Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thousand's of Galway Homes without water.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Important to ascertain whether entire estates are cut off, or whether clusters of houses or individual dwellings.

If there are houses very close to you that have water, then it is possible to improvise a temporary solution while waiting for the thaw.

I believe the thaw itself is only temporary. It would be absolutely intolerable if water remained cut off until the next forecast freeze arrives.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ah ours is gone a week now. It's not the end of the world really, a bit awkward for dishwashing alright but we've been showering in our family's places and brought a load of washing as well.

Hopefully the rain will help thaw underground pipes, would love to give the place a thorough clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It's a huge hassle for those with no car, can't even load up the boot with large bottles :(

Any one know where the tankers are close to Rahoon/Mincloon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

mines back today, went on the 23rd

just returned home today

bohermore area

inisboffin wrote: »
    It's a huge hassle for those with no car, can't even load up the boot with large bottles :(

Any one know where the tankers are close to Rahoon/Mincloon?

I'm near you. If you want a lift anywhere to get water tomorrow PM me.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I'm near you. If you want a lift anywhere to get water tomorrow PM me.

That's really sound of you :) our next door neighbour dropped in 2 big bottles tonight so we are grand for a few days. Just the general hassle I am moaning about, and the fact there's lots of folks maybe carless. But fair play, if we help each other we'll be grand. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Got back to the apartment in Renmore this evening and no water here either! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Left a tap dripping a little, no problems as a result. Last few days, supplying neighbours with water because they have none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭seanin4711

houses in new estates(within the last 5 years) including my own the stopcock are only down about6-8 inches which is not enough as I had to pick through that amount of ice to get the stopcock.
    there are companies out there that will make cosy for each type of valve in cork i think but there are probably more.
    here is one i found and no i dont work for them!
    http://www.stopcockcosy.com/
    hope it helps.

ps it looks like some foam adapter to keep water from accumulating and freezing the stopcock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Lots without water in oranmore too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

Anyone know of any water tankers in the Oranmore area. Parents live in Beech Grove and they have been out of water for days now. Everyone else in the estate seems to be in the same position.

Liam Carroll is local cllr, in oranmore. <phone removed>. Time for him to shine, text and ring him, find out what he's doing for his area

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Phone numbers of

all Galway County Councillors

all Galway City Councillors

Like the man said ...

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

brianeoc wrote: »
    Anyone know of any water tankers in the Oranmore area. Parents live in Beech Grove and they have been out of water for days now. Everyone else in the estate seems to be in the same position.

There's a big water tank in Oranhill just down the road from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brianeoc

Thanks a million HennyBug, Just found the water tanker.

Thanks again

Our water came back just now. Ah the reassuring hum of the dishwasher!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

No water on New Road/Millstreet right now.I was rushing out the door to go home for Christmas and left the friggin bathroom tap running instead of the sink which is hooked up to the mains. DOH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 CornWallises38

Water also back this morning, most of my neighbours have their's back too.

Just got a call, there is a water tanker in oranhill and near maree community centre, you will need your own containers

Just back from Lidl with 24 litres of water and the water is back in the apartment! Typical! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Literacy levels in the council are of ongoing concern :(

Galway County Council
    Update on Boil Water Notices and Supply Disruptions
    Date & Time Of Update 12.30 p.m. 27th December 2010

"There remain a lot of consumers throughout the county without water due to frozen pipes and this is very unfortunate.
    "

The mains supply largely is still operating and most reservoirs as of this morning have good levels of water available. If you do have water and are not affected by the big freeze please conserve it carefully. Please also beware that as the thaw sets in there is an increased risk of leaks so find out where your stopcock is and know how to use it. There is usually one under your kitchen sink and one outside near where your connection meets the water main or at your water meter. Generally twist clockwise to close the stopcock and anti-clockwise to open it and don’t over tighten in either direction.
    Disruptions to Supply
    Tonabrucky/Barna/Forramoyle
    Nighttime restrictions between 9 p.m. and 9 a.m. will again apply for the present.
    Oranmore
    Night time restrictions will apply along the Dublin and Maree Roads.
    An Spiddal
    Night time restrictions will apply
    Ballinasloe
    Demand has surged along the Dublin Road and night time restrictions will apply
    Kilkerrin Moylough Scheme
    Moylough/Ballinastack/Springlawn/Treasna areas. Water supply will be cut from 10.30 p.m. nightly until 7 a.m. to conserve water. This will continue for a number of nights

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

http://www.galwaycity.ie
    "Water Supply Update: 27/12/2010
    Galway City Council are working over the holiday period to address current difficulties with the water supply.
    At present, we are prioritising a number of major bursts; including one on the east side of the city affecting the Ballybane area.
    We will continue to prioritise these major bursts as they arise.

We would ask landlords to check any vacant properties for any bursts that may have occurred over the holiday period.

We are also advising householders that the ground has frozen to a depth of two feet. This may result in some frozen services to individual households.
    We are asking householders to be vigilant for leaks as the thaw extends.

Galway City Council again asks people not to run taps in order to preserve the supply for the wider community. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

who's without water in the wellpark area? I know my house and the neighbours (the non students) are without water too.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

Anyone know about out in Renmore/Merlin Park? I'm tempted to go back down to Galway, but there's no point if I have no water!

xo.mary wrote: »
    Anyone know about out in Renmore/Merlin Park? I'm tempted to go back down to Galway, but there's no point if I have no water!

I'm in renmore and the water is gone. :( It came back for alittle while around lunchtime thankfully so my tank is full again. Hopefully it will get sorted soon.

Mid Rahoon, in and out, but way more than before. Managed a shower, woo hoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

No water in Rosscahill (near Moycullen) for past 3 days. Would have expected a thaw by now. Anyone know the story?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

same problem as Barna, pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'm in Highfield Park and our water pressure has been very low today. Only a very slow trickle going into the tank in the attic. Thank god it's not gone completely..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 frederick666

I live in Sandy road nearly Galway Bay FM, I didn't have water over the past 6 days starting from 22nd, today its eventually back I rushed to the loo for a shower when I woke up in the morning aahhhhhh how cool it is.:D n I'm worried RTE news says the water supply is back only on a temporary basis anybody can confirm?

Advertisement