Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock & Metal bands that sing in Irish

Options
  • 26-12-2010 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

I started a similar thread in Teach na nGealt but I figured I might as well post it here too as I'm not too sure what the community is like over there. I don't post there often enough :o

Basically I'm a big fan of Rock & Metal when sung in a language other than English but I've yet to come across any Rock or Metal bands that sing in Irish. Do any exist?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I dunno about the in Irish part, but I do agree on hearing hearing stuff sang in other languages. The Nordic are great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

In Extremo sing -As Gaeilge- and have done for a long time

and it's ''proper Gaelic''
    not the watered down bollox that is taught in schools nowadays

but it's not every song that is sung in irish
    they also sing in
    latin
    german
    english
    and a couple of ''lost'' european languages too

here is one of their best known songs As gaeilge

Enjoy

Corvus Corax another german band i'll try find a few of their as gaeilge song for you
    Eluveitie are from switzerland and have an entire album in Gallic( i know it's not quite Gaeilge, but gaeilge originated from Gallic)
    Mael Mórdha are irish and sing almost entirely As Gaeilge
    Primordial are from dublin i think and sing mostly as Gaeilge
    there i a few more gimme a minute and i'll find them :D

oh here's a translation for the song
    i'm not too sure how accurate it is but it looks pretty close

Lá Gera amháin
    Ná li sé ina theannta
    Shéid an stoirm, bhris na tonnta
    Lá ar bhádh a stór sa mhuir
    Chaoin an ghaod oíche
    Chaoin sí ina cluas
    Fada amach
    Chuaigh sé
    Do stór caillte

One Winter's day
    He didn't lie with her (?)
    The storm blew, the waves broke
    On the day her love drowned on the sea
    The wind keened at night
    It cried in her ear
    Far out
    He went
    Your lost love

refrain:

'Liam, 'Liam, bím I gcónai I do theannta
    'Liam, 'Liam, Tá grá agam don mhuir
    'Liam, 'Liam, 'Liam, 'Liam, 'Liam, 'Liam
    Beidh mé cout gan mhoill

Liam, Liam, I am always with you
    Liam, Liam, I love the sea
    Liam etc
    I will be ?? soon

I mbád a hathair
    Lan sí le highri gréine
    Sheol si de lá is d'oíche
    D'impigh sí na Dayha
    Bhí an chinnúint léi
    Rinne said trócaire uirthi
    Fada amuigh
    Ansin bhuail sí le long

In her father's boat
    She filled (?) with the rise of the sun
    She sailed day and night
    She entreated/ prayed to the gods
    Destiny was with her/it was her fate
    They had mercy on her
    Far away
    Then she met a ship

refrain

'Chaptaen, cogar anois dom
    An bhfuil mo stór in bhur measc
    Strac na tonnta é thar bhord
    Rug an mhuir fhián é léi
    Chaoin an cailín
    Chaoin sí go gare
    Fada amuigh
    Gur imigh a deora le mhuir

Captain, whisper to me
    Is my love amongst you?
    The waves pulled him over board
    The wild sea took him away
    The girl cried
    She cried until laughter
    Far away
    That her tears went with the sea/joined with the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

the watered down bollox that is taught in schools nowadays
    I don't want to take this thread off down a different direction but I'm curious what you mean by this. Isn't the Irish taught in schools the same (more or less) as what is spoken in the Gaeltacht areas?
    Eluveitie are from switzerland and have an entire album in Gallic( i know it's not quite Gaeilge, but gaeilge originated from Gallic)
    That's interesting, I didn't know Gaulish was the same as Gallic.
    In Extremo
    Corvus Corax
    Mael Mórdha
    Primordial
    Thanks for the list. I will check out those bands a bit more extensively than I have done in past, Mael Mórdha and Primordial especially.

Malice_ wrote: »
    I don't want to take this thread off down a different direction but I'm curious what you mean by this. Isn't the Irish taught in schools the same (more or less) as what is spoken in the Gaeltacht areas?

not necessarily in the 1950's or 60's the irish language was ''simplified''
    by taking out and ''fixing'' the difficult to pronounce words and taking all the dialects and smashing them into one ''easy to learn package''
    basically it made it easier to pronounce for english speaking population
    but in doing so they destroyed proper spelling and pronunciation.

but a lot of the gaeltacht areas still retain their own dialects and only teach these in their schools.

now the likes of In Extremo use 16th - 17th century irish probably closest to the connemara dialect

Malice_ wrote: »
    That's interesting, I didn't know Gaulish was the same as Gallic.

OOPS i was getting confused
    you're right it is Gaulish
    i had to translate from a german site :D
    Eluveitie sing in Gaulish
    i taught they were saying Gälish which is german for irish
    but it was gaülish which is german for Gaulish

they are by no means the same but around the time Gaulish was becoming extinct Scottich Gallic and Irish Gaeilge were developing and ''borrowed' alot of similarities from Gaulish

i hope that made sense my head is spinning now :D

• Advertisement

not necessarily in the 1950's or 60's the irish language was ''simplified''
    by taking out and ''fixing'' the difficult to pronounce words and taking all the dialects and smashing them into one ''easy to learn package''
    basically it made it easier to pronounce for english speaking population
    but in doing so they destroyed proper spelling and pronunciation.
    That's very interesting. I must ask my father about that. My only reference point is my own schooling which for primary school was done mostly through Irish so as far as I was concerned, the Irish I learnt was the Irish that people spoke. I've seen (or more appropriately heard) differences like the way that the dictionary will tell you bicycle is "rothair" but in my experience native speakers say "wyshicle" instead.
    but a lot of the gaeltacht areas still retain their own dialects and only teach these in their schools.
    Oh if only that was the case! I still cringe when I think back to the aural assault that Ulster Irish was when I was doing my Leaving Cert :).
    Eluveitie sing in Gaulish
    i taught they were saying Gälish which is german for irish
    but it was gaülish which is german for Gaulish

they are by no means the same but around the time Gaulish was becoming extinct Scottich Gallic and Irish Gaeilge were developing and ''borrowed' alot of similarities from Gaulish

i hope that made sense my head is spinning now :D
    I think the key is that languages evolve and borrow from each other over time ;). I still remember watching a YouTube video about the Manx language and being fascinated that I could more or less understand the speakers despite the fact that I'd never heard of the language before. It was only after doing some reading up on it I realised that it is closely related to Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Corr Mhóna sing in Irish, great band on record and live.

www.myspace.com/corrmhona

Regarding the Primordial comment, their only full song in Irish is 'Fuil Ársa', on Imrama.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

AaronEnnis wrote: »
    Corr Mhóna sing in Irish, great band on record and live.

www.myspace.com/corrmhona

Regarding the Primordial comment, their only full song in Irish is 'Fuil Ársa', on Imrama.

Beat me too it! Fantastic band is Corr Mhóna. Their ep is a feckin brilliant listen, I've almost worn the cd out at this stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AaronEnnis

Haha yeah, same. 'Mactíre' especially, monster of a track....would love to hear it on a 10'', or even a split 12'' with another Irish band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Clannad and Horslips are two that come to mind. Clannad probably being blasphemous on this board LOL

• Advertisement

Clannad probably being blasphemous on this board LOL
    I hope not. I'd describe them as folk rock which would come under the Rock & Metal forum umbrella.

I just posted this video in another thread but it's relevant here as well.
    I'm not sure how accurate the translation from Gaulish to English is but it's interesting to see the similarity between certain Gaulish and Irish words e.g. "canami" (sing) and "canamid" (we sing) or "atron" (fathers) and "athair" (father).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The only two I know would be

Could be a form of Celtic Rock?

This was released a few years back for Irish Awareness Week or something...

Oh and I absolutely love this one...no clues...

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Cruachan also have a couple of songs in Irish. I saw a French band (Bran Barr) using what I took to be Gàidhlig for the title of some tracks, not sure if they actually sing in it.

And there are loads of more or less obscure French bands singing in Breton, which is related to Irish, and sort of similar (dubh translates as du in Breton).

However, on the subjects of Eluveitie using Gaulish, I'm a bit uneasy with that. Gaulish is indeed related to Irish, but not as nearly as Manx or even Breton. And while you'll always find bucketloads of so-called Gaulish dictionaries, I remember from my classes that not much is known for sure. Just like for many other languages, linguists indulge in heavy recontruction, leading to the publication of "Learn Gaulish in 3 weeks".

Unless the guys from Eluveitie are first-class linguists, I would not put too much faith in their Gaulish :p

/rant

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Unless the guys from Eluveitie are first-class linguists, I would not put too much faith in their Gaulish

Funny enough, I actually met Eluveitie on their support slot to Devildriver in the UK last November, got an interview with them, and asked this question...

The lyrics are often in the extinct language Gaulish. Eluveitie is Helvetic Gaulish for a word that originates from an area that is now Switzerland (which is where the band hail from if you like)

The lead vocalist Chrigel Glanzmann writes mostly all the lyrics and a fair percentage of the music and he's quite anti-Clerical and doesn't seem to like the Catholic Church in the slightest, he spoke a lot about the Church's oppression during the Middle Ages - paying for having sins absolved, that kind of stuff - and mentioned the fact that he studied Ancient Language and Histories at College. So I think, although I can't be 100%, that he might know something about Gaulish

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Funny enough, I actually met Eluveitie on their support slot to Devildriver in the UK last November, got an interview with them, and asked this question...

Excellent!! Eluveitie one of the best folk metal bands out there

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

The lyrics are often in the extinct language Gaulish. Eluveitie is Helvetic Gaulish for a word that originates from an area that is now Switzerland (which is where the band hail from if you like)

The lead vocalist Chrigel Glanzmann writes mostly all the lyrics and a fair percentage of the music and he's quite anti-Clerical and doesn't seem to like the Catholic Church in the slightest, he spoke a lot about the Church's oppression during the Middle Ages - paying for having sins absolved, that kind of stuff - and mentioned the fact that he studied Ancient Language and Histories at College. So I think, although I can't be 100%, that he might know something about Gaulish

Fu*king Love Eluveitie :D

LaBaguette wrote: »
    And there are loads of more or less obscure French bands singing in Breton, which is related to Irish, and sort of similar (dubh translates as du in Breton).
    Sounds interesting, do you have any links?
    LaBaguette wrote:
    Unless the guys from Eluveitie are first-class linguists, I would not put too much faith in their Gaulish :p

/rant
    As Gaulish is an extinct language I guess we'll never know. They could be singing grammatically perfect Gaulish or they could be way off what it used to sound like.

Interestingly when I Google Learn Gaulish in three weeks the fourth link is your post. It even ranks above posts on the official Eluveitie forum asking a similar question :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Cruachan is a great band for sure. I stumbled across 'Tuatha Na Gae'l re-release in 2001 (even if I was still in Germany at that time), and ever since I like them :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

@Motley : Damn, i should have done some research before posting that :p But still, I'm not completely at ease with songs written in a recontructed language.

@Malice : A good start would be Heol Telwen (Dark Sun in Breton). Most of their stuff is either in French or English (although with Breton titles), but some are in Breton. If you can't find it online, I'll have a look.

As for Gaulish, it's more the very limited number of actual texts in that language rather than the fact that it is extinct that makes it elusive, but I agree with you on that. And yes, I made up that title, but you would not have any trouble finding stuff along that line :p

Advertisement