Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet Phone - what to do?

Options
  • 27-12-2010 3:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

Just dropped my phone down the toilet....yup. Happy days. Anyway, got it out in about a second so shouldnt have seeped too far into it. Dried it off and hoped for the best and seemed fime until about a minute afterwards it said "sim registration failed". I have it on the radiator now, again, hoping for the best.

Does anyone have an idea of what would be the best course of action?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,317 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Put it into a sealed plastic bag with some rice in it, and put it in the hot press for a couple of days. The rice will draw the moisture out, but it may not be enough to get it working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Shake blow and blot any water you can see. Especially any opening in the phone such as microphone, ear phone socket etc

Take the battery out and dont put it back in until the phone is way dry (days at least). Electricity shorting through your wet phone is not clever.

Disassemble the phone as far as you can to aid drying. Often there are youtube vids which will show how to do this for your phone model.
    Radiator, airing cubbord, back of CRT all good drying places.
    Your warranty is probably already blown due to water damage so you have little to lose (little stickers inside the phone change colour when they get wet)

I typed this on my Galaxy S which fully recovered from a trip down the jacks so there is hope.

PS what were you doing with your phone in the jacks? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Wilson91

Shake blow and blot any water you can see. Especially any opening in the phone such as microphone, ear phone socket etc

Take the battery out and dont put it back in until the phone is way dry (days at least). Electricity shorting through your wet phone is not clever.

Disassemble the phone as far as you can to aid drying. Often there are youtube vids which will show how to do this for your phone model.
    Radiator, airing cubbord, back of CRT all good drying places.
    Your warranty is probably already blown due to water damage so you have little to lose (little stickers inside the phone change colour when they get wet)

I typed this on my Galaxy S which fully recovered from a trip down the jacks so there is hope.

PS what were you doing with your phone in the jacks? ;)

Walking round the house in shorts all day.. lazy day and they're comfortable :p Only problem is they have no pockets, so tucked my phone into the waistband...forgot about it and went to the toilet... opened my shorts and PLOP, out it fell. SICKENED...always very conscious of dropping it down the jacks when im drunk.
    It seems fookered, the youtube idea is good though. thanks man!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bigears1

Hi
    I did the same to my Galaxy s on Monday last dropped it down the loo, pulled it out immediately and took out the battery sim cards etc and held it in front of a blow fan, later in the day dried it out in front of a fire and that night put it in a bag of rice having dismantled it as much as I could.
    switched it on the next day about 3pm and it worked fine except for the home key ,I can manage without it but it not as convenient.
    Anyone any ideas how to fix this or is there an app that will go back to the home screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

probably famous for dropping my phone in the bath at this stage, done it numerous times, (watching my slingplayer tv app while in the bath), happened a lot with my n95 and my e51, more recently with a nokia x6 while i was taking a call, (from which i thought there would be no coming back), but i would just have to take out the battery, sim card, and dont forget most important- the memory card! then practically jam my wifes hair dryer into the battery compartment on high for a minute, then prop the phone up and leave the hair dryer a little distance away, for about half an hour, then i'd reassemble, if the phone didnt work first time, i'd dismantle again and leave on the bedside locker overnight. then it would be right by morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement