Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Exchange faulty game in Tesco without receipt?

Options
  • 26-12-2010 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

'Santa' bought a video game in Tesco a few weeks ago -kept the receipts from all the other toy/book/clothes purchases in case I needed to exchange anything after Xmas but as that was on a grocery receipt it unfortunately got binned.

Christmas day and son was very excited to play the new Wii game and it wouldn't work...every techie family member and visitor tried it and it just wouldn't play and tears ensued. Anyone know if individual purchases like that are recordede on your clubcard or if Tesco can identify the game as being from their stock from the Barcode without a receipt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Go in and ask for the non food manager. Bring your clubcard, though they may not be able to check instore if it was used when buying the game. Best they will offer you is an exchange for the same title. Its worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's up to you to prove you bought it there.

On the other hand, if you're a regular and play it nicely they may give you an exchange out of kindness.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭RH149

An exchange is all I want - they probably have sold out of the game by now though as it was popular and slightly cheaper there than in Gamestop/HMV....would have kept the receipts from those shops though. Doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I've found Tesco to be very poor when it comes to returns, even with a receipt, so without one, I wouldn't hold too much hope. All you can do is ask, but be prepared to get nowhere. You need some sort of proof of purchase, but this can also be a credit or debit card statement, not just the receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭soupdrinker

I had no problem recently getting a refund from Tesco for something faulty with the receipt. However, they did want my Clubcard to take off the points I earned on that product.

Re the Credit Card or Debit Card Statement, that would just show you bought something in Tesco, but wouldn't show exactly what you bought.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Re the Credit Card or Debit Card Statement, that would just show you bought something in Tesco, but wouldn't show exactly what you bought.

Yes, but it is still a proof of purchase, and legally they are required to accept it. Tesco should be able to use this to trace the actual receipt on their computer anyway, and see exactly what you bought. The payment reference should be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

They can (though may not want to) pull a copy of the receipt if you paid by credit/debit card or used your clubcard, and can say approximately when you purchased it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ste.phen wrote: »
    They can (though may not want to) pull a copy of the receipt if you paid by credit/debit card or used your clubcard, and can say approximately when you purchased it
    this can take up to 2 hours of trawing throught receipts on screen, depending on the search cryteria you have and may not be possible if staff cover is not available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    this can take up to 2 hours of trawing throught receipts on screen, depending on the search cryteria you have and may not be possible if staff cover is not available.
    It depends on how much data the customer gives, when I was there it never took more than a minute or two, if the product still is in stock you can search by EAN also and that speeds things up immeasurably

Advertisement