Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cemeteries/graveyards in Waterford

• 26-12-2010 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

No, I'm not planning my final resting place, just a bit of research into cemeteries/graveyards in Waterford City and County and a wish to visit them this spring.

Does anybody know of a source for a full list of the above and I am particularly interested in ones no longer in use.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

for a moment there I though you were booking in :D

This gentleman might be able to help you. (Donal Moore)

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/departments/archives/index.htm

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The two graveyards beside Tramore Catholic church are no longer in use - there only using the one down in Riverstown. Then there is the other smaller one used by the Church of Ireland on Church Road not sure if its still in use or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Many thanks,

I've looked the City records which are online and those of the County Museum also.

What I'm looking is a simple list of cemeteries in the city and county. My interest in more on protestant graveyards - OK, I'll come clean: Protestants more commonly planted snowdrops on the graves of their families and it is the snowdrops which interest me.

Snowdrop bulbs were regularly brought back from the Crimea, for example, and ended up on graves. They often interbred with other snowdrops and some interesting hybrids can arise.

Yes, a major anorak hobby but an inoffensive one.

Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 S_Snail

You could try some of the local historical societies. I know there are some people in the Gaultier Historical Society who are interested in graveyards, you could contact Pat in Hayes pub in Dunmore who organises it.

+353 (0)51 383657
    hayespubkillea@imagine.ie

I also found this which may be of use for contacting other societies.
    http://www.munster-express.ie/business/history-network-aims-to-link-waterford%E2%80%99s-historical-groups/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The Protestant church in Tramore has a graveyard, small enough, but it might be what you need.

• Advertisement

Again,

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on this information - all leads for me to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

You might want to wait a month or two before you go visiting Graveyards as aren’t Snowdrops the first sign of Spring ?

Snowdrops are sometimes confused with their relatives, snowflakes which we had plenty of last week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭enfield

The Waterford War Dead (just pulished) has info on soldiers who died in ww1 that are buried in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

there a protestant grave yard by st. annes tennis club
    theres a templar grave yard in ballybeg.
    there a book on grave yard in the south kilkenny area
    there a quaker grave yard on new town road
    where the fire station IS there was a grave yard there also
    the small park in the city was a quaker grave yard
    ballygunner G.Y. is another very old
    there a protestant G.y. in ferrybank down by the river
    theres another on the dunmore road just before the woodlands hotel.
    there another grave yard on the airport road just passed the airport roundabout.

1971, certainly a good list to start with. Many thanks.

Funfair, the earlier snowdrops are already in flower in my garden.

Enfield, good suggestion, many thanks.

Many thanks, everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Does anyone know anything about the graveyard down by the dumped? It hasn't being used in decades and is centuries old.

Where abouts, Finnbar?

theres a templar grave yard in ballybeg. (dump)

Knights templar just look at the head stones

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

1971 wrote: »
    theres a templar grave yard in ballybeg. (dump)

Knights templar just look at the head stones
    That graveyard is called Kilbarry, other disused graveyards are Kill Saint Lawrence past Johns Park, The Abbey Church near Christendom Ferrybank had snowdrops last time i was there. Down in Wyse Park, Johns Lane is the graveyard of Saint Johns Priory. Saint Olafs Church in the City has a disused graveyard. Saint Patricks Church in Patrick also has a disused graveyard.

Navalus,

You are a fountain of information. Many thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Wyse park was a Quaker graveyard. You might find something there.

what the name on the grave yard that the fire station is now on??

there another grave yard by the knockkeen dolman,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

there was a graveyard close to where lacken wood is now. 100 metres down from where the old Southend pitch was. maybe try that...

was in that 1 before

Dayshah,

Peculiarly, Quaker graveyards will never have flowers. They believe in a simply unadorned approach to life and death and, so, no flowers on their graves, simple gravestones etc.

Many thanks to all.

Black Dog wrote: »
    Where abouts, Finnbar?

Down by the dump. Say if you're going into the dump it would be on your right. It is very overgrown when I was down there last (about 15 years ago) and some of the headstones/tombs were very impressive with carvings, inscriptions etc.

Don't know what condition it is in now though.

• Advertisement

Finbarr, Many thanks. I'll go exploring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Why dont you go through the old 25" and 6" maps for the area, They're available on OSI

here's the graveyard by the dump

here's the Kill St. Lawrence one

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    Down by the dump. Say if you're going into the dump it would be on your right. It is very overgrown when I was down there last (about 15 years ago) and some of the headstones/tombs were very impressive with carvings, inscriptions etc.

Don't know what condition it is in now though.
    There is a table tomb in Kilbarry Grave yard to the Fitzgerald Family dated 1598, its in latin and has a lovely coat of arms, a lot of gravestone inscriptions for the city are in the Waterford Room in the city library.

Typhoon,

A brilliant idea!

Many thanks.

just maybe 1 more Ballybricken church has it own grave yard, with the methodist church in patrick street that 2 in the same area;)

there another one faithlegg church just as yuo turn down to the hotel, there is aplace that could be of interest to you

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

John's Hill Cemetry ( beside St Anne's tennis club ) has a lot of army/police graves - the gated entrance is open from 9.30 & leads to a lovely tree shaded avenue.

There is a small church which due to vandalism has had to be boarded up - truly sad to see.

As another poster said there is not really a lot of ostentation involved in Protestant graveyards.

deise blue wrote: »
    John's Hill Cemetry ( beside St Anne's tennis club ) has a lot of army/police graves - the gated entrance is open from 9.30 & leads to a lovely tree shaded avenue.

There is a small church which due to vandalism has had to be boarded up - truly sad to see.

As another poster said there is not really a lot of ostentation involved in Protestant graveyards.

That is truely sad indeed. Years back when I was a young lad we would often go cycling out the old kilmeaden road with my Dad. There is a beautiful church out that way, just beside the Waterford Lodge, which was pretty much intact. It was hidden away by overgrown bushes so very hard to see from the road.

Unfortunately, the bushes/trees were removed, it was soon discovered and that lead to it's vandalisation.

I don't get vandals at all.

BTW, does anyone know what's happening with the church down from the Ballybricken Garda station, St Patrick's I think it's called??

Many thanks for all the help and information. Greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 wcstone

navalus wrote: »
    That graveyard is called Kilbarry, other disused graveyards are Kill Saint Lawrence past Johns Park, The Abbey Church near Christendom Ferrybank had snowdrops last time i was there. Down in Wyse Park, Johns Lane is the graveyard of Saint Johns Priory. Saint Olafs Church in the City has a disused graveyard. Saint Patricks Church in Patrick also has a disused graveyard.

Does anybody know the name of the Quaker's graveyard in Newtown?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭deise blue

wcstone wrote: »
    Does anybody know the name of the Quaker's graveyard in Newtown?

It is simply known as the Newtown Quakers Cemetery.

Advertisement