Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you agree with pubs being closed on Christmas Day & Good Friday?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

mossyc123 wrote: »
    The less things open on Christmas Day the better.
    Emergency services and petrol stations should be the only things open on Christmas Day.

Why should a petrol station be open but not a pub? Do petrol station staff not deserve the guaranteed day off that you made reference to or is it because you might might use a petrol station on Christmas Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

It dosent bother me in the slighest if they open or closed, I am not one to say what someone should or shouldn't do, but I think its unfair that if other religions like Jewism or muslimism wanted a drink on good Friday or Christmas day then they should be able to.
    It all about multi culturism.

Maybe our shops should stop selling ham while we are at it... heaven forbid we might offend someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Why should a petrol station be open but not a pub? Do petrol station staff not deserve the guaranteed day off that you made reference to or is it because you might might use a petrol station on Christmas Day?

Petrol/Diesel is a necessary item. I don't personally travel on Christmas Day but a great many people do.

Is it really that much of a necessity when we are all at home spending quality time with our families?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

All this non sense about it being a dictat from the vatican that keeps the pubs closed on two days a year. The reason they're closed is that there is no will to change the rules as they stand. The unions in the pub trade would oppose such a move, particularly a change to Good Friday as it is NOT a public holiday and staff wouldn't be entitled to overtime for working it.

The idea of abolishing Good Friday and replacing it with a holiday in July is a non-runner as that is in effect giving people an extra public holiday.

As for opening Christmas day, again I thing the unions would oppose a change to the current arrangement as it would force some of their members to give up Christmas Day. The overtime rates to convince people to work would be prohibitively expensive any way.

In a globalised world Ireland has few things left any more that marks us out as different. Some may say that closing pubs is an anachronism much like the six one news. I don't. Closing on Good Friday allows us as a society to reflect on what our society has become. Closing on Christmas allows the society to spend time with the Family, something which is meant to be very special to Irish people.

Only essential services should open Christmas Day, no one should be forced to spend the day in the workplace without good reason. Serving the local alcoholics is not a good enough reason to deny staff their day off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Is it really that much of a necessity when we are all at home spending quality time with our families?

Some people NEED to be able to get to certain places on Christmas Day same as any other day. Nobody needs to be in the pub.

Serving the local alcoholics is not a good enough reason to deny staff their day off.

There is that common misconception that anyone wanting to purchase alcohol on Christmas Day is an alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I dont't know where ye lot are living , but pubs have always opened on Christmas morning down my way, a few years now since I availed of the service myself, but the tradition of the knock on the side door is alive and well:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Ive yet to meet a nurse who gets triple pay for public holidays
    mossyc123 wrote: »
    As for Good Friday I think it should be replaced by the 1st Monday in July as a public holiday..

since when has Good Friday been a public holiday ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Retail Hell

Christmas yes, Good Friday no

• Advertisement

There is that common misconception that anyone wanting to purchase alcohol on Christmas Day is an alcoholic.

Who else would be there. Go into any pub, particularly rural ones during the middle of the day. There will be the local bar flies and no one else, because the rest of us are working to pay for their booze.

The country has a huge problem with alcohol and really further restriction should be put on its sale because very many people are not able to be responsible enough with it

No one will die of thirst because the pubs close for two days a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Religions sure do like their drink! :p

But, seriously, Muslims don't drink alcohol: it's forbidden.

EDIT: As to whether or not pubs should be closed on Christmas Day and Good Friday, I agree on both accounts. Partly because, as a practicing Catholic, I feel it's respectful to close shop on the latter day. And because on Christmas Day...well, it's traditionally about being with family, so why not let the staff off too?

some of the biggest pi**heads ive met have been of the Muslim faith just because it may be "forbidden" doesn't mean every Muslim doesn't drink:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

marienbad wrote: »
    I dont't know where ye lot are living , but pubs have always opened on Christmas morning down my way, a few years now since I availed of the service myself, but the tradition of the knock on the side door is alive and well:)

Sure is!
    And often you'll find your local off duty garda in there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

Who else would be there. Go into any pub, particularly rural ones during the middle of the day. There will be the local bar flies and no one else, because the rest of us are working to pay for their booze.

The country has a huge problem with alcohol and really further restriction should be put on its sale because very many people are not able to be responsible enough with it

You're spot on , couldn't agree more . Two days out of 365 .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Pubs should be allowed to open and close whatever day they want, obviously on Xmas day I think the majority of pubs will stay shut but not everyone celebrates Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭sonic85

a bit of a non topic this to be honest. if people are so desperate to drink why not just go into an off license the day before and stock up and drink at home.

every day off and holiday in ireland seems to be an excuse to go and get sh!tfaced these days. its just a bit sad to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

yes, they should be closed, its only once a year. forget about friends and all on christmas day and new years eve. Family comes frist- and your partner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    forget about friends and all on christmas day and new years eve. Family comes frist.

Easy to say when you have a family are not estranged from them and can get to them.

So if I pop into a pub on any Saturday afternoon for three pints that makes me an alcoholic.

Really?

And your arguement is now gone from a let people spend time with their families to let's restrict the sale of alcohol for our health. Which is rather pointless as people stock up on excessive amounts of alcohol on Christmas Eve so that kills that idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Two days of the year closed, why does anyone care. I used to work in a bar for 5 years and I loved being guaranteed these two days off every year.

• Advertisement

So if I pop into a pub on any Saturday afternoon for three pints that makes me an alcoholic.

Really?

And your argument is now gone from a let people spend time with their families to let's restrict the sale of alcohol for our health. Which is rather pointless as people stock up on excessive amounts of alcohol on Christmas Eve so that kills that idea.

The health point I made was in addition. Closing pubs for the day really won't have a huge effect on the drinking culture that exists in Ireland.

Have you ever popped into a pub on a Saturday afternoon where no matches are on the TV? Have you ever looked around you to observe what people are doing? The only people that will be there will be eating dinners (not drinking) - though there is always the exception, the people that are there knocking back the pints are alcoholics. They won't be there only on Saturday afternoon, but every afternoon.

This is especially true in rural areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

anyone who wants to go to a pub on christmas day has one pathetic life

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

aDeener wrote: »
    anyone who wants to go to a pub on christmas day has one pathetic life

Ye cos everyone celebrates xmas, sitting in the sitting room watching sh1t TV all day isn't pathetic? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Ye cos everyone celebrates xmas, sitting in the sitting room watching sh1t TV all day isn't pathetic? :rolleyes:

did you have an urge to go yeah? where did i say watching tv all day isn't pathetic? learn to read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

I think pubs being open 363 days a year is quite enough.

I also think it's amazing how many people are able to decide that pub staff would be delighted to work on either Good Friday or Christmas day..........
    The truth is, most people enjoy their holidays, while many employers, while quite willing to enjoy the same holidays themselves, would certainly think twice about giving up potential profits so that their staff could have two miserable days a year where they are almost certain to be able to spend time with their families.

A pub is not necessary for a social drink - I can think of no reason why people can't buy their drink in advance, and invite a few friends round if they feel they can't do without a drink on two days of the year.

For me personally, it makes no difference. I don't drink alcohol. If I did, I hope I would have enough consideration for others to realise that bar staff do not exist solely for my convenience.

Noreen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Pubs should stay closed on both days..

The publicans are finding it hard to get punters in on 363 other days yet when they are closed theres uproar!!!!!!!!

The staff deserve some time off and good friday was always the time to get essential maintenance done in the pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

flutered wrote: »
    let the pubs open say 4-8 pm on christmas day, if people stay longer then fine them 500 euro, this having to stay closed is from another era, also the irish airports close on chrismas day, another stupid add on that needs to be abolished, this is the 21st century not the 18th.

The airports thing is nothing irish, if you listened to the news you would have heard that dublin would have opened but no other airport was opening, so there wasnt much point in being open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Christmas is a time for families not for drinking in pubs.
    I hate when I go to the pub once a month on Sundays and find families all
    looking fed up :mad: people should have a rest from pubs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I seem to get all the chatty taxi drivers :)

One old lad was telling me about his two friends and they used to get on a ferry to the UK on Good Friday so they drink on the ferry and then on the return ferry. Not one of those swift ferries, the slower ones which take a few hours.

"That's just sad" I said :rolleyes:
    The driver agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Even at the moment the closing time is what 11, 11.30 but too many people go to the pubs 15 mins before closing (after getting half sloshed at home first) and order a few rounds and sit there till 2am .

I think the staff would rather be home at that time instead of waiting on these tossers.

Advertisement