Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you agree with pubs being closed on Christmas Day & Good Friday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

i agree with christmas day because staff deserve to be with their families

What about pub staff who are orphans?

Maybe they'd love to work!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

As time changes so do these idea's as shown somewhere else pubs used to have to close on Paddy's day and no longer has to. Pubs used to have to shut for 2 hours on sunday so the staff could go to mass i belive. So who says that Good Friday and Christmas will stay aswell. As another poster said maybe opening for a short period of time is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Yeah I do!
    not religious in anyway but I do agree with the few holidays we have due to the Catholics!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I would never go to the pub on Xmas day myself because personally I consider it a family day at home, but I can't stand a person being denied their right to choose. The government put people in this position every day (speeding laws, drug laws, drink driving laws etc) but for the good of the community. The pubs closing on these two days is a foundless relic of an oppression that needs to be stamped out. Don't get me wrong I don't deny proud Catholics their opinion but if they don't want to go to the pub on these days then don't go. Don't throw it on everyone else.

There are lots of businesses in Britain that offer Xmas day lunches for people who want to have the fun of the meal and the drink without the wash up. In the current climate I'm sure that would suit a great many Irish businesses.

The fiasco surrounding the alcohol debate last G. Friday concerning the Munster v Leinster match was one of the most embarrassing I've experienced as a proud Irish man. A rep from the Magners league was explaining the fixture date on the radio with both teams in mind concerning their following European Cup fixtures and was being attacked by pious people on air. As pleasent as he was you could almost hint in his voice the desire to say 'It's not our fault you lot are still a backwards shower of shítes, join the modern world'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Religions sure do like their drink! :p

But, seriously, Muslims don't drink alcohol: it's forbidden.

EDIT: As to whether or not pubs should be closed on Christmas Day and Good Friday, I agree on both accounts. Partly because, as a practicing Catholic, I feel it's respectful to close shop on the latter day. And because on Christmas Day...well, it's traditionally about being with family, so why not let the staff off too?
    Ever since the phenomenon that is the 24 hour garage came in the 'close up shop' tradition is long gone. Or maybe the Polish staff don't have the same familial rights as the Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Random wrote: »
    pubs should be allowed open whenever they want.

Including 24 Hrs opening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Good Friday - No, Christmas Day - Yes

I'm an atheist so religion has no baring on me or my decisions, Easter is pretty much pointless in my opinion, it has no place in the 21st century except to bore everyone to tears so yeah keep the pubs open why not.

Christmas is a different story, while I don't believe in the religious aspect I think that it's a day for family and especially kids. Sadly I know far too many people who use any excuse to get pissed and xmas is no different. Because the pubs are closed they usually drink at home on these days which is particularly pathetic imho, if they weren't the kids would either be left at home while their parents disappear for the day or left sitting in the corner of the pub playing with their Nintendo DS's while mammy and daddy get drunk. Some people might think I am being a little harsh but I know people who got up and started drinking at half five on Christmas morning, and they have 2 young kids, imagine what kind of fupped up day those kids had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

jkjhngk wrote: »
    How about have it so that company's don't close either???? let's hear the uproar if that was suggested
    Oh dear, talk about missing the point! They can open if they wish.

Imagine the uproar if it was suggested all establishments selling food were forced to close on the supposed birthday of the invisible pink unicorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I think that pubs should be open on Good Friday as it's just another day for most of the country. I think that Christmas Day should still be a closed day for everything bar essential services and workplaces. I'm not religious but I still think that Christmas is one of our major national holidays and the most important one from a family point of view. Letting everyone get together at home as a day off suits about 99% of people so I think it should remain a closed day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I'm not religious but I still think that Christmas is one of our major national holidays and the most important one from a family point of view. Letting everyone get together at home as a day off suits about 99% of people so I think it should remain a closed day.

It is a nice image that you portray here but not everyone is at home with their families on Christmas Day.

• Advertisement

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It is a nice image that you portray here but not everyone is at home with their families on Christmas Day.

That isn't much of an excuse to go to the pub.

orourkeda wrote: »
    That isn't much of an excuse to go to the pub.

Who said it was? The option should be there should somebody want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Oh, I know that. I've been doing some work over Christmas myself but at the end of the day for the vast majority of Irish people Christmas is a family holiday where people get together. I don't see Christmas as an idealised fairytale holiday but it is a day for most people to be at home (whatever that is for them).
    Who said it was? The option should be there should somebody want to.
    And for every few people who really genuinely want that option there's a one poor bastard who'll spend their day working instead of relaxing with family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

They should be allowed open whenever they like. Its farcical that a business can not open due to crazed religious laws. They would do great business as well on xmas day.

And for every few people who really genuinely want that option there's a one poor bastard who'll spend their day working instead of relaxing with family.

Boo hoo. If they don't like the working conditions then they know what they can do. Should nurses, doctors, Gardaí, garage workers and all of the other people who do work on Christmas Day have the day off too to spend with their families or is it ok for some to work but not for the majority?

Do pub staff not have the rest of the year to spend with their families or do they work every single day of the year with the exception of Good Friday and Christmas Day?

How does the rest of the planet cope with this travesty of places selling alcohol on "family day".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

He might not consider himself a "poor bastard", quite the literal opposite, my brothers mate used to fight to get the christmas day shift in statoil and got paid a fortune for it. They might want to save the day off for some other time. It's weird how some people view christmas holidays as some sort of free time off, like people saying "ohh you lucky bastard, you're off till jan 4th" -WTF? I am being forced to take those off out of annual leave, I would much prefer to pick off days of my choice.

If few people want the option then few pubs will open, just like it would be hard to find a barber open on 25th december, but if there were enough willing customers they might open up -at least they have the option.

In the UK the pubs are allowed to open and serve alcohol and there appears to be demand.

Pubs can open here, just not serve booze, the leopardstown inn opens on good friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well I posted earlier in the thread that in 1927, the rules were introduced for Christmas Day, Good Friday and St. Patricks Day

Yes, for decades pubs were closed on St Patricks Day, I bet your parents remember this if you don't believe me.

In the next few decades the Good Friday ban will be eroded, it already was last year and one day we'll look back and wonder at it.

But for me, pubs should always be shut on Christmas Day, but that's just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

Wouldn't be too fussed about Good Friday but i'd hate to work Christmas Day. I work in the pub industry and it's nice to off when most other people are off. Always working New Years, Easter, Bank Holidays etc when everyone else it seems are enjoying themselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

It's only a matter of time and the pubs will be open every day of the year, which I think is only right. As somebody else mentioned, the Christmas shift is sought for by some. In my job, we have to volunteer if we want to work as skeleton staff over Christmas and get double pay. They have to turn loads of people down because so many apply for it.

And, as far as the whole parents getting hammered in the pub while their children are left destitute, people get rakes of drink in before Christmas. Way more than necessary because they know they won't be able to buy it on the 25th. If parents are going to get wasted, they will do it at home.

A friend of mine goes to England for Christmas and pre-Christmas day they get in a lot of party food. They go for their main meal in the pub, have a couple of pints, and then head home and graze on sausage rolls, etc. for the rest of the evening. Completely saves anybody having to take on the huge task that is Christmas dinner. It's not for everybody, but it would be a good option to have.

Don't see the problem really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

It makes no sense at all..My own opinion is that pubs should be allowed open when ever they want..The whole 3am closing time to me makes no sense for reasons we all know..As for the days mentioned, we are a multi cultural society...Should we not cater for others??..We are not all Catholics who go to bed early!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Give it a decade, bit by bit these days will get worn away with exemptions until eventually they are gone

We'll have this same thread next Holy Week, same thread every year..........

Boo hoo. If they don't like the working conditions then they know what they can do. Should nurses, doctors, Gardaí, garage workers and all of the other people who do work on Christmas Day have the day off too to spend with their families or is it ok for some to work but not for the majority?

Do pub staff not have the rest of the year to spend with their families or do they work every single day of the year with the exception of Good Friday and Christmas Day?

How does the rest of the planet cope with this travesty of places selling alcohol on "family day".

A pub isnt a vital service. At least not in the same way as a hospital or a police station is. Nurses and Gardai are probably on double or treble time for working christmas day. Perhaps it's not feasible from a financial standpoint for pubs to open on christmas day. This is perhaps magnified given the present economic climate.

After all pubs are open 363 days a year. I cant see the harm in them closing for 2 days of the year

Yes I do. Both days. Both for secular reasons.

I'd like Good Friday to become a day when we remember the damage, the death, the broken homes and the destroyed lives that alcohol and drug abuse brings to society.

Christmas Day is a day to be spent at home with family. If you are working, then you are working to support other families in their homes on this day. Everything else should remain shut.

363 days a year isn't bad to be able to get alcohol.

Maldjd23 wrote: »
    It makes no sense at all..My own opinion is that pubs should be allowed open when ever they want..The whole 3am closing time to me makes no sense for reasons we all know..As for the days mentioned, we are a multi cultural society...Should we not cater for others??..We are not all Catholics who go to bed early!!

Pubs are closing down left right and centre because nobody is drinking in them anymore. Even Dublin City centre pubs are restricting their opening hours during weekdays during normal weeing weeks. This isn't because everyone is a catholic who goes to bed early. It's because the pub trade is dying. Opening on christmas day will not change this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

But, seriously, Muslims don't drink alcohol: it's forbidden.

Just like Catholics dont use condoms ?
    Degsy wrote: »
    I've heard those two days have nothing to do with religion..they are the two days that some union has agreed on since 1927!

Why is a mythical agreement between a union and some employers enshrined permanently in Statute ?
    I'd like Good Friday to become a day when we remember the damage, the death, the broken homes and the destroyed lives that alcohol and drug abuse brings to society..
    I dont think dealers take Good Friday off ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

orourkeda wrote: »
    A pub isnt a vital service. At least not in the same way as a hospital or a police station is. Nurses and Gardai are probably on double or treble time for working christmas day. Perhaps it's not feasible from a financial standpoint for pubs to open on christmas day.

Not too many pubs pay double or treble time!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Dilynnio

They should be closed everyday!

It would be hugely entertaining to see how everyone would survive without the pub!

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

I think its only fair that bar staff can pencil in at least 1 guaranteed day off a year. In a lot of cases the bar owners may happily be at home enjoying the festivities while the ordinary staff are pulling pints.

The less things open on Christmas Day the better.
    Emergency services and petrol stations should be the only things open on Christmas Day.

As for Good Friday I think it should be replaced by the 1st Monday in July as a public holiday.
    People with religious beliefs should be allowed under law to take a half-day to attend services, etc.

Publicans should have the choice whether to open or not.
    Would spare us the horsesh1t being spouted on the airwaves every year with idiots bleating about not being allowed to drink while on the other hand gladly accepting a day off work!

New Years Day might be a good replacement as a close the pubs day.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

OisinT wrote: »
    We need to get the church the hell out of our government asap.

?!

Source Required.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭flutered

if any place wants to open on any given day, then why not, if people wish to advail of some place opening then so be it, if people wish to work then why not, for one airports should be open on christmas day, they do so in most countrys, it was not so long ago that there was no tv or radio programs advailable on good friday.

Advertisement