Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN Client Free

Options
  • 27-12-2010 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

I use Sonicwall Global VPN client to connect to a network, but I am having major issues with it not working, is there an alternative VPN client (free) that anyone can suggest? I'm thinking there most be plenty as all o need to configure is the IP + pre shared key + username + password.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Try shrew. You may need to enter your P1 and P2 session timeout values.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

^^^ Thanks

I installed, played around with a few settings, then noticed this.http://www.shrew.net/support/wiki/HowtoSonicwall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'd take that to mean not 'officially' supported - as in they don't have a guide. Theoretically, any IPSec client should work with any IPSec gateway, so it might still be worth trying.

Did your previous client suddenly stop working, or could you not get it working off the bat? How far are you getting in the IKE process?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Stingray

Used the Sonicwall Global VPN client for about 2 years with no problems, then 10 days ago, it started taking 30-40 mins to make a connection, so I noticed there was a new version (4.2, I had 4.00), so decided to upgrade, thats when I really started to run in to issues, used the SW clean tool, but still it exists somewhere deep in my laptop, I can't just install 4.2 as it says I still have 4.00 installed, I can't re-install 4.00 as I get DLL errors, tried everything, I'm in a real knot

I'm not IT (although I am, if you see what I mean), I've entered the following
    IP address of my destination domain
    Pre Shared Key
    Username
    Password

But I get a message "can't connect". Not sure where I enter my 'virtual' IP address of the LAN, as we don't have a DHCP server, when I originally installed the SW GVPN I remember entering an IP eg, 10.1.1.140 and the Pre Shared Key. When I used to log in via the SW GVPN I only ever entered the Username & Password, I then connected to whatever PC I required via Windows Desktop

Advertisement