Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tottenham -v- Newcastle United (match thread)

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Clean sheet *faints*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Lads, delighted with the win! Hats off to Dawson, motm imo, had Carroll in his pocket all game. He's come on so much over the past year, he's no longer prone to those stupid mistakes he used to make so, so often. Modric was as per usual sublime. Really bossed the game when we went down to 10 men. Thought Bale looked shagged, seemed unwilling to make those trademark lung bursting runs. Also have to give credit to Harry for his subs, all paid off, Jenas was great for us when he came on. Having 10 men seems to suit us, with Lennon and Bale getting plenty of free space. Delighted too with the clean sheet, came against Newcastle of all teams, thought they might score a header or two before the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Ref was completely crap
    Newcastle were just playing to spoil
    Kaboul was stupid

but overall justice was done and 3 more points in the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭fabvinny

another great result,and a clean sheet too!!! mighty!!! think thats 10 games unbeaten!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Should we start a "race for 1st" thread? :)

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

ziedth wrote: »
    Should we start a "race for 1st" thread? :)

Well the race for 4th from last season worked out very well so why not ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

fabvinny wrote: »
    another great result,and a clean sheet too!!! mighty!!! think thats 10 games unbeaten!!
    8 in the league our longest run under Harry can't remember the last time we have gone so many without a loss 10 in all competitions

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭wellboys

Great performance all round, apart from that one moment of stupidity from Kaboul. Should've stuck him a right one though!

4th place for tonight.. Fingers crossed Bolton and Chelsea draw!

Title contenders.. Yes we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

good win. two great finishes.

dawson kept carrol very quiet n credit to him for that.
    barton was terrible today n i think newcastle missed him which helped us out a lot.
    clean sheet!
    3 pts.
    apart from the red card(deserved if im honest) happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Always nice to have gracious and unbiased opposing fans in the debate as well, it'll make for an interesting rematch on the 22nd of January!

• Advertisement

You know in the last 8 games we've gone and clawed 12 points back on Chelsea to go ahead of them which is amazing

If we can still be 5/7 points off 3rd in say 5 games time we'll be laughing. I think it's easy to say that the spurs of old would have dropped points in at least one of the last two games.

If we can still be 5/7 points off 3rd in say 5 games time we'll be laughing. I think it's easy to say that the spurs of old would have dropped points in at least one of the last two games.
    The worst thing is there are so many games we could and should of won that would of had us laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

The worst thing is there are so many games we could and should of won that would of had us laughing

Yea its sick thinking back, 1st game of the season at home to City, we played animal in the first half ( or second half can't member) but should have had all 3 points. The Wigan game at home, and the West ham game away. That would be 7 more points which would have us sitting pretty top of the league!

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Yea its sick thinking back, 1st game of the season at home to City, we played animal in the first half ( or second half can't member) but should have had all 3 points. The Wigan game at home, and the West ham game away. That would be 7 more points which would have us sitting pretty top of the league!
    Should of held on for wins v birmingham and Chelsea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Should of held on for wins v birmingham and Chelsea

If only, if only!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Painful thinking!

Ah i mean we could have beaten Wigan and Easily lost to Arsenal ya know? I believe these things balance out.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Before tonight's game, City were top and we are 5 points behind them with a game in hand. Six great points, given the circumstances. How many Spurs teams of recent years would have ended up with one point out of six

Going slightly OT, what odds would the bookies have given for Blackpool to be 6 points behind Chelsea with a game in hand on December 28th??

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Ah i mean we could have beaten Wigan and Easily lost to Arsenal ya know? I believe these things balance out.

They can do but dropped points at home is always costly and we've done that on too many occasions already this season.

Man City, Wigan, Everton, Sunderland and Chelsea have all come away from WHL with a point or three so far this season. We have only won 50% of our home games and that equates to a serious amount of dropped points. 11 to be precise. Sure, no-one expects to have a 100% win ratio at home throughout a season but I'd guess that the top 4 teams would be be looking for at least 75%-80% win ratio.

Fortunately for us it's been a fairly competitive league from top to bottom so far and top four sides are losing or drawing games that we'd never expect. Therefore if we can keep improving, as we have done since the return of key injured players, then come May 2011, I think we have a very good chance of challenging for another 'top four' finish.

As for the Title itself, well my heart says maybe just maybe but realistically my head says for this year (at least), just get into that top four again.

Key games will be against other contenders, so we'll need to a get point or more away at Man City and Chelsea, plus getting wins against Man Utd and Arsenal at home.

Hopefully the CL and FA Cup distractions do not affect our league too much in 2011.

• Advertisement

I'm hearing conflicting reports regarding Kaboul's red card. Did he have a yellow first? If so, it's a second yellow and he should only get a 1 match ban, or will he still get 3 games because the 2nd yellow as for violent conduct?

Even if your on a first yellow and get a straight red (like Kaboul did) it's a 3 game ban.

Silly decision from him but it does happen I guess.

Thanks - very stupid alright. As Harry mentioned, there's plenty of competition in that position and if Gallas or Bassong play well, they'll be difficult to dislodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Harry Redknapp:

"We shouldn't have gone down to 10. It was stupid. It's a lack of discipline. (Younes Kaboul) has got to learn. You are 1-0 up so why do you have to get involved in something like that? It's absolute nonsense and he has to learn. He is a young boy and has been fantastic for us this year. He has been everything I always thought he would be. Now he has become a top-class centre-half but he has gone and got himself suspended for three games."

Younes Kaboul has issued an apology to fans and team-mates for the actions that led to his sending off in Tuesday’s 2-0 victory over Newcastle.

The defender appeared to head-butt Cheik Tiote in an off-the-ball incident midway through the second half, which resulted in a straight red card from referee Anthony Taylor.

Younes insists his actions were out of character and the result of what he feels to have been a dangerous challenge from the Ivorian midfielder.

He said: “I received what I felt was a bad tackle from the player and that’s why I reacted the way I did.

“I know I should not do this and it’s not in my nature.

“I apologise to my team and would like to say sorry to the fans and I hope we will not see that on the pitch again.”

Despite going down to 10 men with the score still at 1-0, the lads pushed on to make sure of our second win in the space of three days over the festive period.

Younes was delighted with the performance, adding: “We showed very good character. It was a hard game and at half-time it was 0-0.

“We wanted to score early in the second half and take control of the game and that’s what we did. The most important thing was to take the three points.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Another good 3 points.
    Hopefully we can build on the clean sheet and keep a couple more.
    Bale in double figures already this season, a massive contribution.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Great day at the Lane yesterday and another 3 points for us,It would be a great xmas period if we can beat Fulham next weekend...coys

Advertisement