Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HELP!!! Home Network Connection problem.

• 26-12-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

I need some advice from somebody 'in the know..'

Got a new Sony Vaio for my daughter for Christmas. (PCG-713111M)
    OS is Windows 7. McAfee installed. Belkin N Router, approx 3 years old.

Also have another Vaio laptop, a Lenovo laptop, HP Printer/All in One and HP Touchsmart PC and 3 iPhones that all work off the same network with no problems.

The problem is that while I can get it connected to my home (wireless) network it loses the connection after 10 minutes - EVERY TIME !!!
    I've rebooted it, installed 7 Vaio updates that were due, had a problem with turning on the Firewall, though that seems ok now, and gone through all the connections, switching on and off router etc but to no avail. I've also gone through the troubleshooter and the message coming up is 'Problem with wireless adapter or access point'
    Can't see how it's a Router compatibility problem if it stays on for 10 minutes but then goes off - surely it wouldn't come on at all if that's the case. Even tried turning off all the other devices just in case it was an overload issue but same thing again.
    Haven't had the chance yet to try it on Wi-Fi or anybody elses network but will try that tomorrow.

Anybody???

(If anybody in Cork hears a window breaking and sees a Pink Sony Vaio flying through the air don't panic !!)

Cheers,
    D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Update;

Just had it working for 26 minutes before it lost the connection.. A new record!!!!
    Restarting the Laptop doesn't have any effect but if I restart the router it works again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

disable the power save setting in wireles nic, think its called allow device to be turned off to conserve power, a tick box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Like Corkcomp said, it's likely yo be something to do with power saving,

To turn power management features on or off on a network adapter :

1. Open Network and Sharing Center (click the Start button, type Network and Sharing in the Start Search box, and press Enter).
    2. Click the Change adapter settings link in the upper left of the navigation pane.
    3. Right click the network connection you want to enable/disable power management support on and click Properties.
    4. Click Configure.
    5. On the Power Management tab, check or clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box.
    * When checked, power management is enabled on the network adapter.
    * When cleared, power management is disabled on the network adapter.

Thanks for that lads...

So far so good -seems to have done the trick. Haven't powered it off and back on yet just to double check it but I'll do that as soon as lovely daughter gives it back to me.

Thanks Again,

D

Still haven't resolved this issue.

Stayed on continuously yesterday for most of the day but late afternoon the connection went off and proceeded to do so again every 10/15 minutes - the only way of reconnecting being to switch on and off the router.
    Exact same today, on for half the day then giving trouble for the rest.

Anybody got any other ideas??

Starting to think that it could be a dodgy adapter even though the 'This Device is working' message comes up when I go digging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

hi i have a sony vaio for a year now and was doing the same for me
    before xmas i rang sony pc help ireland and they got me to re install to factory settings
    start working ok then web is starting not to work even though it says connected
    i have tried to turn off power saving as per above post so far so good

it will connect to other networks ok

mine is weird
    it works perfect if the wifes laptop is turned on

i have an add here with the problem trying to find a solution
    im sure it is laptop problem but my isp is vodafone (ex bt) if that makes a difference
    i got rid of mcAffee off machine today thonking it was them blocking untill i bought the years subscription but it still happens

thanks ste

anybody else got any solutions please help us

Well it could be the adapter, the wireless router or just interference from nearby wireless networks.

1. If you can check how everything works on a different wireless network then this would help. If it works fine somewhere else then you could reasonably assume that the adapter is okay.

2. If other computers' wireless works fine all the time then you could reasoably assume that the wireless router is okay.

3. Interference. This is often the problem where a wireless connection problem is intermittent. Download inSSIDer and run it to see what wireless networks your computer can see and what channels all the various networks are running on. Changing the channel of your wireless to a quieter one can sometimes make a big difference.

hi Bhickey

i have checked settings on my wifes vista and the only thing different is

IPv6 connectivity is local on wifes pc
    and on my pc is no inet connection

i found this thread what do you think

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/6dd90fd2-7c97-4343-a045-8b89e020720f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,283 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I would disable McAfee or Uninstall it. Security programs gone bad have a knack for screwing with network connectivity.

Alternatively it could be something to do with IP Adresses: with so many devices - especially mobile devices - there could be some conflicts with the router trying to issue the same address to 2 or more devices. I would follow the steps for establishing a static IP address for this laptop: preferably a higher number, the router will default the first found device to something like 192.168.2.101, the next will be .102, .103, etc. so its worthwhile to establish the laptops static address as something like .120, etc.

Or it could be simply that there are more devices on the connection than the router can reasonably sustain, resulting in dropped connection. I find that less likely than a McAfee or addressing conflict however.

stedeb wrote: »
    i found this thread what do you think

Hello Stedeb, your problem is completely different so can you keep it to its own thread as posting here will only confuse things. I've replied separately on that thread.

• Advertisement

sorry bhick

Problem Now Resolved.

Thanks to everyone here that posted tips. Tried all of them, and while some appeared to work it was always temporary.
    Tried the laptop in My mothers and my sisters with the same result all the time.

Eventually Mrs went back to Harvey Norman (Little Island, Cork) with it today and explained the problem. A very helpful assistant investigated it and asked Mrs to bring down our old router - also bought in HN - tried everything out and eventually narrowed it down to a compatibility issue/and or other problem with the router. No bother says he, there's a lifetime guarantee, here's a bigger, better, newer, go faster model. Have a nice day!!

Home and set up now with everything working as it should from the get-go.

Kudos to the man, and to HN. 10/10.

Thanks again to everyone here as well.

Cheers,

D.

Advertisement