Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Password problem

• 27-12-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I recently acquired a desktop from a deceased relative but it's passworded and I've tried everything to get past it. Is the password stored in the RAM or on the C drive.? If I replace the C drive will this solve the problem?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bit of a coincidence that there is another thread with the same question ?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056129185

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paddydunbane

No coincidence Cap'n. My son said he would try to find a solution. He posted the other thread. I was hoping for a more constructive reply!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

No coincidence Cap'n. My son said he would try to find a solution. He posted the other thread. I was hoping for a more constructive reply!!!

i dont think anyone here will help you with password cracking. the circumstances are not really relevant tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Is the password stored in the RAM or on the C drive.?

The hard drive. The contents of the RAM are lost each time you power off the computer.
    If I replace the C drive will this solve the problem?

Yes, but you will need to reinstall windows anyway. You can do this with the current drive (and save yourself buying a new one). Just buy a new windows cd / licence. I think komplett.ie do them for reasonable money.

Sometimes the windows XP key is on the outside of the box. If this is the case, you can just go ahead and reinstall with that key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

On the other thread it was asked that you (or your son) "Post up the make and model number of the PC/laptop that you have the problem with". There was no reply. In order to be constructive, it helps if people are given the required information.

If it's a BIOS password issue as hinted at in the other thread, then reinstalling Windows (on any hard disk) will not help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 paddydunbane

:)T corkcamp, wrong my friend. There are nice people in the world too but thanks for your interest. To bhickey. You're absolutly right.! I apologise. Christmas disrupted my plans. Thanks for the info. Khannie, you are wonderful. To be honest, I found another way but your response was 100% and might well have worked.

Advertisement