Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Texaco, South Douglas Rd, Cork City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Does it not have a sign outside telling you the price before you go in? If so, read it & decide if you're willing to pay the going rate. You don't read it, its your problem. If not, its illegal (I believe) and a rip-off.

Remember that stations that are not owned by the oil companies often have to pay more for the fuel before mark-up than many oil company-owned stations sell the same fuel to the public for. The rip-off is from the oil company rather than the stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Does it not have a sign outside telling you the price before you go in? If so, read it & decide if you're willing to pay the going rate. You don't read it, its your problem. If not, its illegal (I believe) and a rip-off.

Get off your bloody high horse. Just because there is a sign outside showing the price doesnt mean its a Rip off. 1.54 is a disgraceful price when the South Link Service station is charging 1.38 for a litre of Petrol.

I remember the days when that Texaco was a contender for the cheapest station in the city. Then Esso in the main Douglas road closed and for some reason Texaco's prices skyrocketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Oh I didn't pay it, no way:D
    I turned the car around and left.

That's easy for me of course, not so easy for the old folks who are terrified of driving on treacherous roads. I'm sure they probably paid it.
    Remember that stations that are not owned by the oil companies often have to pay more for the fuel before mark-up than many oil company-owned stations sell the same fuel to the public for. The rip-off is from the oil company rather than the stations.

Look at the price history chart in the link I supplied in my original post.
    December 23: 144 per litre
    December 25: 154 per liltre

Those pesky oil companies.
    The next highest price in Cork is €1.47 per litre on the Model Farm Road and also at Frankfield.

I believe Hogzy has a point about the proximity of other petrol stations, during the most dangerous driving conditions I can remember.:D

Rip Off/Profiteering - Tomato/Tomayto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

staffing a petrol station on xmas day probably costs them an arm and a leg, so I'd always expect them to charge a bit extra to cover the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭marvsins

staffing a petrol station on xmas day probably costs them an arm and a leg, so I'd always expect them to charge a bit extra to cover the cost

Fair point, if it is €1.54 tomorrow then its a rip off. Staff would be on double time at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    http://pumps.ie/viewStation.php?stationID=986
    €1.54 for a litre of petrol on the South Douglas Road, Cork.

Makes Cork Airport look reasonable!:D

did you actually see that price or are you solely going by the price inputted into pumps.ie? - looking at that station's price history, they are always near the average national prices.

so either it was a premium price for christmas day or it has been entered by error.

fuel prices are watched by most consumers, so any station more than 2c out of the area's average would see turnover drop considerably very quickly.

btw - The COMBINED share of petrol price shared between retail & distribution is 10c / litre. The cost of petrol is currently about 50c per litre - EVERY other cent (83c at today's average) goes to revenue commisioners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

back down to 145.9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

91011 wrote: »
    btw - The COMBINED share of petrol price shared between retail & distribution is 10c / litre. The cost of petrol is currently about 50c per litre - EVERY other cent (83c at today's average) goes to revenue commisioners.

Good statistic.

Advertisement