Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classes in Galway

Options
  • 26-12-2010 5:22pm

I'm contemplating taking up a new hobby/activity around the city in the New Year - does anyone have any information on Dance classes, art classes, or any classes along those lines happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

GCC and GTI do them, all the courses are online and highly subsidised. Know the cookery and photography ones are good, can vouch for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Advertiser's probably going to be full of them this week. Keep an eye out for that.

GCC and GTI do them, all the courses are online and highly subsidised. Know the cookery and photography ones are good, can vouch for them.

Any idea what their timetables are like? I'm full-time in college so it would be evenings and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Any idea what their timetables are like? I'm full-time in college so it would be evenings and weekends.

Theres another socs/clubs day in the new semester...

Might be worth going along for a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

The GTI ones I know are usually Mon/Tue/Wed evenings and are 2 hours or 2 1/2

It seems like there are slightly longer classes this time, but an 8 week term for some as opposed to 10. There's a good variety of stuff this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Anyone ever try the woodturning classes?

The GTI ones seem very expensive, are they worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭baldshin

Can't speak for all the GTI classes, but I reckon the music related ones would be good. I'm full time in a music course there, tutors and equipment are top class.
    Those courses are expensive though, my full time one was only €250 for the year!

I'd be looking to do something in the evenings, not to acquire and certificates or things like that, but to more pass the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'd be looking to do something in the evenings, not to acquire and certificates or things like that, but to more pass the time.

Have you tried racism? There's a few pf us getting into it now and it's becoming quite popular

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Anyone ever try the woodturning classes?

A friend of mine did it. Made some lovely things. A really beautiful bowl. I'm not sure if you have to pay for materials separately.

I've done dressmaking in both GTI and GCC. Well worth the money for the acquired skill IMO. I did have to provide materials though but most of it only needs to be bought once.

To become a tutor/teacher you need to provide samples of your body of work to be assessed so the standard of teaching is generally excellent.

The GTI ones seem very expensive, are they worth it?

Yeah, they seem to range from 100 to 150 for the term. If you took a normal yoga class, for example it could run you 250 or more for the same amount of time.

They used to be over 10 weeks, so you could look at it as a tenner for 2 hours of (blank) which would mostly be good value. This time the classes are longer but I would say a good deal looking at the subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

I've done Irish Sign Language at the weekends, not in GTI but in their own place on the Tuam Road. That was fantastic. I don't know anybody who's deaf, I just like languages and thought it'd be nice if I happened to be serving a deaf customer or something. I didn't take it beyond beginner level, though. Hadn't the funds to go beyond one term.

Apologies for the cliche, but it was something different and, if I weren't so obsessively secretive about everything, a conversation piece probably. You say evenings, though, this was Saturday mornings so it's probably not the kind of time you're looking to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Dunjohn wrote: »
    if I weren't so obsessively secretive about everything, a conversation piece probably.

Gives one a huge advantage during the Christmas holiday game of charades. (Just make sure you've another speaker on your team.)

OP - take up chess. Free classes in NUIG of a Monday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Dunjohn wrote: »
    I've done Irish Sign Language at the weekends, not in GTI but in their own place on the Tuam Road. That was fantastic.
    I did a sign language class a few years ago and really enjoyed it too. Would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Re: the dressmakings ones; I have a friend considering doing one; but the one i did three years ago in GTI was appallingly bad; oversubscribed class which meant 2/3 people per machine, the first lesson was just the teacher telling us all about her awards and how much more money we had to spend on fabric/tools/equipment etc.. I still have a half finished skirt at home...if anyone could advise me on another course (or indeed tell me if the one in GTI has improved) I would be very grateful.

Cheers!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Re: the dressmakings ones; I have a friend considering doing one; but the one i did three years ago in GTI was appallingly bad; oversubscribed class which meant 2/3 people per machine, the first lesson was just the teacher telling us all about her awards and how much more money we had to spend on fabric/tools/equipment etc.. I still have a half finished skirt at home...if anyone could advise me on another course (or indeed tell me if the one in GTI has improved) I would be very grateful.

Cheers!

The one in GCC is a better beginners one IMO. They do have a limited number if machines but there was never more than one person per machine. In the GCC class you're shown how to copy a pattern (so it's free). I definitely learned lots of tricks in it and am really happy with my finished skirt, I wore it Christmas day! I'd definitely recommend it anyway!

Das Kitty wrote: »
    The one in GCC is a better beginners one IMO. They do have a limited number if machines but there was never more than one person per machine. In the GCC class you're shown how to copy a pattern (so it's free). I definitely learned lots of tricks in it and am really happy with my finished skirt, I wore it Christmas day! I'd definitely recommend it anyway!

Thanks Das Kitty! I'll pass on that info to my friend. I felt so let down with the one in GTI and the costs were crazy, and Hickeys ran out of the pattern which put half the class behind by a week which obviously was madness. Cheers.

Thanks Das Kitty! I'll pass on that info to my friend. I felt so let down with the one in GTI and the costs were crazy, and Hickeys ran out of the pattern which put half the class behind by a week which obviously was madness. Cheers.

I'd be sure to ask (particularly with the classes that use machinery etc) about max number in classes.
    I know it was quite random in the last term of GTI but most classes were underpopulated, and part of that was weather etc. My friend took an art class, and I know the teacher herself put a cap on numbers with VEC so it wouldn't get crazy. Not every teacher would.
    Just check I'd say. Also, it has low numbers, the office (in one VEC for sure) has a tendency to say 'it might not go ahead' and not take your number:rolleyes: A music class another person I know, got cancelled last term because there 'wasn't enough'. He found out later that a *load* of his old students had rung up and were told it 'likely wouldn't go ahead because of numbers':eek: The VEC really want you commit rather than enquire it seems!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Cheers!

I like a bit of dressmaking, and have attended the GTI class twice - the first one was an older woman who was big into her tailoring - if your seam was not perfect, she would make you do over.
    The second time it was a woman in her twenties, who gave the class a more 'creative' spin. Both times I really enjoyed it, but you will not learn a full a-z of sewing from an 8 week class, nor can you sew without some basic materials. The tailoring was the most valuable - showing that even if you are a couple of millimeters off centre when the pattern is pinned on the fabric will make your garment 'twist' and not hang properly.

Most of my learning is through a monthly sewing mag with free patterns and watching little old grannies tutor on You Tube, if I cant make sense of the magazine. I might look into the GCC one though.

• Advertisement

Sure, I can understand completely the importance of being accurate, but most of the classes were spent waiting to use a machine. I would love to try the GCC one..

Since the new year is here and I will be actively looking into these classes, does anyone have any information on dance classes around the city? Preferably swing but also salsa. How much would they usually cost?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement