid for it and collected it but I was thinking €330 was unbelievable value for the new model. So before I left I checked the instore book a second time and found the newer version (and started to panic as the lad at the counter had just told me there were no refunds on this item).

In fairness to Argos when I went back up to the counter and explained my mistake/their dodgy info they took back the 3rd gen iPod and gave me my money back straight out, no questions asked (I hadn't opened the box, or even left the store and they had no 4th gens in stock that day as it turned out). Went back in two days later and bought a 4th gen when they came back into stock, so I got away with it but if left me thinking that people are definitely going to get caught out there because its so badly explained by Argos.

Anyway, point is, in the OPs case I would take it further with Argos because their catalogue deals with this product very badly and the error made is one that I would guess has been made by a lot of people this Christmas as a result of the layout and descriptions of the item in the Argos catalogue as well as the difference between the instore version and the one you get at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

penexpers wrote: »
    The "no quibble" guarantee doesn't apply to iPods. Or anything else with a writable storage medium.
    righto, good to know, thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

Would never buy anything like that in argos...bought ps3 in argos couple of years back which broke while still under guarantee. While I didnt have the receipt itself, I had evidence of the payment made to them on my credit card. They refused to take place or replace. I was very impressed my gamesworld, who when I told them what had happened in argos, took back my broken ps3, gave me the newer version and full guarantee for the price of 20 punt. Very impressed, would never make big purchase from argos again.

Thanks to all posters.I reallise that it is a longshot but going to the store tomorrow to talk to the manager.Hopefully in the spirit of Christmas they might exchange the ipod for the 4th gen. I will be having a moan about the catalogue and what they told me at the tills if i think they wont exchange it! Ill keep ye all informed .......

Well went into Argos on new years eve hoping that they would change my 3rd gen to the 4th gen and am surprised and happy to say that the manager exchanged it.(Extra 30.10). The Manager told me many times that normally there would be no hope of an exchange,maybe she did change it because of what the girls at the till told be but i think more so because of the time of year.Thanks to all who posted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Great to see a happy customer, and that customer service still exists in bigger business'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement