Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

RubyK wrote: »
    Sat 12/11 - Perfect morning for a run. Took in the Waterford half route, in reverse. All felt good for the first 10 miles, then started to struggle a bit before picking up slightly, 13.20 miles avg 8.57 pace.

Mon 14/11 - Pyramid session on the track. 4.20 miles covered. Tough going. I've a lot of work to do :o

Aww give us a loan of that pace for the Waterford half. Great going there ruby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Nules10 wrote: »
    Aww give us a loan of that pace for the Waterford half. Great going there ruby :)

You're going to smash that sub2 Nules, no bother to you ;)

Tues 15/11 - lovely cool evening for a run. 6.05 miles avg 8.57. Lots of niggles after yesterdays track session :(

Wed 16/11 - headed to the beach for a change of scenery. Both quads and hip still sore. 5.10 miles avg 9.15.

Thurs 17/11 am - Shouldn't have bothered with this. The wind was so strong that by mile 2.5 I was spent, and even with the wind to my back for the last half, I couldn't push the speed up much, I was wrecked. 5.15 miles avg 9.12. On a more positive note, the legs felt much better.

pm - Pilates class. Lots of back strengthening work. Really enjoyed it.

Sat 19/11 - LSR. Awful first couple of miles, then it fell into place from mile 3 - 8 but the legs went to pot shortly before mile 9. Stopped stretched and had some water. Got going again and had a good last 4 miles in the p*ssing rain. 13.15 miles avg 9.03 pace.

Mon 21/11 - Pyramid session. 200's, 400's 600's and 800's. Found it very tough going. With warm up/cool down 5.70 miles covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

You're tipping away there nicely Ruby. Sounds like a tough but good LSR at the weekend.:) Are you targetting the Waterford Half?

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    You're tipping away there nicely Ruby. Sounds like a tough but good LSR at the weekend.:) Are you targetting the Waterford Half?

Thanks clara, tipping along, some days better than others ;)

I'm still don't know what I'm doing for the half - I seem to change my mind every day on it.

You are putting in great training, and are powering away! You have great dedication, fair play.

Tues 22/11 - Down to the back strand while waiting for the dog to get finished at the groomers. 5 very slow miles. Left knee didn't like the soft sand.

Thurs 24/11 - am - headed off early, against the horrible wind for the first 2.5 miles. I think this has to be my worst training run ever. Legs had no strength, arms felt like lead weights. Head asking why I bother with this lark, surely there's a better hobby for me out there. Had to stop numerous times :confused: 5.15 miles avg 9.09. - not including time spent in ditches. Running mojo has hit rock bottom.

pm - pilates. Jebas my limbs were in bits during this.

Lower back very stiff this morning after it.

Mon 21/11 - Pyramid session. 200's, 400's 600's and 800's. Found it very tough going. With warm up/cool down 5.70 miles covered.
    Those sessions sound savage. Must look into them. As re the running mojo... it always seems to go missing over the winter months, can be so hard to get out. Keep plugging away won't be long before the evenings will be getting bright again :) (ok it will be a while but there is light at the end of the tunnel, just think of all the choc you can consume over xmas)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Can't believe you're not a definite for the half with those times. Even your so-called poor runs are brilliant.

just think of all the crisps you can consume over xmas)

;)
    jcsmum wrote: »
    Can't believe you're not a definite for the half with those times.

I'll be doing it alright, but I think it'll be a case of a training run.

Sat 26/11 - Took in the half route again, in reverse. Hips were still stiff from pilates. First 3 miles were uneventful, and then the legs went weak at mile 4, but took a glucose sweet and that seemed to help. Wind was to my back for the first 7 miles, so I knew that it was going to be a tough 2nd half. Felt I was barely moving at times, very frustrating running in that kind of wind. A mixed run mentally and physically. 15.50 miles avg 9.17 pace.

Sun 27/11 - Went for a nice morning run on the beach. Legs felt much looser than yesterday. Quite an enjoyable run. 5.02 miles avg 9.20 pace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

;)

I'll be doing it alright, but I think it'll be a case of a training run.

Sat 26/11 - Took in the half route again, in reverse. Hips were still stiff from pilates. First 3 miles were uneventful, and then the legs went weak at mile 4, but took a glucose sweet and that seemed to help. Wind was to my back for the first 7 miles, so I knew that it was going to be a tough 2nd half. Felt I was barely moving at times, very frustrating running in that kind of wind. A mixed run mentally and physically. 15.50 miles avg 9.17 pace.

Sun 27/11 - Went for a nice morning run on the beach. Legs felt much looser than yesterday. Quite an enjoyable run. 5.02 miles avg 9.20 pace.

Good god, your definition of barely moving differs alot from mine :eek::eek:

Nice running

shazkea wrote: »
    Nice running

Oh it wasn't pretty shaz, believe me :o

Mon 28/11 - track session. A combination of drills and 200's, on a miserable night. 4 miles covered.

Tues 29/11 - Lovely crisp evening for a run. 6.05 miles avg 8.44 pace. A really enjoyable run.

Wed 30/11 - What a difference a day makes. A horrible morning for a run. Wet and very wild. 5.60 miles avg 9.30 pace. An awful run :(

Thur 01/12 - Up and out early, for another slog in the wind. 5.15 miles avg 9.08 pace. PM - pilates. Sweet devine mercy. When is this going to get any easier? Felt physically sick.

Fri 02/12 - Quads, hips, glutes and core all stiff today. Stomach sick. No running.

Sat 03/12 - Still feeling dodgy, I reluctantly headed out. Went better than expected, 12.10 hilly miles avg 9.11 pace.

Sun 04/12 - No running.

Mon 05/12 - Track session. Warm up, drills, 200's 300's and 400's covered. 4 miles covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Whats the deal Rubyk are you running the waterford half at the weekend?

tunguska wrote: »
    Whats the deal Rubyk are you running the waterford half at the weekend?

I am indeed tunguska. Not feeling very confident, but sure I will do it anyway. What about yourself? Are you over the injury?

Tues 06/12 - An easy few miles after work. 5.40 miles avg 9.01 pace.

Wed 07/12 - A long stressful day in Dublin. Too wrecked to do anything once I got home.

Thurs 08/12 - A very slow 4.12 miles too keep the legs ticking over. A few niggles and nerves set in for Satudays half - nothing new there :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Best of luck tomorrow Ruby and say hello to the ould fella with the beer can for me (can't rem his name!) :D

shazkea wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow Ruby and say hello to the ould fella with the beer can for me (can't rem his name!) :D

Thanks Shaz!

Tawdy Morrissey with the flags and beer cans! Ah he's gas, always gives me a few words of encouragement as I plod past him on a Saturday morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Good luck tomorrow, enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Good luck for Waterford, enjoy it :)!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck to you too tomorrow. I wasn't sure if you were running or not. You have the home advantage so I'm sure you'll do great. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck Rubyk :)

Beat of luck tomorrow ruby you are in great form lately. You will
    Do a cracking job. Might get to meet you afterwards too :)

Cheers for all the best wishes :) Just collected my number, nerves have well and truely kicked in.

Might get to meet you afterwards too :)

I hope so Nules10, your co-pilot pm'd me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

a gentle breeze to Tramore and a gale back in will do nicely!

If it is the other way round - hide behind the pacers:)

Seriously, good luck tomorrow should be a good day.

slowsteady wrote: »
    a gentle breeze to Tramore and a gale back in will do nicely!

If it is the other way round - hide behind the pacers:)

Seriously, good luck tomorrow should be a good day.

Thanks slowsteady, I'd say you'll run a great race today. Enjoy :)

Not a puff of wind out there at the moment. Crisp and calm, pretty perfect conditions.

Now to decide on a plan :eek::confused::o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Best of luck Rubyk. I wont be there myself, injury is only starting to come around. Looks perfect out there so give it socks.

tunguska wrote: »
    Best of luck Rubyk. I wont be there myself, injury is only starting to come around

Sorry to hear you are still out of action. Roll on 2012 - the year of injury free running :)

Sat 10/12 - I was more nervous than usual about this. Although I've run most of the route in training, I've never done the offical race. Got to the RSC in plenty of time (well it is only 10 min drive from home :pac:), and met jcsmum, Nules10 and Rainbow Kirby. After a bit of a chat, we went our seperate ways, and I attempted to do a few warm up laps, but realised everyone was making their way to the start, so abandoned the track and jogged to Woodies. The start was very disorgainsed, and like everyone else, I just went with the flow. I was conscious of keeping the pace down for the first few miles, but I was being passed out left right and centre for the first mile, which was disheartening. Don't remember ever being passed out so much in a race. Mile 2 and I settled in behind the 1.50 pacers, and hoped to God I could hang onto them. Out on the Tramore Road, tipping away nicely, and a poor guy right infront of me tripped on a cats eye - and I nearly ended up on top of him :o. Got to mile 4 and the first water station, which was quite disorganised. Had to stop and look for water. Lost a good bit of ground on the pacers, so had to leg it to catch up with them. Still feeling ok at the half way point, so I decided to push on a bit. Got a few shouts of support from locals in cars, which helped me. Took a gel at mile 9. All going well, but at mile 11 I start to feel the legs get tired and the mind wander. Took a glucose sweet, and lost filling for it :( Panic, and thoughts of a trip to the dentist meant I forgot all about the tired legs. Picked the pace up, just wanting to get to the finish line. Managed a sprint (for me) finish, and a time of 1 hr 46 mins 56 secs. A 2 min 34 sec pb from KK half Sept 2010. I was not expecting that :D

Wow, that was a bit long winded for a Monday morning :o

Sun 11/12 - went to the beach of an early morning recovery run. Legs and back a little bit stiff, but no damage seems to have been done, which was my main aim for the half. 4.10 miles, slowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Stuck with 1:50 pacers to halfway and came in sub-1:47? Very impressive.

Well done, good PB to end the year and set you up nicely for 2012.

Advertisement