Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thousand's of Galway Homes without water.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It will take a few more days to deal with the worst leaks and to pressure the system up with adequate water supplies. Lots of burst pipes everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

how do you even know if you have a leak?

Serious leak = the ceiling looks a tad soggy, best do something NOW!
    Less serious, could be underground outside...water meter going round but no water being used in house.

If the meter is water static and all taps and washing machines are off then you do not have a leak.

The council lads will 'listen' for a leak if they are around your area checking for one and you ask them nicely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

One of my friends who is renting has had no water the last six days. Had a look in his attic yesterday and noticed there is insulation on the floor but none on the inside of the roof, no wonder the pipes were frozen. Small little heater warmed the place up and hey presto water started flowing into the tank. The mains kitchen tap also started at the same time, so am not sure how that works.
    How do landlords get away with this? Would this be covered by a BER inspection?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Water pressure in Highfield Park is so low now that our attic tank isn't filling at all. We still have water coming in through the mains tap in the kitchen so at least that's something. But it's annoying that I can't grab a shower at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Fiddlesnap

We have no mains water but water in the tank. Think we may be cut off from 9pm to 9am but have had no notice of it. Should homes be contacted if the water is cut off? Maybe we have bust pipes too? Is there any weather Ireland can, em, weather?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I have mains water but no water from the tank it seems. Only the leaking tao in the kitchen is working everything else is off, taps, showers and I'm assuming washing machine.

One of the apartments above me got really badly flooded, it was like Niagara falls out there last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭drum!

Full service since last night on New Rd but Millstreet is still out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 highfieldpark

Hi ,
    Water pressure very low in highfield park tonight no water in hot tap, this is a real pain for new years eve! Does anybody know if it will be back soon???

next week...sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

My water was fine, air locked it was, straight forward enough to fix too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Hmm, we have had water the past day, which was great, but was told by a neighbour (the rumour mill, but to be far, it's as reliable as anything from the council) that the water was going to be cut off again; as in we only got a decent service because of it being New Years etc..

Anyone got updates? Nothing on the website and the Council Twitter says it would update by today. They haven't. :cool:
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/

I saw water bubbling up from the ground on University Road today and reported the leak to the City Council.
    Hi ,
    Water pressure very low in highfield park tonight no water in hot tap, this is a real pain for new years eve! Does anybody know if it will be back soon???

I live in Highfield Park as well, at the top of a hill.. Our water pressure was really low a few days ago so no water was making it up into the tank in our attic. This meant we had nothing in the hot water tap, no water through the shower and none for the upstairs toilet. We did have water through the mains tap in the kitchen and in the downstairs toilet though.

Unfortunately, the pressure has been so low since Wednesday evening that we have had absolutely no water anywhere (not a single drop!). So annoying but we are managing. Hopefully the pressure will improve in the next day or two..

Ironic that we live in a house that was built to a good standard (in terms of being able to withstand cold weather) - our pipes outside are buried 5 ft underground. Also, our attic is well insulated except for directly undernearth the the water tank (if some heat can get to the tank it won't freeze; ours didn't during the cold spell and never has). We had no water problems during the worst of the cold weather, people in houses built to a poor standard did. We have had problems since the thaw - there isn't enough pressure to get to us because of leaks in the general water network and in badly built houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Hi all, i was just wondering if anywhere still has absolutely no water at all in the galway city area?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

If this thread is going to be about much longer, could a mod please remove the apostrophe in the title? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

brembo26 wrote: »
    Hi all, i was just wondering if anywhere still has absolutely no water at all in the galway city area?

I hear Rockmount Road in Highfield has none since the 26th

About 20-25% of city homes have no water this weekend but after the critteryscittery scare the council will not admit faults with the water in public.

If you are unhappy with the information the corpo provides....basically none....then make your views known to your local councillors this weekend if you still have no water.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

News at 6 said '100 houses out in Galway'.. :eek: Surely a LOT more than that, no?

Walked down along University Rd today and water is still bubbling up onto tue road. I guess they haven't had a chance to fix it, they're probably busy fixing other leaks.

We still have no water unfortunately..

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

inisboffin wrote: »
    News at 6 said '100 houses out in Galway'.. :eek: Surely a LOT more than that, no?

Have set up a poll on the matter to get a better idea of numbers.

• Advertisement

KevR wrote: »
    Walked down along University Rd today and water is still bubbling up onto tue road. I guess they haven't had a chance to fix it, they're probably busy fixing other leaks.

We still have no water unfortunately..

What area are you in that has no water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

In Upper Newcastle and we have had no water here since the morning of the 26th

Fionagus wrote: »
    In Upper Newcastle and we have had no water here since the morning of the 26th

is that up around dangan, hazel park or laural park side?

Im askin these questions because i know there is a group of people from a local organisation going around to the areas effected with a big tank of water so the residents can top up buckets and 5ltr water bottles and the likes. So if people posted up the estates which have no water at all i can pass the word on to them.

What area are you in that has no water?

He's in Highfield Park.

Just jumping in here in case it would help for you to know as early as possible where water is needed. :)

Im askin these questions because i know there is a group of people from a local organisation going around to the areas effected with a big tank of water so the residents can top up buckets and 5ltr water bottles and the likes. So if people posted up the estates which have no water at all i can pass the word on to them.

If youre aware of the sort of times this tank might be available in certain areas it would be a good idea to post it here. I'd say lots of people would be delighted with the service.

Well at the moment there serving mansuells road at around lunch time (1ish i think) and again in the evening arriving between 6pm and 7pm. Since highfeild is only around the corner im sure they could serve that after, ill get them to give me a location in the estate. So if people keep the updates coming on estates without water post it up and i can pass the message on and hopefully get you some sort of water :)

Highfeild can be served after mansuells road from 7ish to 8.

is there a good public location in high feild so the can be seen with the tank?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I'm in Highfield too, and our water has been back since the 28th, 29th. Unfortunately pressure is very low, so low that our shower won't work!!!

KevR; I have several gallons of water filled; if you're water is out I'll drop them over to you. From your description of being on high ground I'd guess that you're pretty much looking down into our garden!!!

Well at the moment there serving mansuells road at around lunch time (1ish i think) and again in the evening arriving between 6pm and 7pm. Since highfeild is only around the corner im sure they could serve that after, ill get them to give me a location in the estate. So if people keep the updates coming on estates without water post it up and i can pass the message on and hopefully get you some sort of water :)

Highfeild can be served after mansuells road from 7ish to 8.

is there a good public location in high feild so the can be seen with the tank?

There's a green area at the entrance to the estate but it might be difficult to park anywhere around there. I know there are some older people at the top of Avondale Road who are without water for over a week and everyone on Rockmount ,the road behind Avondale, seems to be without water. You have to pass through Avondale to get to Rockmount so maybe somewhere beside the green area on Avondale might be good? Someone else here might be able to give you a better idea though, I'm not sure where might be best to be honest.

I have to say to whoever is going to do it ,it is an extremely generous and kind thing. Well done. :)

• Advertisement

Cool ill pass that info on, all mentioned areas so far will be covered.

Thanks _Whimsical_, very helpful!

For anyone reading from those areas just take note of the times as its a mobile tanker so it will be moving from location to location, and times givin are mainly a guide as to when they will arrive.

Advertisement