Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

need a good printer to print photos

• 26-12-2010 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I'm looking to get a good printer to print photos, i have a Canon 500D camera and looking to get a good printer to print pictures if it was possible to print off of my iPad too would be great max i'd spend is €150 anything less is brilliant

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

What size are you looking to print at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Be careful to get something that uses an archival ink type if you don't want the photos to fade away within just a few years. (This drastically reduces the number of printer options you have.. most printers will give you prints that you will need to print new copies of in 10 years or less.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭BrendanRyan

I think those "crappy" consumer printers are the biz! I have a canon ip3600 and its great. Its A4 max, but that does me fine for a proof print or that. The qualities very good, once ya get the profile's sorted out. It ain't bluetooted so don't think it would do the ipad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

nowayout1 wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a good printer to print photos, i have a Canon 500D camera and looking to get a good printer to print pictures if it was possible to print off of my iPad too would be great max i'd spend is €150 anything less is brilliant

no offence meant ...but this sort of thing really gets me.

I want a good printer...but I dont want to spend money!!

.....if you are willing to put a couple of hundred into an ipad (which is essentially just a really large ipod touch), then maybe you need to consider outsourcing your printing for the time being - until you get enough money together to purchase a decent printer - one of the top names for printers would be epson, so my advice is to do the research...keep saving money and get your images printed via an online service (some of which are remarkably cheap)....Steve (Stcstc on Boards) offers a printing service - he's not the cheapest but in terms of quality EVERY boardsie that has gotten work printed comments on the top quality.

Eventually you will find the printer that will meet your needs ...or you will learn what you want in a printer and can set yourself a goal to save for.

Do you know what size prints you want to print up to - do you want to print 6x4, 7x5, 8x6, 12x16, 24x16 ....or bigger ... are you concerned by machine noise.... are you concerned by print time ? do you want the capacity to print on a t-shirt, mug, mousemat etc ..... do you just want to print on "photo paper" ...or would you consider other ...harder papers, card perhaps ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I read this as wanting good quality prints at a cheap price.

If that is the case get them printed by someone else and don't buy a printer at all. The only way a print at home will cost less is if you use cheap paper & inks. The reason you print at home is to save time but not money.

The important thing then is to get your monitors calibrated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have a Canon MP600 and it has functioned flawlessly for coming up 4 years now. Not so much as a single clogged nozzle.

It is a combination scanner photocopier and printer but Canon put the same print engines into these as their dedicated printers so the results are as good.

I got fed up the variable quality of prints from photo labs and get better results now.

if you do any B&W printing I would suggest you look at a printer that has a grey ink like the Canon PIXMA MG6150:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PIXMA-MG6150-Colour-Printer/dp/B00400OK2K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293451509&sr=8-1

This one is a bit cheaper and is a dedicated printer but has won a couple of awards: http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Printers/Inkjet/PIXMA_iP4700/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭colm21

if you are looking for a good printer to print photos i would recommed either a canon pixma printer or a kodak printer both are really good brands and both have cheap ink which is a bonus. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

The Canon Pixma's can be hit or miss. Most of them use good pigment-based inks.. but there are a few, especially their all-in-ones, that used dye-based inks that fade quickly.
    I think all of the Kodak ones use dye-based ink that fades fairly quickly. (I think they are re-branded Brother printers.)
    colm21 wrote: »
    if you are looking for a good printer to print photos i would recommed either a canon pixma printer or a kodak printer both are really good brands and both have cheap ink which is a bonus. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Bought a Canon Pixma Mg 6120 and am extremely impressed with the results. I paid Eur 220 in brock and mortar, but try shop around and see what's on offer. Ink aint cheap though.

Advertisement