Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Graphic Card! Advice?

Options
  • 26-12-2010 6:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

so i'm getting a new graphic card with the money i got for xmas. Specificaly for gaming. I'm thinking of the amd radeon hd 6850 or nvidia geforce gtx 465.
    Not sure of the system specs, but it is a dell optiplex 745.
    Any advice or opinions welcome?
    I'm new to this by the way :) very new lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

You need to give your system specs. Without that people can't help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭evil-yoda

i know. i looked at the dell website, cant quite find my model. i'll have them asap

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I've had a look at the general specs for the 745 range and it doesn't look too good. I would have thought that some of the more powerful cards would be wasted because of system bottleneck or possibly not even function because of an underpowered psu. Indeed, it looks like the psu types range from 220w to 305w.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Such a powerful card would be a waste and I doubt the PSU could handle it either. What size is the case of you particular model, and what CPU and RAM does it currently have? Also, what is the maximum resolution of your monitor?

Ultimately I think that you're going to be slightly CPU-bottlenecked in demanding newer games if you have the most recent Opti745 model (which has a C2D for CPU). If you have an older version or CPU... sorry, I think its New Build Time if you want to play 3D games on it :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭evil-yoda

yeah i checked the specs, its a pentium d!
    damn, i'll just go the whole hog and save for a better pc!
    Thanks anyway guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement