Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Atlantic - launching February 1st

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Strange TG4 will be showing True Blood 3 while RTÉ Two will be showing Blue Bloods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Funny or Die Presents starts tonight at 10pm on Sky Atlantic

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Funny or Die Presents starts tonight at 10pm on Sky Atlantic

Exclusive or Sky Exclusive? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Elmo wrote: »
    Strange TG4 will be showing True Blood 3 while RTÉ Two will be showing Blue Bloods.
    The HBO deal with Sky didn't include True Blood as FX have the lifetime rights to it. Sky must have only got the UK exclusive rights to Blue Bloods.

Dman001 wrote: »
    The HBO deal with Sky didn't include True Blood as FX have the lifetime rights to it. Sky must have only got the UK exclusive rights to Blue Bloods.

FX are part of News Corp hence why they are showing True Blood and Channel 4 are not (or are they?).

RTÉ lost Mad Men (or have they?)???? How are they getting Blue Bloods?

Sky paid 150,000,000 for 3 years of exclusive UK and Ireland rights to HBO programming.

Blue Bloods on RTÉ Two May 31st @ 9:55 possible in HD on Saorview. The Walking Dead also RTÉ Two on May 30th again maybe in HD (though nothing to do with Sky).

FX are part of News Corp hence why they are showing True Blood and Channel 4 are not (or are they?).

RTÉ lost Mad Men (or have they?)???? How are they getting Blue Bloods?

Sky paid 150,000,000 for 3 years of exclusive UK and Ireland rights to HBO programming.
    Yep News Corp own FX, and a share in Sky. I don't get the point you're making? FX have exclusive first time showing rights, so Sky couldn't make a deal with HBO for it. I'm sure it didn't bother them too much though, seeing as News Corp have a stake in Sky and own FX. Channel 4 and TG4 still show True Blood, but seeing as FX have first time showing rights, they have to wait after FX shows it. Season 3 will be showing on both TG4 and C4 this summer.

Both the BBC and RTE have lost the future seasons of Mad Men if Im not mistaken. Sky have took the exclusive rights from the BBC (and we can assume RTE) for future Seasons.

Blue Bloods is on CBS in America. They probably didn't see Blue Bloods as being a major show so just got the first time viewing rights, ro something similar.

Season 3 will be showing on both TG4 and C4 this summer.

You sure it will be on Channel 4? I didn't realize Blue Bloods wasn't HBO, I haven't see it.

News Corp are taking over Sky. I would say Sky gave FX True Blood just to keep it on that channel until they are completely sublimated.

Any news on News Corp Sky takeover? I know they have to keep Sky news separate.

I know Man Men is ACM.

You sure it will be on Channel 4? I didn't realize Blue Bloods wasn't HBO, I haven't see it.

News Corp are taking over Sky. I would say Sky gave FX True Blood just to keep it on that channel until they are completely sublimated.

Any news on News Corp Sky takeover? I know they have to keep Sky news separate.

I know Man Men is ACM.
    I don't think it works like that. When True Blood first began FX purchased the Lifetime rights. The only way Sky could show True Blood on Sky Atlantic is if they purchased the rights off FX. You can't exactly say Sky "gave" FX the rights when FX had them all along, and Sky had no control of that.

I don't think it works like that. When True Blood first began FX purchased the Lifetime rights. The only way Sky could show True Blood on Sky Atlantic is if they purchased the rights off FX. You can't exactly say Sky "gave" FX the rights when FX had them all along, and Sky had no control of that.

Seems to be airing on C4 in the autumn from what I can gather. I thought FX/HBO/Sky came to an arrangement for True Blood thus removing FTA TV from the picture. Seems not to be the case.

• Advertisement

Seems to be airing on C4 in the autumn from what I can gather. I thought FX/HBO/Sky came to an arrangement for True Blood thus removing FTA TV from the picture. Seems not to be the case.
    Apologies, it is usually August/September when they show it. Nope I don't think it affected the FTA rights at all.

Apologies, it is usually August/September when they show it. Nope I don't think it affected the FTA rights at all.

Well Sky Atlantic doesn't seem all that exclusive to me.

Well Sky Atlantic doesn't seem all that exclusive to me.
    Exclusive rights to Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Bored to Death, Funny or Die Presents, In Treatment, Weeds, Mad Men with re-runs of The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Big Love, The Wire, The Pacific and a few decent HBO movies. In my opinion it's the best channel available in the UK and Ireland.

Sons of Anarchy returns to RTÉ Two next Monday night. (FX show I know but just the whole high end drama coming from Sky Atlantic while there seems to be getting thiner on the ground).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Sons of Anarchy returns to RTÉ Two next Monday night. (FX show I know but just the whole high end drama coming from Sky Atlantic while there seems to be getting thiner on the ground).

Thanks for that ! But RTE as usual air it at a ridiculous time, basically midnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

You have to remember that RTE generally stop airing these shows for random amounts of time mid season. And there's no real guarantee that they'll even finish half of the shows that they air. At least with sky atlantic, they'll show it at a normal time and stick to a fairly similar pace as the US with the shows. :D

Corkfeen wrote: »
    You have to remember that RTE generally stop airing these shows for random amounts of time mid season. And there's no real guarantee that they'll even finish half of the shows that they air. At least with sky atlantic, they'll show it at a normal time and stick to a fairly similar pace as the US with the shows. :D

Bar The Event which disappeared with its audience this is generally not the case from my experience of late night TV on RTÉ Two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Bar The Event which disappeared with its audience this is generally not the case from my experience of late night TV on RTÉ Two.

I may be just having a selective memory but i'm sure a few of the late night shows that I used to watch disappeared from the schedule at a couple of points. But fair enough if they haven't. I may gain a bit of respect for RTE when they start airing good shows at normal prime time tv times rather than the witching hours. :D

RTE showed all of Seasons 1 and 2 of SOA without no breaks

I expected Season 3 of SOA to be back first on Sky Atlantic (Seasons 1 and 2 were shown on Bravo)

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I may gain a bit of respect for RTE when they start airing good shows at normal prime time tv times rather than the witching hours. :D

I agree they did want a new channel for such programmes called RTE PLUS but the minister said no. Imagine a foreign channel can be anti-competition and set up a channel with no cause for concern and we think its the next best thing to sliced bread.

Sky said that Sons of Anarchy will be making its way to Sky One. With the likes of House, Modern Family, Raising Hope and The Middle coming to the end of their Season, it will probably be shown during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Imagine a foreign channel can be anti-competition

Don't speak of anti-competition when you have the licence fee propping up the RTE dinosaur.

mikom wrote: »
    Don't speak of anti-competition when you have the licence fee propping up the RTE dinosaur.

Problem is that much of the licence fee actually goes into other areas and RTÉ don't get 12minutes of advertising unlike Sky, Sky are more of a worry to TV3 as they have since been given that extra 12minutes of advertising. But then TV3 was extinct long before it ever existed.

My point being that a Billion dollar enterprise can just start up new channels without regard for competition, this includes being anti-competitive towards independent broadcasters including those in their home territory.

RTÉ PLUS wouldn't have been anti-competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Problem is that much of the licence fee actually goes into other areas

Oh yeah, that concert orchestra that plays in my home town every weekend...
    My point being that a Billion dollar enterprise can just start up new channels without regard for competition, this includes being anti-competitive towards independent broadcasters including those in their home territory.

RTE gets their pound of flesh from the TV owner whether they watch RTE or not.
    Sky atlantic will live or die by the quality of its output as people will unsubscribe to the package it is held on if It's poor.
    The dinosaur will limp on regardless with a cheery tune from the orchestra bringing up the rear.

mikom wrote: »
    Oh yeah, that concert orchestra that plays in my home town every weekend...

Tut, 'tis a pity, 'tis a great pity, when every weekend I get Sky's Concert Orchestra to play be a few tunes. I just assumed that everyone with Sky got that kind of treatment but I have yet to tell them they really should be heading over to my neighbours as I don't have sky. Wouldn't mind them coming all that way from the UK but you'd think they would clean you after themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I Love this channel,some of my favourite programmes are on this channel :D

Sky Atlantic has purchased the rights to air the first two seasons of Friday Night Lights.

The acclaimed US sports drama follows the exploits of a high school football team, along with team coach Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler) and his family.

Based on a 1990 book by HG Bissinger, Friday Night Lights was first adapted into a 2004 film starring Billy Bob Thornton, before the television adaptation premiered on NBC in 2006.

Throughout its run, the show was nominated for nine Emmy awards, with Chandler winning in the 'Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series' category in 2011.

The series also won an award for 'Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series' in the same year, beating out the likes of Mad Men and Game of Thrones.

The first season will premiere on Sky Atlantic in late February.

The channel has also picked up the UK rights to season two of Game of Thrones, the fourth season of Nurse Jackie, the upcoming fifth season of Mad Men and NBC's new musical drama Smash.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Would reccommend Friday Night Lights to anyone who enjoys good drama. It's centred on a high school American football team, but even those who have no interest in the sport can enjoy it as it doesn't focus too much on the football side. Also, great theme tune.

Tut, 'tis a pity, 'tis a great pity, when every weekend I get Sky's Concert Orchestra to play be a few tunes. I just assumed that everyone with Sky got that kind of treatment but I have yet to tell them they really should be heading over to my neighbours as I don't have sky. Wouldn't mind them coming all that way from the UK but you'd think they would clean you after themselves.

I really should re-read my posts, dyslexia :o

fisgon wrote: »
    Would reccommend Friday Night Lights to anyone who enjoys good drama. It's centred on a high school American football team, but even those who have no interest in the sport can enjoy it as it doesn't focus too much on the football side. Also, great theme tune.

Saturday Morning on 3e.

• Advertisement

Awake has been picked up by Sky Atlantic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Awake has been picked up by Sky Atlantic

Awake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Critically-acclaimed American sports series Friday Night Lights will finally air in full in the UK on Sky Atlantic.

The broadcaster has picked up seasons three, four and five of the American Football drama to follow on from its previous pick-up of the first two runs

Advertisement