Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I told children that there was no such thing as Santa.

• 27-12-2010 5:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭

Basically I told my sisters children that santa didn't exist and the red and white Santa character was created by coca cola marketers in the early 1930s. I never lied to my 3 children, if they ask me a question I will answer it truthfully, I never led them to believe that santa existed.. We constantly tell our children not to lie, if you lead your children to believe that santa exists then you are a liar and a hypocrite.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I agree,thats what happened Hitler.He believed in Santa till the day he shot himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Does your sister know this? Pretty scab on the children like! kinda ruins christmas in their eyes! Being a hypocrite is one thing but being a dick is another!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Looks like you lied to your kids. Coca cola had nothing to do with santa being red.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/santa/cocacola.asp

Who cares if telling kids santa is real is technically lying. Personally, I feel sorry for your kids and your sisters kids for having the magic of santa being robbed from them at such an early age. I remember one of my nieces years ago went to see santa. She was so excited and went absolutely bat shít crazy over it. Sure it's all a lie but it's not hurting anyone and it keeps them happy so who gives a rats ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I'd say your sister and her children won't be visiting you any time soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

if you lead your children to believe that santa exists then you are a liar and a hypocrite.

And if you don't, then you are evil.

I'd rather be a liar & a hypocrite any day. After all, we're all liars & hypocrites.

And prison is reserved for the evil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 442 ✭✭smiley girl

Basically I told my sisters children that santa didn't exist and the red and white Santa character was created by coca cola marketers in the early 1930s. I never lied to my 3 children, if they ask me a question I will answer it truthfully, I never led them to believe that santa existed.. We constantly tell our children not to lie, if you lead your children to believe that santa exists then you are a liar and a hypocrite.

Liar and a hyprocrite..... you are cruel. Those children believed in exactly what you were allowed to believe in. It's a sad day when an 'adult' ruins chrisrtmas for an innocent child. There is a huge difference between lying and the magic of santa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I never lied to my 3 children, if they ask me a question I will answer it truthfully.

"Daddy, why are you such a prick?"

Opens bag of popcorn :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I agree,thats what happened Hitler.He believed in Santa till the day he shot himself.

Of course in Germany he's known as jährlicher Geschenkmann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Kepti

You're free to tell your own children about the boring reality of Christmas, but I think it crosses a line to tell it to your sisters children. It's alright to lie to children and even adults sometimes. I'd be amazed to hear that you have never lied in any form.

You had a choice to make between letting some children enjoy Christmas, and making a moral stand by exposing the lie and then posting about it on the internet. I can't tell if you're expecting respect or just a reaction. Way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

They would have found out that it was a lie eventually anyway, I did them a favour. My own children are a lot more mature for their age and balanced, they don't expect to receive things from make believe characters that don't exist, no santa, no easter bunny no tooth fairy..just the truth. My daughter who is 6 recently got in trouble at school for telling her peers that santa didn't exist, the next day i went to have a few words with her teacher. I asked her if she encouraged lying, if she had a problem with the truth and if she had double standards, she was completely stumped, the look of shock on her face was priceless.. not a peep out of her since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Despicable really. You can tell your own kids what you want (even if idon't agree with it) but it crosses the line when you tell other parents kids things. It's not up to you to make those decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

This has to be a wind up..No Person could be so cruel or so selfish...If it is true i feel sorry for the Op as opposed to the kids..They will get over the fact their Aunt ruined their childhood...The fact is her life is so empty, deprived of love and humanity she will never recover..She is to be pitied really...Very sad..

not a peep out of her since.
    And it's not because she agrees or respects your opinion.....trust me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

... the next day i went to have a few words with her teacher. I asked her if she encouraged lying, if she had a problem with the truth and if she had double standards, she was completely stumped, the look of shock on her face was priceless.. not a peep out of her since.

I'm sure you dumbfounded her. Like teachers don't come across this kind of behaviour every year. You're not unique in your stance - I can tell you that.

There's a difference between lies meant to harm people, and white lies meant to spare somebody's feelings. It's all in the intent, and your intent seems to be pretty cruel, self rightous and stubborn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

You should at least get your history eight.

The Vikings had a Santa tradition "Old Man Winter" who was the God Odin.

It is also used by parents to teach children morality.

I reckon you have some sort of an ant-globalisation paranoia.

Maldjd23 wrote: »
    They will get over the fact their Aunt ruined their childhood.

I'd say it's Uncle Jimmy,

The OP is a busybody, it's one thing to raise your own children but another to go interfering with other people's children, even if they are family

And in school we learned the story of St Nicholas, patron saint of travellers. Moral of the story being to help people in need, with the snow this week not a bad moral to teach people

Hang on..I have just figured it out...You are simply a miserable person...You don't want to spend money on presents...Bah Humbug!!!Merry Christmas my arse i pray god its your last!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

My daughter who is 6 recently got in trouble at school for telling her peers that santa didn't exist, the next day i went to have a few words with her teacher. I asked her if she encouraged lying, if she had a problem with the truth and if she had double standards, she was completely stumped, the look of shock on her face was priceless.. not a peep out of her since.

I would hazard a guess that this reaction is like a high from a drug too you. You are constantly searching for scenarios where you can "get a hit" in life. I would bet your mere appearance (in schools, work, canteen, local shop, church, the video store) actually clears a path.

This has to be a wind up..No Person could be so cruel or so selfish...If it is true i feel sorry for the Op as opposed to the kids..They will get over the fact their Aunt ruined their childhood...The fact is her life is so empty, deprived of love and humanity she will never recover..She is to be pitied really...Very sad..

I am completely serious. I do not think it is selfish to tell children the truth.
    I think it is more damaging to fill a childs mind with nonsense.

I am completely serious. I do not think it is selfish to tell children the truth.

No little Annie, put down that fairy story. Now come sit with me and I'll take you a tale of how Ireland got bailed out of its financial crisis... Or did it??

• Advertisement

Ehhh, there are billions of children around the world who grew up with Santa and the Tooth Fairy etc. Are we all "damaged?"

BTW, does your missus agree with all this nonsense?

Degag wrote: »
    BTW, does your missus agree with all this nonsense?

It is not nonsense but yes, we have a very similar way of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

I think thats horrible, stealing wonderful memories from your childern.

And its actually quite sad even worrying to have a very mature 6 year old, childern need to have imagination, maturity is for when your old!

Also you have no right to tell you sisters kids there is no santa, that really isnt your place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Bus77II

Ah I don't think it's the end of the world. But the Santa thing isnt just a truth or non-truth. Kids are more than willing to make up their own little worlds and characters ''We are all pirates!'' .ect
    I think you should take it easy and maybe apologise to your sister if she's put-out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

What a self righteous and self satisfied fellow you are.

Hang on..I have just figured it out...You are simply a miserable person...You don't want to spend money on presents...Bah Humbug!!!Merry Christmas my arse i pray god its your last!!!

If you're praying for the death of others, chances are you don't have as much figured out as you think.

Have a little faith in the abilities of your children. One lie about santa isn't liable to fill their minds.

How has your sister reacted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

pfft, if you said that to my child she'd laugh at you, those kids want to believe in santy and any hogwash you come out with won't deter them. besides, their parents will tell them not to mind their uncle, he's full of sh!t and a miserable ould cnut. :)

I'd say it's Uncle Jimmy, not sure why you think the OP is an aunt

The OP is a busybody, it's one thing to raise your own children but another to go interfering with other people's children, even if they are family

And in school we learned the story of St Nicholas, patron saint of travellers. Moral of the story being to help people in need, with the snow this week not a bad moral to teach people

Not sure the name Jimmy Garlic confirms it's a he??..(that said i have had a few beers so forgive me if i am wrong, just like i will forgive you for focusing on a mute point)....Am pretty sure a person can choose their username as they wish...Does not matter if they choose Jimmy or Julie now really thou does it??...Their opinion remains the same...I think we agree on the Op's actions...Have to admit i don't remember that tale about St.Nick...To me he was Santa...Nothing more and nothing less...I also remember being thought as a kid you help people in need no matter the season...I don't need a guy in a red hat(or whatever colour the OP likes) to tell me that...

• Advertisement

(that said i have had a few beers so forgive me if i am wrong, just like i will forgive you for focusing on a mute point)

You certainly have, your post reads like a James Joyce novel :p

But I'd agree with your point, I see Jimmy and made an assumption, I realy shouldn't make an assumption

I honestly can't get my head around your actions...Don't get me wrong i am open minded, very much so but a child's innocence is something to be treasured and cannot be reclaimed..Let them have it...In a few years they will be aware of so many bad things..War...Poverty and last but not least their own mortality...I also find it bizarre that you have taken it upon yourself to ruin children that are not your own??!!..If you were my sister you would never see me nor my kids again..

You certainly have, your post reads like a James Joyce novel :p

But I'd agree with your point, I see Jimmy and made an assumption, I realy shouldn't make an assumption

Lol..You won't be the first person i have confused with my drunken ramblings...I apologise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I know someone who did this with their kids. The get an argos book before christmas and highlight what they want. Sounds fun:-) christmas eve and day was a real barrel of laughs in that household.
    I love seeing the excitement on my childs face and would not give it up for anything.

I honestly can't get my head around your actions...Don't get me wrong i am open minded, very much so but a child's innocence is something to be treasured and cannot be reclaimed..Let them have it...In a few years they will be aware of so many bad things..War...Poverty and last but not least their own mortality...I also find it bizarre that you have taken it upon yourself to ruin children that are not your own??!!..If you were my sister you would never see me nor my kids again..

Very melodramatic, you would disown your own sister if she told your children that a bearded obese man in a silly hat and suit didn't exist?? that's extreme.. You seem like the type that sits around watching Opera Winfrey and getting emotional over nothing. I could be wrong but that is the impression that I get.

I can assure you that my children are very happy and fun loving, they are all very inquisitive and I prefer to teach them useful information instead of nonsense about santa and the easter bunny. They enjoy cartoons like most other children but they know that the characters do not exist in the real world. My six year old actually prefers documentaries about nature and how things are made. She has a good attention span, she can concentrate on something for more than five minutes.. The same can not be said for most other children.

Kepti wrote: »
    How has your sister reacted?

She initially had a bad reaction but once I sat her down and explained my position she cooled down. I spend a lot of time with her children (she is a single mother), I buy them cloths, I feed them in my house, I often look after them and I take one of them to school. I think I have earned the right to have a say in their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Troll alert.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Troll alert.

Oh grow up. Would you accuse me of being a troll if you agreed with me?..I don't think so.

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Troll alert.

Oh I don't know. According to the OP, he's convinced teachers, children, and now even mothers of the validity of his ways. Maybe we should just listen harder (to his nonsense).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

And jimmy comes on here to get a further fix of shock and anger.

Have you covered S&M yet with the 6 year old? Fisting? because you fo tell them everything???

I would just tell my niece and nephew to avoid the man with the strange tales and his kids

And I believe this whole story is BS so you can provoke a reaction

efb wrote: »
    And jimmy comes on here to get a further fix of shock and anger.

Have you covered S&M yet with the 6 year old? Fisting? because you fo tell them everything???

I would just tell my niece and nephew to avoid the man with the strange tales and his kids

And I believe this whole story is BS so you can provoke a reaction

He only told the truth about christmas, let's not try to paint him as some sort of sexual deviant whispering the mysteries of fisting to children. Keep in mind he's keeping the children away from the laps of disguised bearded men.

It doesn't seem like there was any malice in what he did. Even if you don't agree with it, it's clear that he cares about the children. I still say it was the mothers call, but this isn't the 'evil' act some of the hysterical are making it out to be.

• Advertisement

Which is worse.
    A lie that draws a smile, or a truth that draws a tear?

If there is anyone to feel sorry for it's the OP. It's the most magical and wonderful feeling in the world to watch your children get so excited about Santa. I would hate to miss out on all of that. Miss out on writing letters, miss out on a big trip to see the man himself, miss out on baking cookies to leave out on Christmas eve, miss out on being woken up at 7 in the morning with a big smile wondering if he has been yet.

Yep, the OP is missing out big time poor thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Aren't you the legend.
    So you never lied to your own 3 children about anything.
    They must have had a pretty boring upbringing, no fairy tales or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

You never lie to your children? Ever? How about if they ask you if you think their drawing is good? You'd tell them that it's a terrible drawing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

op sounds like a dick

and the whole about santa wasnt created by the coca cola company
    you kinda need to check your facts there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

/cross-checks posts with Atheism and Agnosticism forum
    Improbable wrote: »
    You never lie to your children? Ever? How about if they ask you if you think their drawing is good? You'd tell them that it's a terrible drawing?

Personally, I don't see the point in telling a child that everything he does is wonderful. It doesn't encourage them to make any effort and there's no feeling of achievement when everything is rated the same. I wouldn't laugh at a child's drawing or tell them it was **** but I wouldn't shy away from telling them it's not their best picture ever or could do with a bit more attention to detail.

That won't surprise many people though, I guess :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He only told the truth about christmas, let's not try to paint him as some sort of sexual deviant whispering the mysteries of fisting to children. Keep in mind he's keeping the children away from the laps of disguised bearded men.

It doesn't seem like there was any malice in what he did. Even if you don't agree with it, it's clear that he cares about the children. I still say it was the mothers call, but this isn't the 'evil' act some of the hysterical are making it out to be.
    He said he told his kids the truth if they asked him, being so wonderfully intelligent and articulate I'm sure sex has come up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Personally, I don't see the point in telling a child that everything he does is wonderful. It doesn't encourage them to make any effort and there's no feeling of achievement when everything is rated the same. I wouldn't laugh at a child's drawing or tell them it was **** but I wouldn't shy away from telling them it's not their best picture ever or could do with a bit more attention to detail.

That won't surprise many people though, I guess :D

I would imagine the reason you wouldn't tell them that it's terrible is to spare their feelings. It's not so much to do with telling the children that they're wonderful and brilliant but the double standard of shielding them emotionally from one thing and not another.

If you're praying for the death of others, chances are you don't have as much figured out as you think.

look up the definition of a joke my friend!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

.. We constantly tell our children not to lie, if you lead your children to believe that santa exists then you are a liar and a hypocrite.

Let me guess...you're from the Church of Scientology, right?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭HellboundIRL

I don't get what was so wrong with the way we were brought up, are we emotionally scarred from all these "lies"?

Its being a miserable old ****e is what it is, teach your kids to respect what others may believe and shut their trap - its a good lesson to learn.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement