Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options
  • 27-12-2010 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

At last I can get a log going again! After two long months, I'm finally getting back into a routine :D It has been frustrating to say the least. I've missed running so much.

November = physio and rest

Mid December = slow short runs on grass, building up to 5 miles last week. My fitness levels are shocking. All my work for DCM has vanished, and I'm nowhere near as fit as I was even a year ago! But I don't mind too much, just to be back running again is all that matters.

My first race since DCM is a 5 mile charity fun run later today. It's lashing rain and very windy - I can't wait to get going! Fingers crossed my hip will co-operate, and today will be the first step to getting back into training again.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Best of luck with the new log and getting your fitness back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

good to see you back, the fitness will be back in no time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Thanks guys, it's good to be back :D

Mon 27/12 - baldy man run. I thought this was going to be tough, and it was. Weather was awful, wind and rain, and the tide was in, so the first couple of miles were run on stones and pebbles, which was tricky. There was lots of wave dodging aswell, so the feet were soaked in no time. The wind was blowing straight into us. Then at mile 2.5 we turned round the back of the sandhills, and met with the delightful soft sand. The wind was then to our backs, and it was a case of plodding through it, until we got onto the grassy trail part of the run and then back onto the prom and the finishing line.

I forgot to turn my watch off :o but I know I did see 5.3 miles at 51.?? not far from the finish. Official chip time should be available soon. It was a slow one, but on the positive side, I had no pain in my hip during or after it! Yay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 the underdog

That's great, I hope that's me next month, can't wait to get back into it, I got misunderstood in my earlier thread today & it got locked down, Ive had medical advice coming out my ears....Unfortunatly physios & doctors can't relate to running injurys the same as somebody that's gone through it, I feel inspired by your comeback! ....I too feel like my fitness has gone to an altime low...but the main thing is to get started again. Remember folks fittness is a stage you pass through on the way to becoming a runner.

Thanks the underdog :) I hope you will be back out on the roads soon, just ease yourself into it, once you get the ok from your physio. Fingers crossed for you!

Wed 29/12 - 6.05 miles in 55.24 mins. Again I found this quite tough going, and the 4 hills en-route nearly killed me :o Thigh felt a bit niggley from mile 5, but probably nothing to worry about, as I haven't run up a hill two months. Did some gentle stretching afterwards and iced it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great to see you back on the logs and running again. You'll regain your fitness in no time but take it handy. What races are you aiming for or are you just going to enjoy being back for a while?

Cheers shaz :) Delighted to be back moving again! I don't have any immediate plans, I'm just going to take it handy for the next while. I might do the Dungarvan 10 on 30/01 but it won't be a pb.

I'd like to give the Ballycotton 10 a good lash early March though.

You're in flying form, and well on track for Barca!

Fri 31/12 - 4.3 miles in 39.35 mins. Thigh/groin a bit tender, but I'm hoping it just the body adjusting to running after the rest. Still finding it tough, but I'm enjoying being back out on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Best of luck with the new log RubyK. Good to see you're back at it. Take it handy and enjoy!

Cheers Emer911!

Sun 02/01 - 5.12 miles in 46.21 mins. I found it slightly less tough going than the recent runs - woo hoo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck with the new log and goals. Hopefully injury will stay at bay and fitness levels will shoot back up in no time! :)

Thanks clara, fingers crossed that's how it will go ;) Best of luck with the Conn plan, you sound focused and raring to go! I'd love to do it, maybe some year.

Mon 03/01 - 6.02 miles 54.30 mins, my first back to back runs since early October! Went well enough. Lungs still struggling up the hills, but I feel I'm slowly getting somewhere. Thigh a tiny bit tender, but all in all things are looking up!

With all the madness/rushing around before Christmas, I couldn't remember if I had posted out my application for the Dungarvan 10, but I noticed earlier today, that they cashed a cheque of mine. 3 weeks this Sunday. I hope I'll be able for it. See what not running does to you, it makes you forgetful :oand cranky!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck with the log and the goals for 2011. Glad to see you back out running again!

Wed 05/01 - 6.4 miles in 59.45 mins - ok that's not my fastest run ever, but by God it was the most enjoyable run I've had in months! Lungs felt much stronger than recently. Upper thigh still a bit tight, I'd say it's 90%. Can't wait for the day it's 100% :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

RubyK wrote: »
    Wed 05/01 - 6.4 miles in 59.45 mins - ok that's not my fastest run ever, but by God it was the most enjoyable run I've had in months! Lungs felt much stronger than recently. Upper thigh still a bit tight, I'd say it's 90%. Can't wait for the day it's 100% :)

LOve those days when run feels good!

RubyK wrote: »

...and she's back :D. Nice going!

shazkea wrote: »
    ...and she's back :D. Nice going!

Thanks shaz, not quite there yet, but I'm enjoying the journey ;)

Thurs 06/01 - 4.27 miles in 39.30 mins. Took a handier route this evening, just the one decent hill to be tackled at mile 3 to see how the leg felt, and it felt ok! Happy with the progress being made. Fitness feels like its coming back. The plan is to do 8 miles on Saturday, and I will make a decision on the Dugarvan 10 after that.

Sat 08/01 - the plan was to do a handy 8 miles , but I was enjoying it so much I did 10 :) Lovely morning, when everything felt right, including my gammy leg! 10 miles 1.29.39 mins. Happy with that. I'd love to do the Waterford half, but I think that might be pushing things a bit.

Mon 10/01 - 6.12 miles in 55.39 mins. I was wrecked tired and really had to force myself out the door this evening. Wasn't as enjoyable as my last couple of runs but not the worst either.

Tues 11/01 - 5.10 miles in 45.18 mins. At mile 2 my legs got really really tired, and that finished any hopes of doing the Waterford half on Saturday. They loosened up again by mile 4, and I enjoyed the last 1.10 home.

Wed 12/01 - Group interval session on the track. It was my first experience of these, and I enjoyed it. Nice friendly crowd there. We did 1x800's and the rest were 400's. I don't know what the times were :o but we covered 3.5 miles.

• Advertisement

Great running! No chance of doing Waterford? Your times are very very good in training.

Hey jcsmum, I've decided to knock all thoughts of the half, it's just a step too far at the moment I think. Legs a bit tired today after 3 back to back sessions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Pity you won't make it but there'll be plenty more. You're right to listen your body! Enjoy your long run anyway. If we're going to have to brave the southern elements this weekend then you better not back out!:)

claralara wrote: »
    Pity you won't make it but there'll be plenty more. You're right to listen your body! Enjoy your long run anyway. If we're going to have to brave the southern elements this weekend then you better not back out!:)

I am a bit disappointed, but you are right, have to listen to the body!

I'll be doing my run this evening, in the calm before the storm :pac:!

Fri 14/01 - 11.4 miles on Friday evening. Longest run in ages, but both legs and knees were very niggly.

Sun 16/01 - early morning run of 4.41 miles in 40.30 mins. Horrendous run. One of the worst ever. Stomach felt sick after 1 mile and I found it a real struggle to get home. But on a positive note, no niggles whatsoever.

Good run on Friday and glad to hear niggles are on the decrease.

Cheers for the directions to RSC; small favour for next run in that direction though...give us some sun please :)

shazkea wrote: »
    Cheers for the directions to RSC; small favour for next run in that direction though...give us some sun please :)

They were savage conditions alright shaz! Fair play to all of you who battled through it :)

Thanks for all the touristy recommendations. However, the mini farm at Fenor was closed - shame on you for not posting it's opening hours! :rolleyes::D

Went to the beach at Annestown yesterday - actually managed to climb up one of the cliffs! Then headed over to Tramore. Was kicking myself that I hadn't asked you for a pub recommendation there for lunch. Ate in the Esquire which was lovely!

Glad you're back to form on running yourself - niggle free!

That's a pity about the mini farm jcsmum! I'll make sure I'm properly informed as to all opening times, for your next visit to the South East ;) I'd have recommended the Esquire or Raglin Road (next door, same chef!) for lunch. Glad you enjoyed it.

Mon 17/01 - 6.35 miles in 57.33 mins. A lovely calm crisp evening out there and I really enjoyed it, though the hills between mile 4 and 5.5 were tough. And the best thing of all, there were no niggles, YAY!

• Advertisement

Tues 18/01 - 6.35 miles in 57.23 mins. Pacing wasn't the best, felt a bit burnt out at mile 4, slowed it down, and then plodded on home from there.

Wed 19/01 am - 1 mile run on the beach, with the dog. Gorgeous morning for it.

Wed 19/01 pm - track session. 2 laps warm up, 10x400's the last couple nearly killed me, 3 laps cool down. Felt the middle of my right thigh getting a bit tight on the 2nd last lap, but I'm putting it down to not having run like that since I was a teenager :o

Thurs 20/01 - Decided to give the hills a break, and headed to the beach instead - 4.5 miles. Right thigh a bit stiff and sore, but it loosened up after 5 mins, and I really enjoyed the morning run.

Rest day today, and hope to be good to go for tomorrows planned 12-13 miles.

Advertisement