Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happened to 32GB+ players?

• 27-12-2010 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I remember back in the day when PMPs were the stuff of legend that one of your smug mates with the well-off parents had. He would sneer at your discman or minidisc player. One such friend had an old Creative Nomad Jukebox. The thing was monstrous mind you but it held something like 30GB as standard. 30-40GB was about the norm for players then. This is even before solid state storage became as common as it is today.

My question is why are players now such small capacities. I have an 8GB creative zen and I find myself changing the music on it every other week. I tried expanding it with an SD card but you can't shuffle the whole lot in one big playlist. Just one source or the other.

Always wondered why capacities got smaller instead of larger? My only theory is that hard disk-based players can hold more data than solid state ones but SS storage would make players too expensive at such high capacities. I saw a 16GB USB key though. It was no bigger than my thumb and it cost something like 30 or 40 euro. Surely that doesnt translate to a hugely expensive player??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I remember back in the day when PMPs were the stuff of legend that one of your smug mates with the well-off parents had. He would sneer at your discman or minidisc player. One such friend had an old Creative Nomad Jukebox. The thing was monstrous mind you but it held something like 30GB as standard. 30-40GB was about the norm for players then. This is even before solid state storage became as common as it is today.

My question is why are players now such small capacities. I have an 8GB creative zen and I find myself changing the music on it every other week. I tried expanding it with an SD card but you can't shuffle the whole lot in one big playlist. Just one source or the other.

Always wondered why capacities got smaller instead of larger? My only theory is that hard disk-based players can hold more data than solid state ones but SS storage would make players too expensive at such high capacities. I saw a 16GB USB key though. It was no bigger than my thumb and it cost something like 30 or 40 euro. Surely that doesnt translate to a hugely expensive player??

Larger capacity tend to be HDD players which don't like too much motion or being shaken i.e. not good for jogging.

Most people don't own/like that much music.

Solid state players get pretty expensive quickly as you go up. Most people just aren't prepared to invest that much.

I'll be buying a 64 gig Zen X-fi 2 as soon as i can afford one to replace my 32 gig model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Got it in one. HD storage is still a lot cheaper than SS and will probably always be so. That is why Apple still make the iPod Classic with it's 160 GB capacity. Match that with SS and it would have to cost around €400 - about double the cost of an iPod Classic.

Advertisement