Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

me want tattoo underage

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sprrratt wrote: »
    I believe anybody age 15 and up should be mentally mature enough to make a decision regarding their skin.

Are you nuts?At 15 I couldnt decide what I wanted for breakfast never mind make a decision that was further than a few hours in the future.

Instead of telling people of that age that they are incapable of making that decision we should be teaching them how to make the right decision.

You really dont get it do you?

A 15 year old is still a child and CANNOT make a decision like this.Its not about teaching them to make the right decision--At 15 this decision is not theirs to make.If my 14 year old was to ask me for a tattoo at 15 she`d be told where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 carlarua

Any reputable tattoo studio wouldn't touch any under 18's with a barge pole, never mind a needle. A lot of them ask for a passport or student card as proof of age.
    There is a reason why hygiene is such a big issue with tattoo studios. And of course, all the other above mentioned reasons of warping and changing your mind at a later stage as well.

If my 15 year old would come home with a tattoo, I'd sue the bejaysus out of whoever inked her. Considering I have a good few tatttoos and piercings myself - all gotten after I was 20 - that's saying something.

Legally, you are still not an adult. Things like medical decisions would be up to your parents until the age of 18. So why go ahead with this ?

I've an uncle who had a tattoo done - in a backstreet parlor - of what was supposed to be a panther. I wish I could show it to you, because it doesn't look like anything it was meant to be, and he's stuck with it on a very visible place since he's 17.
    If you want to spend the money on something, why not spend it in a studio where no one does anything illegal, who stick to the hygiene rules and explain after care to you, and get quality for your dosh

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

its not really up to you to sound so pretentious..im sure you dont really know what your on about anway :)
    Sorry if I sounded pretentious. As for not knowing what I'm on about....
    I'm a qualified paramedic, I have instructed at one of the UK's busiest Body Piercing training centres and I currently own and run a Tattoo and Body Piercing Studio in Dublin. All in all I reckon I've a fair idea what I'm on about.
    I can understand the burning desire to get a tattoo but all any of us professionals want is for you to think about who's tattooing you and where it's been done. Without wishing to rehash old arguments without proper regulations in this country we will always have scratchers. There is a reason why people work out of their bedrooms and not in studios and it's usually because they're not good enough to get a position in a proper studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'm getting very tempted to close this thread, or issue infractions to people for being downright disrespectful of others in this forum, but with the desire to educate rather than punish for this, I'll keep this open for now.

My opinion:

What some of the younger/underage people here don't appreciate or take on board, is that most of us here had also wanted tattoos when we were underage, and most of us listened to reason and waited till we were old enough to get one legitimately in a studio that took all the necessary precautions. We KNOW how you feel. We wanted the tattoos too, and felt that we were never going to change our minds on what we like! I'm now 31, and if I had gotten then what I wanted to get, where I wanted to get it, I know I'd have regretted it within a few years. And that it'd never have looked great to begin with either!

Instead, I waited. I looked up different designs, different styles, different artists. I printed off designs that I liked, and kept them for ages. Most I went off, some I didn't. I kept doing this, replacing the ones that I didn't like until I had one that I wasn't going off. I REALLY took my time over it, my first tattoo wasn't till I was 26, because my mind kept changing, or I was not completely sure! Now I have three tattoos that I love.

Long story short, wait, use the time to be sure of what you want, and get it done by whoever you think is best for the job. That way you'll most likely never regret any ink that you get done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hask1965

why dont you try a stick on tatto for a while and see if you really want one if ya do wait untill your 18 at least you can not just rub it out if ya dont like it and its there for good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Sparkles:)

Sprrratt wrote: »
    Well you could pretty much tell if hes a clean artist or not. The artist should open a sterilized needle for every client. Also he/she should have cleaning solution wiped over a couple of times and small bit of vaseline on the skin to stop bleeding. Its hardly open heart surgery now is it.

Sick of all this clean boll*cks. Tattoos have been around for thousands of years.

so have infections, complications and nasty scaring... also i think i'll stick to the "clean boll*cks" as you put it... ya know hiv/aids not around thousands of years? evolving infections...

thought your first post was kinda mature... imho that ruined you...

IMO a 16 year old that is really responsible enough to get a tattoo at 16 is the person that will wait until they're older, thats kinda my opinion of myself... same drawing since i was 14 got it for my 21st birthday...

think i want pierced off to tattoo me at some stage in my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Steff

tumblr_lgf00bGyzd1qa6lkso1_500.jpg
    This is an example of a tattoo done underage. She's 13 years of age and the tattooist (I would name and shame, but I don't know who it is) did it anyway, with the parent's consent.
    Notice how the stave only has 4 lines and the treble clef is at the end.
    Now, I know this is more an example of a bad design and urresponsible artist than anything, but I can't help but think had she put a few more months thought into this (I put a good two years minimum into my own) she would have at least realised that what she was getting done was... Well, ridiculous.

there is no legal age in ireland to have a tatto but most shops say no if you are younger than 18;)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dbmauser

dont do it kid trust me,have a stupid tattoo from when i was 16 and i hate it,cant afford laser surgery to get it off(currently saving) and iv been taking 2 years to think of one tattoo to get now but cant untill i pay to get rid of this disgusting piece off my body,just wait untill your older and get one then,im 21 and still havnt found something that i want there for the rest of my life

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

dbmauser wrote: »
    dont do it kid trust me,have a stupid tattoo from when i was 16 and i hate it,cant afford laser surgery to get it off(currently saving) and iv been taking 2 years to think of one tattoo to get now but cant untill i pay to get rid of this disgusting piece off my body,just wait untill your older and get one then,im 21 and still havnt found something that i want there for the rest of my life

If it's faded in any way, maybe a cover-up piece might be a better idea if you want to get another tattoo? Could end up hiding it better than lasering it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

OP, I know how frustrating it is to want a tattoo at sixteen and not being able to get it and I know you probably feel like the people on the board are treating you like an immature five year old. I know 'cause three years ago I was you. I didn't open a thread asking where to get tattooed underage but was planning on getting one, one way or the other and thought the people on here couldn't judge 'cause they didn't know me.

I ended up not getting it done because I didn't look old enough for them to believe I was eighteen and the agreement with the person who was to play my mother fell through. I do feel I was a bit more mature than some people at that age (though no where near as mature as I thought) and I still like the design I was planning on getting as my first tattoo. However the design I wanted for my first tattoo has a great deal of personal meaning. And it wasn't the only design I wanted at the time. There were about eight I had planned for later years and honestly, bar the one I already mentioned, I wouldn't get a single one of them now. Hell thinking about some of them actually makes me cringe. So yes, there's a chance you could get your tattoo and love it for the rest of your life, but there's an even higher chance you'll get it and regret it and end up paying a fortune for it to be removed in a few years.

If you are completely determined to get a tattoo now, I'll give you some advice. Get something that has a lot of personal meaning to you, something special that you honestly don't see yourself ever feeling differently about. Usually I'd then say consider this design for a few years but since you plan on getting it soon I'd say consider it for as long and hard as possible.

This is some advice I was given by a user in an off topic thread in a different forum when I recently mentioned that I'm getting my first tattoo soon and I personally think it's great advice;
    Jean wrote: »
    I always advise putting the picture of your first tattoo beside you bed and looking at it every single day for 6 months. If you still want it, then go for it - from then on, you'll know the feeling of 'yeah, that's IT' and how different it is to the impulsive 'yeah let's do it NOW wooooo hooooo!!'
    If you really want this so much that you can't wait six months then at least put the picture beside your bed from now till the time you get it.

Anyway best of luck whatever decision you make and whenever you get your tatt I hope you love it now and forever (although I still think you really ought to wait).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

i was booked in when i was 18-19 to get 3 lions done on my calf......

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad i went to the pub that day :D

whats wrong with the 3 lions no good glad ya had a pint instead every one should wait and really want one remember there not washoff ones they our there for life:D

Advertisement