Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sat 08/10 - LSR. It was a much warmer morning that I expected, and was sweating wayyyy too much, too early. Mile 1 - 4 were awful, my legs felt like they were going to seize up. Mile 5 (water) went much better, and all was ok, til mile 10.5 when the legs seized again. Stopped to stretch and got moving again, but it wasn't pleasant. 13.52 miles avg 9.08 pace.

Both hips very niggley for the rest of the day.

Sun 09/10 - I was a bit worried about the niggles, so took the dog to the beach and we did an easy run/walk for 30 mins. No niggles.

Chalking Saturday down to one of those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Sorry to hear about the OH, its tough.

Congrats on hitting the 1,000 miles for the year. Given the various niggles its a good achievement.

(Now if only I had another 300 miles in the bag:rolleyes:)

Thanks slowsteady :) You're right on track again for the 31st. Nice going with getting in another 20 done. Great confidence booster.

11/10 - A mental struggle to get out the door this evening, but knew I had to do it. No niggles TG, but it wasn't really that enjoyable, my heart and head just weren't in it :o 6.05 miles avg 8.24 pace with 5*125 meter strides.

The plan for the rest of the week is a couple of easy runs plus pilates, and then it's The Run for Life 10 miler on Sunday.

RubyK wrote: »
    Thanks slowsteady :) You're right on track again for the 31st. Nice going with getting in another 20 done. Great confidence booster.

The plan for the rest of the week is a couple of easy runs plus pilates, and then it's The Run for Life 10 miler on Sunday.

Still not happy as cannot pick up the pace at all, no tempo work done since July but we live in hope.

Fighting with myself at the moment, want to do the Run for Life on Sunday, but should go long. Also, I know I will push it if I go in the race (no mental strength at all:p) Will decide later in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sorry to hear about your OH, that's very tough.
    Best of luck at the 10 miler

• Advertisement

Wed 12/10 - misjudged how quickly the dusk was setting in, and shouldn't have picked the country route. 5.15 miles avg 8.38 pace. It was supposed to feel easy, it didn't. Lots of pre-race niggles ect. Garmin acting up :mad:

Thurs 13/10 - lovely early morning trot on the beach with the dog. Warm, clear and calm.

pm - pilates. Good class, lots of stretching of problem areas.

I'll do a few easy miles tonight and then rest tomorrow ahead of Sundays 10 miler, for which I do not feel at all fresh and ready for :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

I'll do a few easy miles tonight and then rest tomorrow ahead of Sundays 10 miler, for which I do not feel at all fresh and ready for :rolleyes:.

Best of luck on Sunday Rubyk. I really hope you have one of those races where you find your love of running again, where everything falls into place and you forget all your stress and worries from recent days.

Bally8 wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday Rubyk. I really hope you have one of those races where you find your love of running again, where everything falls into place and you forget all your stress and worries from recent days.

Cheers for that Bally8 - here's hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck with the 10 miler on Sunday, hope all goes well.

Good luck also.

What pace have you in mind, I suspect a bit like me you might be making it up as you go?

• Advertisement

slowsteady wrote: »
    What pace have you in mind, I suspect a bit like me you might be making it up as you go?

Yeah pretty much! I'll take it handy up to Bolands, and then see if I can start to push on a bit. Kind of getting nervous about it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Good luck tomorrow Ruby, you're well due a good race so fingers crossed.

Fri 14/10 - a handy 4.35 miles in the rain.

Sun 15/10 - Run for Life. I felt crap on Saturday, and had a bad sleep that night (running nightmares). I was delighted to see the sun shining and the wind light. Nerves were kicking in big time, and my head was all over the shop. I parked up and jogged down to the startline. I found it unexpectedly warm :eek: and knew it was going to be tough going, as it's an awful draggy course. 12 o'clock and off we set. Mile 1 went ok. I tried to keep the pace steady. Mile 2 and the start of the drags. Mile 2.5 legs started to go and felt like they belonged to someone else. Panic stations. Mile 3, 4, 5 all equally horrible. Mile 6 sweating like good-oh, trying to keep the head together. From mile 7 onwards I started to feel a bit better so pushed a bit. At Mile 9, went for it. Mile 10 - relief the pain was over. Thought I'd puke, but thankfully didn't. A really horrible run, that has battered my confidence. It's the hardest 10 miler I've ever done, and only for it's for such a good cause, I wouldn't ever consider doing it again. 10 miles in 84.37 mins.

1,700 runners and over €270,000 raised for the Solas Cetre. There was lots of support en-route, and a great atmosphere in the park for the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Ahh Ruby well done for getting out and doing it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Nules10 wrote: »
    Ahh Ruby well done for getting out and doing it. :)

Well done!

Well done on getting around, the hills are tough on that course. I had the advantage I'd say in that I have trained on the route a couple of times in the past few weeks, it helped with the pacing and the drag on the legs.

The positives are that you finished with no injuries and were able to dig in when needed.

The half to Tramore in 6 weeks will be easy by comparison - no hills:D

Yikes that does not sound like a fun race. As slowsteady says Waterford will be nothing in comparison to it. Good on you for getting through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done, sounds like a tough course for your first race back. Next one will be easier :D

Thanks for the kind words :)

I'm feeling better about it now, and the big plus is that I got through it without aggrevating anything!

24/10 - took this as a rest day.

25/10 - headed out for a nice few miles, nothing taxing. God it was cold, but it nice all the same. 6.55 miles avg 9.02 mins.

26/10 - went back to the track, but there was no interval session. Instead we were brought on the new winter league route. It's much better than the last couple of years battling with Matties Hill, twice.
    Really enjoyed this. With a few laps of the track afterwards, 5.20 miles covered.

Positivity returns.

Thurs 20/10 - Went to the park on my lunch break. 8 laps - 5.01 miles avg 8.52 pace. Felt harder than it should have.

pm - Pilates class. Torture.

Fri 21/10 - rest day.

Sat 22/10 - hoped to get out before the rain, and I did, for 1 mile. Despite the conditions, I really enjoyed this. 13.27 miles avg 9.15 pace.

Sun 23/10 - another wet day, another enjoyable run. An easy 5.05 miles avg 9.21 pace.

After yesterdays run, by the afternoon I felt a dull ache in the right side on the sole of my foot. It's still there today. Don't know whether it's something to worry about or not :confused:

• Advertisement

Tues 25/10 - foot was feeling better, so headed out for an evening run. 6.52 miles avg 8.28 pace. Foot a little achey around mile 3 but fine finishing. Once I took my runner off though, it got quite sore. Iced it and used voltrol. From google, I fear it might be the start of Plantar Fasciitis :( Right quad also a bit achey, so I guess it means another trip to the physio.

Wed 26/10 - chanced the foot by heading to the track. Changed my runners from Triax back to Mizunos. We did a mixture of drills, plus 100 meter sprints. Enjoyed the session. Foot co-operated for the most of it, but sore again once the runners came off. Quad still niggling. 3.4 miles covered.

Thurs 27/10 - it was such a lovely evening I decided to do a few miles on the back strand. Plan was to turn back after 2 miles, but due to passing a few young fellas who intimidated me by shouting & coming after me, I ended up running right around the back of the sandhills, which I really didn't want to, due to the very soft sand and my bogey body niggles. Got to the back of the strand, but was cut off with the incoming tide so I had to run back, the way I came. Spotted the fellas again, more shouting and following, but they didn't catch up with me. I'm probably just a wus, but they un-nerved me.

6.05 mils avg 9.27 pace. Quad felt ok afterwards, and the foot not too bad either. The change of runners seems to have helped.

Physio tonight, to see what he thinks.

Thankfully a fellow log that is not full of taper madness :D

BTW Go on, go on, go on...you know you want to sign up for Conn full

Before you ask, no I'm not daft enough to do that...

Fri 28/10 - Went to the physio about the quad. It was pretty tight, so he worked on it, a lot. Told me not to run for 48 hrs, and showed me extra stretches to do.

Sat 29/10 - Quad was very sore, so a good job I spent most of the day in work.

Sun 30/10 - Walked around Cork, enjoying the atmosphere in the City for the Jazz festival. Awful weather but it was nice to get away for a day/night.

Mon 31/10 - After watching the coverage of DCM on TV, I had no problem throwing on the gear and heading off in the rain for a few miles. 6.22 miles avg 8.54 pace. Quad felt 100% fine during/after.

Tues 01/11 - Another enjoyable run. 6.40 miles avg 8.53 pace.

Wed 02/11 - Interval session. Not ideal - on my own, on around the GAA grounds on a wet and windy evening. Ran the lenghts and recovered on the widths. 5.03 miles covered with warm up/cool down. Not the best speed session, but better than nowt.

Thurs 03/11 - pilates. Another tough but good class. Seems to be doing the trick with keeping my lower back loosened up.

Fri 04/11 - rest day.

Sat 05/11 - a perfect morning for a run - crisp and calm. A hilly 12.11 miles avg pace 9.13 miles.

Sun 06/11 - Recovery run 4.76 miles avg 9.19 pace. Another perfect morning, but it didn't feel as easy as it should have.

Just shy of 35 miles for the week. Happy enough with that, but I do need to start speeding up. 5 weeks til the Waterford half :eek:

Thurs 03/11 - pilates. Another tough but good class. Seems to be doing the trick with keeping my lower back loosened up.

Fri 04/11 - rest day.

Sat 05/11 - a perfect morning for a run - crisp and calm. A hilly 12.11 miles avg pace 9.13 miles.

Sun 06/11 - Recovery run 4.76 miles avg 9.19 pace. Another perfect morning, but it didn't feel as easy as it should have.

Just shy of 35 miles for the week. Happy enough with that, but I do need to start speeding up. 5 weeks til the Waterford half :eek:
    Great you are doing it too. Are you aimimg for a time?

Nules10 wrote: »
    Great you are doing it too. Are you aimimg for a time?

Thanks Nules10 - 3rd time lucky for me trying to get to the startline of this ;) Not sure what to aim for yet. What about yourself?

Mon 07/11 - mental battle to get out the door, but it wasn't too bad after all. 6.05 miles avg 8.41 pace.

Wed 09/11 - track session. 5.20 miles covered. Avg 8.50 pace.

Me? i am still aiming for sub 2.... yet again :rolleyes: don't hold much hope for this. I trained soooo hard for the Kildare half for sub 2 and got 2:03 and then did the dublin half 2:07 :eek: its slower i am getting :rolleyes: (although in my defense Dublin was with an injury) Ah sure i will get there.... someday :)

Sub 2 will be no probs for you Nules :)

Thurs 10/11 - Heading out to the hilly countryside after work, and I pushed myself to get home before the dusk set in. 5.45 miles avg 8.29 pace.

Home, for an hour and then Pilates. Instructor attended a new workshop last weekend, so we were treated to a class spent all on our feet, rather than matt work. I regretted doing the 5 miler, my legs were seriously feeling it. One tough class. Have to say the instrutor is brill.

• Advertisement

Sat 12/11 - Perfect morning for a run. Took in the Waterford half route, in reverse. All felt good for the first 10 miles, then started to struggle a bit before picking up slightly, 13.20 miles avg 8.57 pace.

Mon 14/11 - Pyramid session on the track. 4.20 miles covered. Tough going. I've a lot of work to do :o

Advertisement