Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony pulls 5 year guarantee

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Hi everyone.
    If a Bravia was bought, lets say a month ago, with the 5 year Warranty, are you ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Tony wrote: »
    Yes but in your original post you portrayed the time period as being part of the act (at least thats the impression I took which is why i asked the question) and how exactly do you know what a judge might think?

In my origional post I quoted the sale of goods act, which states " as durable as is reasonable to expect". I never claimed to know what a judge might think, I used the term "I believe".
    Why 5 years , why not 4 1/2 or 6? This is conjecture surely its better to stick to known facts.

5 years because that was the time of the warranty that was withdrawn, also because I think that is a reasonable period to expect to get from a
    modern piece of electronic equipment. As I already said, most electrical, electronic equipment like tv dvd players etc. will run 10 or more years without problems. I don't think it is reasonable to expect a manufacturer to stand over them for that time though.
    In reality there are few of the major big volume retailers that would stand by a product after 5 years

This is exactly why we have consumer laws. Just to clarify, I don't expect them to stand over their products after five years either, but up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Apologies, as I may be wrong, but isn't the reason it wasn't implemented here, because we already are covered for 3 years?

No, 3 years or any other time limit is not mentioned under Irish consumer legislation afaik. However the Statute of Limitations does restrict the time you have to make a claim under contract law to 6 years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What you expect and what you are entitled to might not be the same thing. You should not even think in terms of anything being the manufacturer's problem. If it is somebody else's problem, it is the retailer's one, because your contract is with the person who sold you the goods, not with the person who made them.

If we were to get our rights upheld, manufacturers would have to make more of an effort to build longevity into their products. Whether that goes through the retailer or not is immaterial (to me. I understand about the legal aspects of who is responsible)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

whiterebel wrote: »
    If we were to get our rights upheld, manufacturers would have to make more of an effort to build longevity into their products....

That's a bit of a tricky one. If consumers are more interested in low prices than in high quality, then a manufacturer might be justified in compromising on quality in order to meet consumer expectations -- for example, using lower-spec components.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That's a bit of a tricky one. If consumers are more interested in low prices than in high quality, then a manufacturer might be justified in compromising on quality in order to meet consumer expectations -- for example, using lower-spec components.

True, thats why I don't usually go for the cheapest. However, on the likes of a PS3, X-Box, iPhone etc they have a captive audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

But that's the point. You can't really expect the 32" tv for €200 to last as long as the same one that sells for €800. That's where it boils down to a judge to decide if that's "reasonable" or not.

The law is written to give protection to the consumer against the dodgy components used in the €800 version that breaks down 2 months after the 12 month warranty.

The incentive is there for the manufacturer to provide a product that has a reasonable lifespan for its worth. If full consumer rights were always enforced....the manufacturer would not be long realising replacing/repairing all these units that break down far too quickly for their worth is not viable, and better products would be the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

whiterebel wrote: »
    If we were to get our rights upheld, manufacturers would have to make more of an effort to build longevity into their products. Whether that goes through the retailer or not is immaterial (to me. I understand about the legal aspects of who is responsible)

people want longevity ,they ALSO want the latest and greatest technology at the lowest prices

which means constant updates in product models and specification

if we all still used our laptops ,mobile phones and other gadgets we had 10 years ago wed be "prehistoric"

technology has a life cycle and the products of yesterday are not what people necessarily want tomorrow

a hammer will still be a hammer in 100 years ,same goes for a screwdriver

a compromise has to be made somewhere ,you just cant have both

delllat wrote: »
    people want longevity ,they ALSO want the latest and greatest technology at the lowest prices

which means constant updates in product models and specification

if we all still used our laptops ,mobile phones and other gadgets we had 10 years ago wed be "prehistoric"

technology has a life cycle and the products of yesterday are not what people necessarily want tomorrow

a hammer will still be a hammer in 100 years ,same goes for a screwdriver

a compromise has to be made somewhere ,you just cant have both

I don't want to get the "latest greatest" in washing machines, fridges, hoovers, etc, so whats the excuse there? If I pay more money for a "premium" brand, I expect it to last, whether it is 19" or 47" TV. If the "lesser brands" that Lidl and Aldi sell can give 3 year warranties on all electronic products, its hard to see why the big boys can't.
    A lot of people are quite happy with what they have, until a new "must have" product comes out - must have because their advertising says so. Look at the 3D TV sales falling flat on their face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Hi everyone.
    If a Bravia was bought, lets say a month ago, with the 5 year Warranty, are you ok?

If you bought while the five year warranty was part of the deal, then that stands as it formed part of the contract entered into when the sale was completed. It cannot be withdrawn retrospectively. Make sure you keep your receipt and the five year warranty somewhere safe, that you can put your hands on them if the need should arise in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement