Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weaning off Lexapro, your experience?

Options
  • 26-12-2010 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all, I have been on 10mg Lexapro for the past year and am now, under my docs supervision, weaning off them. I am down now to 5mg every 3 days but still getting a few side effects eg feeling fluey, dizzy on and off etc. I know that goes with the territory but would be interested in hearing other peoples experiences, how long did it take you to wean completely, and how long for the side effects to go?
    Thanks!

Comments

I was being weaned off them in the same way by my doc. Then I went on hols for a week and forget them. It wasn't great but when I just accepted the 'weirdness' I felt was due to going cold turkey I could deal with it a bit better. I felt very irritable, headaches and loss of appetite. Nothing too severe though. Didn't start them when I came home and after 2 weeks felt fine.

I of course do not recommend going cold turkey, but the side affects won't last long. Just persist with it and you'll be fine. Keep some panadol for the headaches and ask loved ones to understand that any mood swings are just from coming off the tablets and you'll be fine in a few weeks...and you will be fine :)

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I was on 20mg, then 15mg for a month, then 10mg for 3 months, then 5mg for 2 months, and now I'm on 5mg every 2 days. Didn't get too many physical side affects, just for the first couple of days after changing dosage, but nothing major. Has played absolute havoc with my mood though! Not sure if I will stop completely. Have only another 3 weeks left so I'll see how I go sure.

I'm sure its different for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mamakitten

Thanks!! Mood wise I have been ok (I think!) except for 2 days this week when I was very weepy and down, but that could just have been a combination of cabin fever, no money and sick kids :).

Ah sure everyone has bad days! Keep going with it for a while and see how you feel. Good luck!

Just to update I am completely off them now about 2 weeks and so far so good. Feeling fine emotionally, still getting few 'brain zaps' esp in the evening when I am tired but they are slowly going away. and I am not feeling as tired as I was on the meds.

• Advertisement

Thats great! I went back up to 10mg about 3 weeks ago, just wasn't coping well. Feeling much better now though.

You should be really proud of yourself, I think its a big achievement :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Xclusiv Barber

Can i ask, seein as wer all friends, do u smoke any weed or drink alcohol much/little. I hav previously been on 20mg a day wit 3 lexotan per day too. On 10mg now and no lexotan. And i try to go for a walk, when my sis died i was motivated enough to train and run marathon for charity in her honour and as a passionate NON RUNNER after one horrible month i felt fantastic when running which kept me goin all day. Must get back to a bit of runnin. R u able to get any time for yourself for a run or walk durin the day?

Hey there. How ye gettin on today?

Hi princess peach, thanks! I am glad I am off them now. Dont get me wrong they did the job, I was happy to take them and would again if necessary but I dont need them at the moment tg. I have to say they are not easy to come off though , you defo have to be ready, and know what side to effects to expect.

Xclusiv Barber , I dont smoke at all and wouldnt drink much either, it just doesnt agree with me, I feel really nauseous after just few!! I dont exercise much either, I am waaaay to lazy :o and dont get the 'buzz' from it that other people seem to. Thats my excuse anyway :D

Cool. Take it from one who did far too much of every substance, in the end they are all depressants and my point is its best to stay away from them. Latch on to one thing u love, doesn't hav to be walkin, could be a book, painting, havin friends round, a good ride.... Whatever floats ur boat giv urself time for it, theres only one you, u no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

xclusiv barber, could you please avoid text speak in your posts, as it makes them difficult to read.

thanks

Never been asked that before. Didn't realise my slightly abbreviated texting was overly difficult to understand. Apologies. No problem whatsoever. Full words from hereon! Regards x.b.

Never been asked that before. Didn't realise my slightly abbreviated texting was overly difficult to understand. Apologies. No problem whatsoever. Full words from hereon! Regards x.b.

it's expressly mentioned in the charter of this forum, and its a general rule site-wide.

for many people, text-speak is head-wrecking.

I did already previously state my apology. That rule should be enforced throughout the boards as it appears to be commonplace hence my mistakenly assuming text speak was tolerated as many forums and threads in boards seem to be at it. I came to this particular thread given the fact that it relates to a medication dedicated to depression, the side effects of said drug include poor concentration sleepiness laziness etc all things i too suffer. Given the nature of this thread i'm sure you will understand i may have lost concentration while reading the rules. I hope this is the matter put to bed. May i respectfully ask if this thread is moderated by individuals on lexapro? I ask simply because i do not know. I respectfully state i am disillusioned by this thread and am greatly upset that the matter was discussed publicly not privately and not mentioned just once but twice in public messages not private conversation so I'll be off now elsewhere i think.

I did already previously state my apology..

and that's fine. i was merely letting you know it is a site-wide policy, as you expressed some surprise.
    That rule should be enforced throughout the boards as it appears to be commonplace hence my mistakenly assuming text speak was tolerated as many forums and threads in boards seem to be at it..

see above

May i respectfully ask if this thread is moderated by individuals on lexapro? I ask simply because i do not know..

respectfully, thats none of your business. nobody here is obliged to disclose their medical information. if they wish to do so, thats a different matter entirely.

I respectfully state i am disillusioned by this thread and am greatly upset that the matter was discussed publicly not privately and not mentioned just once but twice in public messages not private conversation so I'll be off now elsewhere i think.

it is commonplace on boards for moderator instructions to be given on-thread, rather than privately.

I seem to have offended you and this being the case i apologise most unreservedly. I was not prying in what quite rightly is your own business, i guess it was badly worded. i was trying to ascertain if everyone on this thread had a personal real life experience of lexapro withdrawal or any other substance in this field. As i'm new to this i perhaps assumed the information i asked you about had been established already , i guess i presumed a sort of 'group therapy' or 'takes one to know one' type of perspective was the case in a thread as delicate and sensitive as this. I was merely attempting to reach out, bond, share, whatever, as such a thing is difficult for me and near impossible in the real world. Sincere apologies

I seem to have offended you and this being the case i apologise most unreservedly. I was not prying in what quite rightly is your own business, i guess it was badly worded. i was trying to ascertain if everyone on this thread had a personal real life experience of lexapro withdrawal or any other substance in this field. As i'm new to this i perhaps assumed the information i asked you about had been established already , i guess i presumed a sort of 'group therapy' or 'takes one to know one' type of perspective was the case in a thread as delicate and sensitive as this. I was merely attempting to reach out, bond, share, whatever, as such a thing is difficult for me and near impossible in the real world. Sincere apologies

you havent offended me and you dont need to apologise. i was merely pointing out site policy.

Advertisement