Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Atlantic - launching February 1st

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Are you excited?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Atlantic

In fairness, a lot of channels have shows like on that list. But hopefully we'll get them a lot sooner now, not years later. For example Game of Thrones, and Boardwalk Empire which I'm excited about.

They really require them to be near simulcast for Sky Atlantic to work. New daytime shows. The X Files and ER would suit Pick TV. No ads would also be worthwhile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Elmo wrote: »
    No ads would also be worthwhile.

Not to poke holes, but how could you know this? Have you inside information on Sky's revenue sources?

Also, I think someone said it was FTA... I don't believe this though, it's probably just part of the entertainment package. Sky News is FTA however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

it's not FTA, it's only for Sky customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Not to poke holes, but how could you know this? Have you inside information on Sky's revenue sources?

I don't think Elmo was making a factual statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Do you have to have HD to watch this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Do you have to have HD to watch this?

No but
    It's even better in HD

HD is plastered all over the ads, so Sky are definitely trying to push it, and it does seem to be confusing people.
    I upgraded to HD recently and the guy who installed it told me he thought it was HD only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Imagine if they introduced prohibition in Ireland on Saint Patrick's day,
    it would be a lot worse than episode 5 on Boardwalk Empire
    ,just finished it,great episode :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Also, I think someone said it was FTA... I don't believe this though, it's probably just part of the entertainment package. Sky News is FTA however.

Indeed it was more a hope that there would be no ads. But Sky's revenue sources, the 10million subscriptions that it gets each year :eek: It possible should be a premium channel. 12mins of ads during most of these shows :eek: No it is not FTA, it is part of Sky Variety Package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I am happy to see that it is a channel that will be available to all Sky subscribers. I thought they would have tried to charge extra for it.

I was trying to figure this out.

How is a HD channel going to be available to non HD subscribers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its not. If you have HD, then the HD versions of channels will appear in the SD slots (e.g. 106 for Sky One HD, 108 for Sky Atlantic HD etc.)

If you only have the SD channels, then nothing changes. You'll see Sky Atlantic (SD) on 108 instead.

As for charging extra, I hear they're hiking the prices for all in the autumn (€2 per household). They want to get as many people on board as they can first (no doubt targeting the new signups and chorus/NTL defectors)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭finlma

Does anyone know if you need to connect your Sky to the phone line for the new channel to come through? At the moment I still have Sky 3 on channel 108 and the listings for tomorrow show Sky 3 shows and not Sky Atlantic shows. Don't want to miss Boardwalk Empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

finlma wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you need to connect your Sky to the phone line for the new channel to come through? At the moment I still have Sky 3 on channel 108 and the listings for tomorrow show Sky 3 shows and not Sky Atlantic shows. Don't want to miss Boardwalk Empire.

The EPG change will occur between 2am and 4am tomorrow (Tuesday). No need to have phone line connected, epg is broadcast via the dish.

Mr E wrote: »
    As for charging extra, I hear they're hiking the prices for all in the autumn (€2 per household). They want to get as many people on board as they can first (no doubt targeting the new signups and chorus/NTL defectors)

If you have Sky One via Sky you will not be affected by the price increase in 6 months time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Nothing on 108 at the moment - all other changes have been made

It may not appear until the afternoon if previous channel launnches are anything to go by.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Really looking forward to this channel :)

So am I which is why my anxiety levels are rising as the channel ism't there - missing at last 3 other HD channels as well at the moment. Have to go to work soon and wanted to start series linking - feel like a child that's been told Xmas is canelled (or delayed)

SKy Atlantic on 108 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Still no sky Atlantic here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

Sky Atlantic is now on 108 but the HD and SD channel swap around hasn't happened yet

Mine has swapped around but a few HD channels are missing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

now seems to operating online

I have been able to remote record a few shows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Don't see the big deal about this channel. It's just welcome to Atlantic till 8.
    Will there be any good Tv series on it. I haven't seen anything good on TV since Lost, and that was awful in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Don't see the big deal about this channel. It's just welcome to Atlantic till 8.
    Will there be any good Tv series on it. I haven't seen anything good on TV since Lost, and that was awful in the end.

Did you read any of this thread? :confused:

Did you read any of this thread? :confused:
    :o Not much, I know it has all the HBO stuff what ever that is. I know its on sky 108.

:o Not much, I know it has all the HBO stuff what ever that is. I know its on sky 108.

Page 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Here is some info for ye!

http://skyatlantic.sky.com/

hope this gives you some viewing material!

Does anyone recommend a good TV series to watch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Does anyone recommend a good TV series to watch?
    Try having a look around here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=227 in particular the sticky at the top.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Any word on if this will be available for UPC customers? I know you'd have to pay for it, but it would be worth it imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There was a fella from Sky on George Hook last week and he said they have no plans to give Atlantic to other providers in the near future. Which makes sense when you think about it - why give it to competitors when it may tempt people to switch?

just noticed that Sky Atlantic is also available on the Sky Player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Will my box automatically update to receive this or do I have to update it anywhere?

Lemlin wrote: »
    Will my box automatically update to receive this or do I have to update it anywhere?

it should automaticalloy change...indeed, it should have happened by now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,983 ✭✭✭Degag

Well thank God..... at least Dave didn't change channel number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i hope boardwalk empire is on sky anytime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

i hope boardwalk empire is on sky anytime

It's repeated during the week...just a note there is 3 new episodes of it this week!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Insane Rambling

This is still not showing up on my sky planner (HD)... has this happened to anyone else? a
    Anyone know how to fix this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

maybe plug out ur sky box for few mins and plug back in and see?

try taking the card out and reinsert also

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Hooray sky player on the xbox has it up and running-hopefully the programmes will work on it now, and not get the "this programme is not available on sky player" crappy music!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

You know what the stupid thing is...I want to watch Boardwalk Empire...the sister took over the TV just to watch Big Fat Gypsy Wedding...even though I set it to record for an hour later, and I can't record it because Grey's Anatomy is also set to record. She better hope to Zeus that the pilot is going to be on demand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

You know what the stupid thing is...I want to watch Boardwalk Empire...the sister took over the TV just to watch Big Fat Gypsy Wedding...even though I set it to record for an hour later, and I can't record it because Grey's Anatomy is also set to record. She better hope to Zeus that the pilot is going to be on demand!

It's repeated at 12:30am on Atlantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 silver_Shadow

krudler wrote: »
    Sounds like the best tv channel ever tbh, what a lineup

yeah, for backward folk who have bot bothered to download and watch the best AMC and HBO stuff over the last 6 years Channel is redundant

Jaysus she has you wrapped around her little finger. Be a man. Smash the tv. That'll teach her. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Jaysus she has you wrapped around her little finger. Be a man. Smash the tv. That'll teach her. :pac:
    Can't. If I smash the TV...what will I watch? Plus the dog hates violence, so I can't beat her up.

But all is right with the world, got BE to record, at the expense of Grey's.

yeah, for backward folk who have bot bothered to download and watch the best AMC and HBO stuff over the last 6 years Channel is redundant

There does seem to be an awful lot of people looking forward to it so I think you may be wrong. Not everyobody downloads television shows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    There does seem to be an awful lot of people looking forward to it so I think you may be wrong. Not everyobody downloads television shows.

I'm one of those that "acquires" shows like this but I still think it's fantastic. Just because I see a lot of this stuff before it airs here, doesn't mean I see ALL of it. Being able to catch shows I've missed like Six Feet Under or new shows that have managed to pass me by like Treme and being able to see them in a week by week manner without having to catch up all in one go (plenty of other things to watch during the week as it is!) is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

37 mins of ads in a 53 minute episode. Seems they've brought the bad of American television along with the good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

this is why you have a sky plus box and start viewing the show at 9.20 then by 10:30 you've caught up and skipped all the ads anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

djkeogh wrote: »
    this is why you have a sky plus box and start viewing the show at 9.20 then by 10:30 you've caught up and skipped all the ads anyway

What would we do without Sky+???

• Advertisement
Advertisement