Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cork City - water off tonight/tomorrow night

Options
  • 26-12-2010 5:12pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

Water in Cork City is being turned off from 20:00 tonight to 06:00 tomorrow. Probably same tomorrow,

Nothing up on City website yet.

Edit: this was relayed via a Tweet from Cllr. Laura McGonigle.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

parsi wrote: »
    Water in Cork City is being turned off from 20:00 tonight to 06:00 tomorrow. Probably same tomorrow,

Nothing up on City website yet.

Edit: this was relayed via a Tweet from Cllr. Laura McGonigle.

Was about to post the same thing - have it on good authority its only supposed to be for a few hours but heard that before:eek: ... (runs to fill bath!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Is this in the city itself? The pubs will have to pretty much close if there is no water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

D-Generate wrote: »
    Is this in the city itself? The pubs will have to pretty much close if there is no water.

Not sure, I know its residential - hopefully they can keep the pubs with water, I'd imagine tonight would be make or break for some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Areas of high pessure loss will have the water switched off, the rest of the city will have service as usual.

http://lauramcgonigle.ie/2010/12/water-restrictions-cork-city/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Still no water here after it was turned off. (09:00).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

None here either, since this time yesterday. Focks sake

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Well, still no water and now the electricity is off aswell!!
    We have had no mains water since early Thursday, and were hoping the thaw yesterday would bring it back.

The storm is probably after knocking out the power now aswell. Anyone else in blackrock area without power?

Edit - power is back. Still no water tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

I'm out at the bottom of Spur Hill in Togher and we've no mains water since Tuesday. Anyone we've asked on the road is in the same situation and people in Sandown Crest are also without mains water as far as we know. I've also seen on another thread here that people in Westbury don't have mains water either. A near neighbour who mains come from the Leghanamore hill side isn't affected and we have been filling our tanks from his outside tap.
    I've tried contacting the council with no luck but spoke to the guy in the fire department this morning who said that the council were turning on the water mains on a phased basis starting from 8 o' clock this morning. He couldn't give me any more information than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

Hi Mobfromcork
    I posted this in the frozen pipes section,it might be of interest I am assuming you lost your supply originally because of frost. Another Boardies who is a plumber pm'd me saying that the stopcocks around Wilton Bishopstown are too high up and thus subject to freezing. This is my 3rd time in two years
    Hi I live in the Kenley/Bishopstown area. Last year due to the big freeze had no water for about 5 days. Anyway this year as we are due to have an elderly relative staying had a complete new set of pipes installed from the stop Cock to the house, and had them heavily insulated. I also put on a stop cock cosy as an additional layer of insulation. To cut a long story very short all was good until the night of the 22/23/12 which was particularly cold. Checked supply at midnight all good woke up following day no water. Rang the builder and murdered him, he came out dug up the stop cock and showed me that the pipe coming IN to the stopcock i.e the Corpo line was had no water in it. He assumes that it is frozen further back. Rang Corpo got them to talk to the builder ( I am non technical) I then spoke to the Corpo and asked what are you doing about it. Basically nothing we have major faults etc and in fairness I didnt expect a bunch of work men appearing at my door that day. But when I pursued the matter saying that the stopcock was like an ESB meter everything beyond the stopcock was my problem but everything on their side was their issue and just as I would expect ESB or bord gais to fix their side surely the Corpo should fixe their in the New Year. The guy said well sort of in theory but if we fixed you we would have to fix the 1000s of other customers like you around the city. I still have no water and with the supply being turned off tonight I dont know what to do. I did "suggest" that MAYBE I would need to talk to their legal dept and was told yes but going the legal route could take years and be expensive.
    So 2 questions.
    Any ideay how long the thaw may take to get us frozen people back and
    can I force the Corpo to insulate their side of the stopcock. My neighbour is also without supply so maybe a couple of us could put pressure. I am assuming this means opening the road. Any advise appreciate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pisturchiella

hi mobfromcork, water is back in Westbury (at least in my apartment block) since yesterday night and all good this morning so far - it was a localized problem for us, a frozen pipe, as suggested by Outkast. I hope water is back for you soon, these 5 days were really hard....good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 kevin.downey

Tried ringing all the numbers on this http://www.corkcity.ie/aboutus/contactus/ web site... can't speak to anyone on any of the numbers...

Including the emergency number...

Feels good to know they care

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

Water is on Blackrock/Mahon Area but it is slightly brown.
    If you have water then you should filter it.
    Probably lots of snow melt from up river.
    Water is on in North Side/Gurranabraher but only some houses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Burst pipe in Blackpool now, water gone again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Jeebus H Christ

Tried ringing all the numbers on this http://www.corkcity.ie/aboutus/contactus/ web site... can't speak to anyone on any of the numbers...

Including the emergency number...

Feels good to know they care
    Taken from the news section of their website:
    Customers experiencing problems can call us on 4966512 (24 hours a day)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Yup. Called the number and got through to the Fire Service. I've been told the supply's off until 10am tomorrow am, then full service should be restored...

How true this is, I do not know!

Advertisement