Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop with insurance broken for third time.

Options
  • 27-12-2010 2:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭

Hello there,

A laptop that was bought two years ago from Pc World in Limerick has been broken 3 times and sent in for repair twice, the third fault happened just a few days ago.

The first two faults had to do with the screen turning itself off randomly so away it went the first time for repair, almost 40 days later it is returned but low and behold the fault remained. So its sent away again for over a month again.

When it was returned the second time the fault with the screen was fixed and it worked perfectly for about two weeks when all of a sudden the started making odd noises (coming from the hard drive not speakers or anywhere else) and the laptop froze so as you would in that situation you restart it.

After the reset the Bios complains about there being no hard drive present but the hard drive is infact there but making the same odd noise it was making just before the crash, So my educated guess would be the hard drive is knackered.

Now this is getting very old very fast. in the past 3 months the laptop was not in a repair centre for about 2 weeks! I do not wish to put this into repair again as I am sure you would agree I was more then fair with the first two repairs especially as the first time it came back it had the same fault.

There is insurance on the laptop so when I go to bring it back they will have no choice but to offer me at least a repair, I am not going to accept this.

My question is, what are my rights? I gave them every chance to fix the laptop! I would like a new laptop of the same specification. Again that is hardly and unfair request. Before I go in all guns blazing what should I say? When they try to fob me off, and they will what should I do? I will of course ask for the manager and if he tries the same I will send registered letters to them requesting to accept my request for a replacement or face small claims court and bad feedback on many websites and word of mouth.

So guys, what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Three repairs ie attempts afaik so you have no choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

tommy21 wrote: »
    Three repairs ie attempts afaik so you have no choice

I was under the impression that that was a misconception of the law, that it was infact you where to give them a reasonable chance to repair it, which they have had.

My understanding was when shops say this it was only a ploy for them to get there own way.

Could anyone please clarify it to me? Thanks in advance!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They can offer you a repair, replacement or refund. You don't have to accept, and can take it to the SCC if you think its unacceptable, but their repair is supposed to be permanent. One repair, BTW, not 3. I would do exactly as you have laid out at the end of your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

OP, you are talking about insurance which is completely different to your statutory rights. IF you wish to pursue this via the insurance route then you follow the insurance terms and processes that you originally agreed to whatever they are. You could start asserting your statutory rights here and ignore the insurance route but be prepared for a fight from what I have read on the Curry's/PC World forum.

I suggest you post your issue on the Curry's/PC World forum where you can get in direct contact with the managing director of Curry's/PC World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

axer wrote: »
    OP, you are talking about insurance which is completely different to your statutory rights. IF you wish to pursue this via the insurance route then you follow the insurance terms and processes that you originally agreed to whatever they are. You could start asserting your statutory rights here and ignore the insurance route but be prepared for a fight from what I have read on the Curry's/PC World forum.

I suggest you post your issue on the Curry's/PC World forum where you can get in direct contact with the managing director of Curry's/PC World.

Thank you,

I will do whatever is required to sort this out fast as being without a laptop is detrimkental to my studies, not so much over the xmas but come January I will need it.

I will make my case in currys either tomorrow or Thursday and if I do not receive an acceptable answer I will try the curry's forum as a last resort before SCC

Thanks for your input!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

According to consumer law you are entitled to a refund/replacement if the first repair does not solve the problem. While consumer law is in general pretty confusing and by that I mean there is no rock hard law regarding whether the customer/the shop decide on repair, refund or replacement, the law does state in simple english that if a repair does not work the first time then you are entitled to demand a refund/replacement. Obviously the shop has completely lost your faith as a customer and you will be more inclined to demand a refund rather than receive another faulty product.

I am not sure what effect the timeline will have on what I have said above, as in general, allowing any lengthy period of time to lapse is taken as your acceptance of the solution offered.

Advertisement