Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Something Behind the Mantelpiece

Options
  • 27-12-2010 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭

Bit of an odd one here folks so I'd appreciate if you bare with me. Basically in the living room of our rented apartment we have an electric fireplace and around that there is a very sizeable mantlepiece. We've been here almost a year and naturally we use it to hold things, like books, a potted plant and so on. On Christmas day the missus put an envelope containing a €150 voucher on the mantlepiece. As she was putting it down it slide down a gap between the mantlepiece and the wall. We had never noticed it, as well you don't think of looking for a gap.

I took everything off of the mantlepiece, tried fishing behind it with a piece of wire but no luck. I found some screws in parts of the wood but they don't seem to do much and it's pretty solid.

I'm basically wondering if our landlord would be obliged to try and retrieve the voucher in some way? We didn't expect a gap in the wall and we've lost something as a result and really through no fault of our own. I looked to see if it was possible to dismantle and reassemble but I don't think so.

What do you think? Do we have a leg to stand on asking the landlord if they are willing to do something about it, or is it just tough luck for us?

140953.JPG

140954.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

the landlord is definately not "obliged" to remove a fireplace because u lost a piece of paper behind it

if its only a decorative fireplace it might only be screwed to the wall

you could try removing it your self and putting it back on but bear in mind any damage done may cost more than the piece of paper was worth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Could you hammer (gently) the top part off. Just the shelf piece. It may just be slotted in with dowels and you could tap it back in. Use a rubber hammer or normal hammer with a towel covering where you hit so as not to damage the wood. You will be hitting the underside so it won't be noticeable if you do cause paint damage. Carefully select the point where you hit and see if there is any movement on that part. Tap it at first lightly.

Of course, this may not be how the fireplace was assembled, it's hard to tell from the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

B

I'm basically wondering if our landlord would be obliged to try and retrieve the voucher in some way? We didn't expect a gap in the wall and we've lost something as a result and really through no fault of our own.

Your post would seem to imply that the LL is somehow at fault here.

He is not obliged to remove the fireplace surround, in fact he may not have a clue how to do so.

The good news is that since there is a gap. you may be able to pry it far enough from the wall to retrieve.

As another poster said, these surrounds are usually not built into the wall, and from the photo you posted you could well be able to remove it without damaging the plaster.

If you do get it off run a thin bead of clear silicon along the top of the fireplace surround when you are done to prevent stuff falling down there again. A tube costs around €3 and the bead will be virtually unnoticeable.

Regarding the voucher it MAY be possible to talk to someone in the shop it is valid for and tell them what happened. If you have the receipt, they might be able to cancel the one you dropped and issue you another one.

Either way, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Any update?
    Did you get it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Your post would seem to imply that the LL is somehow at fault here.

He is not obliged to remove the fireplace surround, in fact he may not have a clue how to do so.

The good news is that since there is a gap. you may be able to pry it far enough from the wall to retrieve.

As another poster said, these surrounds are usually not built into the wall, and from the photo you posted you could well be able to remove it without damaging the plaster.

If you do get it off run a thin bead of clear silicon along the top of the fireplace surround when you are done to prevent stuff falling down there again. A tube costs around €3 and the bead will be virtually unnoticeable.

Regarding the voucher it MAY be possible to talk to someone in the shop it is valid for and tell them what happened. If you have the receipt, they might be able to cancel the one you dropped and issue you another one.

Either way, good luck!

I can guarantee you that it will be visible and a total mess, if done by someone who has never used silicone before.
    Dont forget to caulk and paint the sides of the mantelpiece too if you pry it out. Take pictures before and after, because if the landlord has to get somone in to re-decorate this they will just charge you for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement