Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions about UPC 15Mb fibre powered.

• 26-12-2010 2:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭

I am currently looking at getting upc 15mb fibre powered broadband package. Upc have yet to get back to me to tell me if it is available in my area. I was just wondering if it is available is what I want possible.

We currently have a eircom phone and 1mb broadband package. I would like to install the upc broadband and keep the current eircom broadband as well. The eircom package uses our phone line and upc says that no phone line is needed for fibre power broadband.

One last question, is self installation just setting up the router?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

I am currently looking at getting upc 15mb fibre powered broadband package. Upc have yet to get back to me to tell me if it is available in my area. I was just wondering if it is available is what I want possible.

We currently have a eircom phone and 1mb broadband package. I would like to install the upc broadband and keep the current eircom broadband as well. The eircom package uses our phone line and upc says that no phone line is needed for fibre power broadband.

One last question, is self installation just setting up the router?

Thanks for the help.

Do you have digital tv with them? If so it might be a case they can send out a router/modem but if you're a new customer they might need to cable your premises but will be free installation. Router is also free with 15mb packages & up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Nollog

If you're new, look for the 50 euro voucher at upc.ie/boardsoffer
    15 will become 20 in jan, with a 2 euro increase also, so bear it in mind.

You get free install from the boards link, but self-install is just plugging in the router, yes provided you have a coax outlet.
    UPC Broadband comes through the TV wire, so your phone line won't be effected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I have "MMDS digital" via an aerial on the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Do you live in a big town or city? If you have an MMDS aerial then you only have a slight chance of getting broadband. If you live in the country then you don't have a hope I'm afraid.

Do you live in a big town or city? If you have an MMDS aerial then you only have a slight chance of getting broadband. If you live in the country then you don't have a hope I'm afraid.

I live in limerick.

• Advertisement

If it's Limerick City then you have a chance. Some people from Limerick on boards have had issues from being moved from MMDS to actual cable. Others had no problem. The UPC customer care don't generally know what the story on the ground is as they just read off a computer. You'll need to ask neighbours or maybe someone on boards who works with UPC can help.

Do all of your neighbours have to rely on MMDS or are they served with proper cable?

I think some of my neighbours have proper cable but a different street name and none of them use upc for broadband. When I gave upc my address (the one they send my tv bill to) I was told there is no such place. I will try calling again tomorrow, maybe I might get somebody more helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Lads is there any hidden cost to this I'm looking to get a ISP fast and reliable for a ps3 and apple tv not at the same time.I use sky as my tv provider. Sorry for the side track I'm in Dublin

fox007 wrote: »
    Lads is there any hidden cost to this I'm looking to get a ISP fast and reliable for a ps3 and apple tv not at the same time.I use sky as my tv provider. Sorry for the side track I'm in Dublin
    No harm in opening a new thread for this. The website lists all the prices, I don't think there's an installation charge for UPC but there's a minimum contract period for any service of 12 months unless you're a student. Then you have a 12 month contract but the last 3 monts are free effectively.

Advertisement