Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial Arts training in Kildare?

• 27-12-2010 4:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

[note to mods: I wasn't sure if I should have posted this here or in the Kildare forum. I was hoping I could post this here first and if I don't have any luck I'll pm one of you asking for this to be moved to the Kildare forum].

Thread title says pretty much everything that needs to be said, I has to be around the Newbridge-Kildare area. Can someone show me some sort of source that would help me find somewhere to go? Or ideally point me strait to one. I'm not sure which specific martial art I want to do, I want to do whatever is available. Also, I don't want to go to one that full of children.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

There's Karate in Newbridge:

http://www.uskf.org/ClubHomepages/Newbridge/tabid/178/Default.aspx

TaeKwonDo in Kildare:

http://www.inta.ie/clubs/kildare_taekwon_do_club/

Tai Chi (traditional Yang style) in Clane:

http://www.wulonghealing.com

Hope this helps

maguffin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 wrestlingdad

i would reccomend in celbridge, kildare , husariafightteam - see website www.husariafifghtteam.com - thai, sub wrestling and bjj - great atmosphere, good bunch of lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

All depends on what you want to do... :)

Is it for sport, defense, fun, fitness, competition (or all of the above)? There's a myriad of styles to choose from. It would be better if you could let us know what you hope to get out of your your training (even if you not familiar with particular styles) - then we can point you in the right direction as there's a fair few clubs down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Idunnolol

Thanks so far.
    Baggio... wrote: »
    All depends on what you want to do... :)

Is it for sport, defense, fun, fitness, competition (or all of the above)? There's a myriad of styles to choose from. It would be better if you could let us know what you hope to get out of your your training (even if you not familiar with particular styles) - then we can point you in the right direction as there's a fair few clubs down here.

I was hoping for fitness and self-defence. Fun would be nice and I have no real interest in taking part in competitions.

Right cool.... You're more than welcome to pop down here. I run a small class in Rathangan every Sunday. We only look at the self-defence side of training (as well as combative fitness). For details see my signature. :)

For more info'.
    Here's our founders link:
    http://www.urbancombatives.com/m_intro/about.htm

But if your looking to get into the ring at some point (sparring/competition, etc.) . Then I'd highly recomend Muay Thai or Western Boxing - these will give you great defensive skills, and the whole ring experience too (as well as tremendous fitness). Add some street smarts to those arts - and you well on your way! :)

But if you want to pop down here on a Sunday then you are more than welcome to.

Cheers,

Rob.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

First off I'd never recommend someone take up a style just for self defence, mostly whats taught is rubbish taught by someone who has never been in a position where their teachings have been pressure tested.

My recommendation is that you look around and visit the various styles in your area, one of them will 'click' with you and any thoughts off self defence will go right out the window.

I've no idea what clubs or styles are in your area, so can't point you in any particular direction.

But I'd a conversation with a mate recently (Cowzerp - MMA Mod). We were talking about effective styles, and my door work experience.. The guys I've worked with who had some really good techniques for dealing with troublesome punters had trained in Judo, Aikido, Ninjitsu and boxing/kickboxing.

However since you don't want to compete I'd strike Judo off that list, and boxing too - probably kickboxing also!.

Enjoy you rsearch, and hope you find something suitable.

mostly whats taught is rubbish taught by someone who has never been in a position where their teachings have been pressure tested.

Totally agree with that statement.

Whatever style you do go for in the end - if you really want to see if it works just make sure you see how they "pressure test" their material, IE - if there is full contact involved then that will give you some idea. If it's only ever "light or tip" contact with a highly compliant partner then I'd personally think twice about using it for a real life situation.

Make sure you go along to some different classes, sit in and have a look. Any decent coach should let you observe for a wee while at the very least.

Best of luck with it! :)

PS - Whatever you do don't waste your money on some weekend end course that will just rip you off - To be really good at anything take practice and dedication.

Right cool.... You're more than welcome to pop down here. I run a small class in Rathangan every Sunday. We only look at the self-defence side of training (as well as combative fitness). For details see my signature. :)

For more info'.
    Here's our founders link:
    http://www.urbancombatives.com/m_intro/about.htm

But if your looking to get into the ring at some point (sparring/competition, etc.) . Then I'd highly recomend Muay Thai or Western Boxing - these will give you great defensive skills, and the whole ring experience too (as well as tremendous fitness). Add some street smarts to those arts - and you well on your way! :)

But if you want to pop down here on a Sunday then you are more than welcome to.

Cheers,

Rob.
    Would your classes me more adult? I've done karate in the past, but the classes mainly consisted of children (7-12). I was hoping for a proper class.

Aye, mate.

My classes are strictly over 18s.

Cheers,

Rob.

Aye, mate.

My classes are strictly over 18s.

Cheers,

Rob.

The link you posted said the classes are on Wednesday, but you teach on Sunday? I'm a bit confused. I won't be starting until early next year, but I'm definitely interested, this is exactly what I hoping for.

• Advertisement

Sorry, yeah - it's on a Sunday. I used to teach on a Wednesday, must get that changed. :o

Cool mate - drop me a line when you want to start. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭aidan13

Idunnolol wrote: »
    Thanks so far.

I was hoping for fitness and self-defence. Fun would be nice and I have no real interest in taking part in competitions.

For me and this is only my opinion Wing Chun is the best for self defence, again just my opion.

Is on in Naas on Thursdays at 7.30pm if your interested.

Best thing is to come for a look. Once you see it I promise you that you'll be hooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Athy BJJ

Brazilian Jiu jitsu,

No B.S. it works just watch the UFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

da-bres wrote: »
    Athy BJJ

Brazilian Jiu jitsu,

No B.S. it works just watch the UFC

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Darren Mahony

Hi there

Mr Ed Downey runs a great Kenpo Karate class in Celbridge. He has a full time studio thats open 6 days a week with morning and evening classes for adults so there's a time to suit everyone. He has a team of instructors who teach there and they thay all have something different to offer within the system of Kenpo.
    Mr Downey is one of the top Kenpo Instructors in Europe who will be in Kenpo 40 years next year and he is a really nice guy to boot. You won't go wrong there.

Regards
    Darren Mahony

Advertisement