Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon Rivers reopening

Options
  • 27-12-2010 1:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭

Anyone see the paper earlier in the week?
    20 rivers that were closed for salmon fishing last year have reopened some for harvest others for catch and release. This is encouraging news and hopefully the beginning of a new more sustainable era in salmon fishing in this country.
    Most importantly for me I see the Slaney has opened for catch and release from May onwards. As the Slaney in primarily a Spring river it is not yet fully opened but at least we are making progress. I am looking forward to some summer grilse fishing though:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭kennyw

Well blackstairs,

Just wondering, what other rivers have been re opened for the catch an release sides of it..?

Im livin down waterford way and just intrested to hear if there is any gud beats around or near, bar the slaney, that i can wet a line an hopefully have sum tight lines for a few evenings with the run of grilse..??

What approx time of year is the best for the run of sea trout or salmon down this south east..?

any advise would be gud..

looking forward to your reply.
    Kenny

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭blackstairsboy

I am not too sure about rivers in the Waterford area as I have not fished there much before. Salmon run in the Slaney primarily in the spring with a run of grilse in the summer months. Not so long ago the Slaney was considered the premium spring river in the country. Sea trout run down this way towards the end of June and throughout July into August. Not too long to wait now:D. Talk to your local tackle dealer as he is the man to ask in your area. Best of luck let us know how you get on.

ahttp://www.slaneyrivertrust.ie/nd A useful link to the Slaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Did the liffey open up?

I am not too sure about rivers in the Waterford area as I have not fished there much before. Salmon run in the Slaney primarily in the spring with a run of grilse in the summer months. Not so long ago the Slaney was considered the premium spring river in the country. Sea trout run down this way towards the end of June and throughout July into August. Not too long to wait now:D. Talk to your local tackle dealer as he is the man to ask in your area. Best of luck let us know how you get on.

ahttp://www.slaneyrivertrust.ie/nd A useful link to the Slaney.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Advertisement