Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Graphic card? advice wanted!

• 26-12-2010 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

so i got money got money for christmas, with which i intend to buy a decent graphic card, specifically for gaming. i have about 200 euro to spend. however my PC is kinda old, not sure of the exact specs. I was thinking about getting the Nvidia geforce gtx 465 ir AMD radeon hd 6850.
    has anyone any advice? opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

id say the lads in the Graphics Cards forums would be able to give ya the best advice:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=596

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭evil-yoda

ah i didnt find that fourm! thanks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

What size monitor do you have? whats the resolution you will be gaming with?

What about your power supply unit, what model and how many watts is it?

Keep in mind as well that the CPU and system, if they are old, can bottleneck, esp. powerful cards like the 460 and 6850

Jonny7 wrote: »
    What size monitor do you have? whats the resolution you will be gaming with?

What about your power supply unit, what model and how many watts is it?

Keep in mind as well that the CPU and system, if they are old, can bottleneck, esp. powerful cards like the 460 and 6850

not quite sure... my father will be looking at the real technical stuff, hes the expert. I just thought i';d ask here
    I can tell you that my machine is a Dell optiplex 745, pentium D i think as well

I'm a newbie at this

Then dude.. pentium D.. think you are pretty screwed..

There is an optiplex with a slow core2duo and I think that one is about the best

Also, if you have the slimline model (the extra narrow one) then .. thats also not good

Basically, if you did actually somehow manage to get the GTX460 into one of those and hooked up, it'd be like sticking a Ferrari engine into a fiat.. it would just .. not work

When you come back with the tech specs and whether its slimline or normal (i.e. can fit a normal card) then we can give you some possible options

Otherwise it looks like you'll have to magically turn that 200 quid into 300.. and get something from adverts.ie or an ultra budget gaming PC (and no those ones you are looking at on ebay right now for 287 euros buy it now are _NOT_ gaming pcs)

• Advertisement

its a normal one, not slimline.

okay, find out the processor

do you have an icon on your PC called "my computer"?

right click on that and choose properties..

what does it say? it tells you how much ram you have as well..

right here we go
    Processor= intel pentium d 2.8 ghz
    Ram= 4.00 gb
    64 bit operating system

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

AMD 6870 is a great card.

Ouch, the best you can do in your situation is to pick up the ATI 4670 graphics card

It doesn't require any power cables to be plugged into it from the PSU (on most models).. and it will run with older 300 watt PSU's (I know I've had one for over 2 years and it runs in just about anything) - about 65 euros new, 30 to 40 euros secondhand on ebay

Then you could run games, like world of warcraft, but the newer ones within the last 2 or 3 years, some will require you run them on low settings and even then some will be jerky (you won't get GTA running on that and the latest Call of Dutys will have a very tough time)

Thats the best you can do..

Or

you could wait till something comes along on adverts.ie, a core2duo PC with a 8800GT(X) perhaps.. about 200 euros

Or

just save.. budget unbuilt PC's from germany start at 300ish minimum.

Right now, AMD processors are insane value, ram is very cheap.. the biggest cash outlet is the graphics card and the operating system.

• Advertisement

thanks guys
    I think i'll save for a decent PC :)
    So I'll be able to get the thing about May. being a poor student sucks.
    I'll just sell some of my guitar amps!

ok, trying to decide what to save for... theres a nice PC for 499.99, with a AMD Athlon II X3 440 processor. Would that be enough for games? and enough to run the Nvidia and AMD i mentioned earlier if required?
    Like i said, i'm new to this

Most prebuilt PC makers (dell, hp, whatever) put a nice chip in their machine and the standard 4 gigs of ram and 1tb harddrive... (fine for internet, browsing, media)

...unfortunately for us they save on the motherboard, power supply, case and crucially.. the graphics card - because they know most buyers won't have much of a clue

I strongly suggest that when you have the cash, you go to the 'building and upgrading' section on these boards and post up your budget and we'll spec a capable budget gaming machine that'll last you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Have a look on adverts.ie, usually some good deals on there ;) , else I'd try the tech forum

Failing that, submit a budget and requirement to the forum, some of the peeps im sure will help you out with pricing of parts so you can build your own. May seem a daunting task, but it really is quite easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Big +1 for adverts.ie. It's a member site of boards so you can log in with your boards.ie username and password.

Most of the custom built desktops for sale on there are really good value and built well. If they aren't there are enough people asking the right kinds of questions to weed out the scams.

It's like this forum, but you end up with a killer piece of kit at the end of it. WIN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭chrabo

i get radeon 6870 nice and fast card. SAY NO to nvida

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

as most people are saying the 2 main choices of cards to get are the GTX 460 or the AMD 6870, these will see you gaming for years
    but not in your current spec, so if you can get together about €600 then you will be able to build a good gaming pc that will be way better than a €1000 Dell pc

ok thanks! I'll let you know when i've saved enough ;)

Advertisement