Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport Jobs With 12 Month USA Work Visa

Options
  • 27-12-2010 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been researching a bit about the 12 month USA work visa and the internship programme as well, and I'm just wondering would there be much chance of getting work in the transport sector over in the states, preferably in aviation, if your course is to do with transport?

Any help or advise is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

What kind of jobs are you talking about? Logistics? ATC?

The 2 questions I would be investigating would be:
    1) Would an aviation job require security clearance and would this be obtainable in a reasonable time frame?
    2) Airports tend to be outside cities, necessitating a car. Different states have different rules on non-immigrant visa holders and getting a US licence. In TX your visa must have at least 6 months on it but there was a poster who couldn't get a licence as his state required 1 year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Jim236

What kind of jobs are you talking about? Logistics? ATC?

Cheers for the reply. Jobs in airline or airport management, which would be related to the course I'm doing.
    The 2 questions I would be investigating would be:
    1) Would an aviation job require security clearance and would this be obtainable in a reasonable time frame?

I suppose if you gave the company enough notice before going, it shouldn't be a problem. But thats assuming airlines or airports would offer internships/work placements, which is what I'm trying to find out.
    2) Airports tend to be outside cities, necessitating a car. Different states have different rules on non-immigrant visa holders and getting a US licence. In TX your visa must have at least 6 months on it but there was a poster who couldn't get a licence as his state required 1 year.

Yeh thats a good point, I suppose I'd be aiming to work in the likes of New York or anywhere with decent public transport if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You may have difficulty with larger airports due to the security issue. You could investigate regional airports; I know our local one (XNA) does internships for local college students, but they work a bit different (2 days a week while student goes to college on other days).

Airlines may be an easier option, many have their offices off-airport location.

Advertisement