Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's 'Up Close & Personal'

Options
  • 26-12-2010 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Deirdre O'Kane is on tonight.

Jason Byrne tomorrow night, dunno who's on Tuesday night.

I gave O'Kane exactly 9 minutes, then started browsing boards.ie.

I think its like 'An Audience With' as O'Kane referred to it herself.. but its pants.

Good thing we can throw this into 2010's bin, still might have hope for 2011.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

connundrum wrote: »
    Deirdre O'Kane is on tonight.

Jason Byrne tomorrow night, dunno who's on Tuesday night.

Jason Byrne's not on tomorrow - according to the RTE Guide it's Jimeoin.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Jason Byrne's not on tomorrow - according to the RTE Guide it's Jimeoin.

Good, he hasn't changed his set in 10 years but he's still funnier than Jason Byrne..

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jason Byrne is on now and he is awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

That was the worst thing ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Usersname

Jason Byrne's funny. You people just don't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Because I have a sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Jason Byrne funny? Really?

His funniest moment was scripted and in Father Ted.

Says something about the man really, the funniest thing he ever did, someone else wrote...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Usersname

People on here can be so dry :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Insulting people because of their dislike for Jason Byrne.

Sure you're not related to the man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Just watching this now.. for the first time.. currently Jimeoin is on ..

It seems like it's being filmed in a hotel room.. the cameraman seems more interested in picking out the Irish "stars" in the crowd.. Brent Pope, Michelle Doherty, Breffni... and then showing them laughing ... it's very poor, even with dubbing there's hardly a laugh from the audience..

I think RTE should just pack in trying to do comedy for 2011. Val Falvey, Mattie, Killinaskully... dear god... that sounds like the sort of offences that should be listed when somebody is in front of a judge..

• Advertisement

Dear god that was awful... The show should have been edited to 20/25 minutes max.. Even the audience were cringing at the end of it... My drunken cousin at a recent wedding was funnier and more sober...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Jimeoin was really funny, I found him really refreshing. There was lots of people in the audience laughing - those that had a sense of humour, the rest were just caught up their own arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It seems like it's being filmed in a hotel room..

The Sugar Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

rte have picked up the itv/bbc habit of filling the room with famous ppl, don't know what it adds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭Goose81

I was at the jimeoin one,it was in the sugar club.

He is the most un-funny comedian I have ever seen,no matter what the video shows (I havent watched it) he went down like a sack of spuds,even got heckled by someone at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The Jason Byrne one was repeated again last night :rolleyes: RTE will show any sh*te and repeat it many times

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Goose81 wrote: »
    I was at the jimeoin one,it was in the sugar club.

He is the most un-funny comedian I have ever seen,no matter what the video shows (I havent watched it) he went down like a sack of spuds,even got heckled by someone at the end.

I was in the audience for that one too - couple of funny moments, but not enought to keep me entertained, and my favourite part of that night was the smoke break. It dragged on for far too long. Didn't watch it on tv, so don't know how it came across, but a load of people left halfway through the show on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,883 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

there was clip of him on the late late laughback yesterday too, he did not come off well in it. eek

It dragged on for far too long. Didn't watch it on tv, so don't know how it came across, but a load of people left halfway through the show on the night.

I made that point earlier in the thread (from the TV viewer's point of view).. just wondering how long was the actual recording? It was certainly edited in parts, but I could imagine that it was much longer than the 45 minutes on the TV?

no energy about it, at times seeming like just casual banter he was having BEFORE starting the gig properly.. I cant imagine he's actually gigging with that show, it surely must have been a once off for RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I made that point earlier in the thread (from the TV viewer's point of view).. just wondering how long was the actual recording? It was certainly edited in parts, but I could imagine that it was much longer than the 45 minutes on the TV?

no energy about it, at times seeming like just casual banter he was having BEFORE starting the gig properly.. I cant imagine he's actually gigging with that show, it surely must have been a once off for RTE?

As far as I remember he did about an hour and 15 minutes maybe, but there was also a few things that had to be reshot and there was a lot of waiting around before the show itself.

To compare it - I was at a recording of the Panel last year. They filmed about 2 hours and it was hilarious. The way they edited for tv the next night was awful, so it came across badly on tv, but was actually good on the night. The up close and personal was not good full stop.

• Advertisement
Advertisement