Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just my two cents

• 26-12-2010 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭

Please dont forget your local rescue shelter this christmas..
    I've seen first hand what these people do out of the goodness and love in their hearts for animals it's amazing.
    Doesn't have to be a lot even an extra bag of food or whatever you can afford.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

I second that. It's an awesome idea.
    Most of the independent animal rescue groups and shelters do the most awesome work which, mostly, goes unnoticed.
    I don't work with any of them but I have friends who do and I know that at this time of year they are often full to the gills and on the go 24/7 trying to save, rescue, treat and re-home all the animals who are not so lucky to have kind 'parents'. There are some horror stories to be told and vets bills that would make your eyes water :(
    It would be a wonderful idea if everyone could help out by a simple small donation of either a few euros in cash, a bag or few tins of cat/dog food, a bag of cat litter or even old sheets, towels or cuddly toys.
    Every little bit can go a long way to helping these great groups to continue to do the awesome work that they do and to potentially save another little animals life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

So true, and donations are drying up because people can't afford to give as much or as often anymore eventhough they would like to.
    But people can help in other ways if they can't afford to donate by donating their time with home checks and transport and fundraising.
    If people want to donate food etc. zooplus.co.uk is great you don't even have to go outside your door and it can be delivered straight to the rescue.
    Or even if people are thinking of getting a dog, cat, rabbit etc. and chose to try their local rescue first rather than going out and buying a pet that even helps because each animal adopted means the rescue has space for another needy pet.

If people have unwanted Xmas pressies, or too many boxes of chocs. or spare bottle of wine etc. these can all be used for rescue fundraisers and raffle prizes. If your kids have outgrown their toys but the toys are still in good nick, or books, games etc. there are a few rescues that have charity shops to raise funds e.g. Limerick animal welfare.

Even adding rescues to your facebook or twitter etc. helps spread the word and it costs nothing.

There's also sites ok this is for US rescues but it all counts like free kibble you just click and food gets donated to that rescue, costs you nothing but a minute.

Advertisement