Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats, that's a great run. Well done on the pb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Again, great run. No need for nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

jcsmum wrote: »
    Again, great run. No need for nerves!
    +1 you did great. many more to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great running Ruby, well done

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just catching up now Ruby. Great running, great to PB well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Cheers lads :)

Mon 12/12 - Forced myself out the door and off to the track, only to discover it was cancelled due to the weather, so back home for a few slow miles on the road. 4.06 miles avg 9.22 pace. Probably a blessing that the speed session was cancelled, knee and hamstring both a bit niggly, and overall body is still tired.

Tues 13/12 - Still tired, and right knee a bit tender, so no running done.

Wed 14/12 - An early run 6.02 miles avg 9.04 pace. Ughh, these up and straight out the door runs don't suit me at all. Tired and weak from mile 4 onwards. Bloody freezin too. The walk afterwards with the dog was more miserable :( though she seems to love this cold weather.

Thurs 15/12 - I left it a bit later to head out this morning. Much more enjoyable run in the countryside, and not as cold as yesterday. 5.03 miles avg 8.46 pace.

pm - pilates - last class for 2011. Definitely going to keep it up in 2012.

Fri 16/12 - dinner & drinks so no running done.

Sat 17/12 - out a bit later than usual for a Saturday, and it wasn't as tough as I expected 15 miles avg 9 min pace. A perfect morning to run, cold and calm.

Mon 19/12 - Track session. Mixture of different drills, and then 400's. Good session.

Tues 20/12 - Got out of work early enough to head to the beach. Took the trail route and plodded around the sandhills. It was slow, but enjoyable. 5.01 miles avg 9.27 pace.

Wed 21/12 - I know i'll be stuck for time on Saturday, so decided to do my longer run today. Full of enthusiasm to take on the country hills, off I set. Mile 1 and feeling a bit uncomfortable. Mile 2 sweating :eek: plodded onto Mile 5 and took some water. Felt better, but got to mile 9 and I'm sweating madly and freezing :confused: Another horrible 5 miles endured before falling in the front door. A horribly uncomfortable run. 14.15 miles avg 9.12 pace. Took me hours and layers of clothes to warm up again.

Good pace though and also on the plus side it's done and dusted.

• Advertisement

Thur 22/12 - A wet and windy evening out there, and found it tough going. 5.36 miles avg 9.06.

Sat 24/12 - Managed to get out for a quick trot by noon. Another windy day, 6.03 miles avg 8.37. Enjoyable.

Mon 26/12 - Wasn't sure how this run would go after the previous days over indulgence. Luckily it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. 6.45 miles avg 8.34 pace.

Hope to get out for a few easy miles later. Baldy Man beach run tomorrow. The wind is forcast to be savage - can't wait :eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Congrats on a good run, you must have passed my sad carcass somewhere on the backstrand (along with many others:p).

Well done, should set you up nicely for 2012.

Wed 28/12 Baldy Man Race

My third time doing this race, but I regularly run the route in training, so knew all too well what lay ahead. Garmin wouldn't pick up a signal for at least 3 1/2 mins, so didn't know what kind of time my 1st mile was. Second mile, on the hard sand/water pools, was 7.38 pace. Felt good, but the wind was blowing me down the beach, so I knew that pace and feeling would change for the return leg. Got to the back of the sandhills and the soft sand was a killer. Turned onto the backstrand and faced the wind. It was awful, and kept catching my breath. Mile 3 registered at 9.18 :eek: Dug in, and just kept plodding along, until we were back on the trail. Mile 4 and 5 improved on pace, although I was really finding it really tough. Thought I'd never get to the end of the prom. Relief to get over the finish line in 45.08 - a pb for me by over 6 mins. Plus a prize in the F35 category :D which had me laughing! Never imagined I'd ever win anything in a race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You're never old enough to be in that category :eek:

You're never old enough to be in that category :eek:

You must have me mistaken with someone else RQ ;)

Thurs 29/12 - feeling lazy today, and put this off for hours. The wind outside didn't help either. Eventually 5.05 miles covered avg 8.43 pace. Legs felt good.

Well done on the PB. Great finish to the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

RubyK wrote: »
    Wed 28/12 Baldy Man Race

My third time doing this race, but I regularly run the route in training, so knew all too well what lay ahead. Garmin wouldn't pick up a signal for at least 3 1/2 mins, so didn't know what kind of time my 1st mile was. Second mile, on the hard sand/water pools, was 7.38 pace. Felt good, but the wind was blowing me down the beach, so I knew that pace and feeling would change for the return leg. Got to the back of the sandhills and the soft sand was a killer. Turned onto the backstrand and faced the wind. It was awful, and kept catching my breath. Mile 3 registered at 9.18 :eek: Dug in, and just kept plodding along, until we were back on the trail. Mile 4 and 5 improved on pace, although I was really finding it really tough. Thought I'd never get to the end of the prom. Relief to get over the finish line in 45.08 - a pb for me by over 6 mins. Plus a prize in the F35 category :D which had me laughing! Never imagined I'd ever win anything in a race.

Great running Ruby and congrats on the prize - the first of many I don't doubt!

Well done on the pb Ruby, and the prize. That sounded like a tough race with the wind blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SAHMOM

Hope I'm posting on the right thread :rolleyes: I'm new plus there were way too many posts to read :D......
    I caught the running bug last year when I walked the Flora Mini Marathon I signed up for a 10k run for Breast Cancer shortly after and finished it in 1hr 15mins, Super proud of myself because I didn't do much training.
    New Years Res is to start running properly and sign up for as many races as I can. I want to lose weight and get fitter and I think the races will give me a goal to work upon (I don't have much will power)
    Has anyone got any tips on how I can improve on fittness, times etc.
    Be much appricated :)

SAHMOM wrote: »
    Hope I'm posting on the right thread :rolleyes: I'm new plus there were way too many posts to read :D......
    I caught the running bug last year when I walked the Flora Mini Marathon I signed up for a 10k run for Breast Cancer shortly after and finished it in 1hr 15mins, Super proud of myself because I didn't do much training.
    New Years Res is to start running properly and sign up for as many races as I can. I want to lose weight and get fitter and I think the races will give me a goal to work upon (I don't have much will power)
    Has anyone got any tips on how I can improve on fittness, times etc.
    Be much appricated :)

Hi Sahmom, have a read of this thread, it should be of help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SAHMOM

DigiJem wrote: »
    Hi Sahmom, have a read of this thread, it should be of help.

runrabbit wrote: »
    congrats on the prize - the first of many I don't doubt!

Not sure about that runrabbit :o :pac:

SAHMOM - that link DigiJem posted should give you lots of info. Best of luck with your training and plans for 2012. It doesn't take long before your hooked :)

Fri 30/12 - LSR, wasn't sure of the distance I'd do, just headed out the door and hoped for the best. A miserable wet and windy day, and by mile 7 my mind was playing tricks on me, trying to convience me to do a detour to my parents house and get a lift home. :(Cursed plodded my way along, and felt better by mile 12-ish. Got another 4 done. 16.21 miles avg 9.10 pace.

Sat 31/12 - Recovery run. Was happy to keep it short, as the wind is still hanging around. 3.65 miles avg 9.17 miles.

Roll on 2012 - the year of injury free running for all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

oh wow a win:D Well done RubyK :)

Sun 01/01 - Left the garmin behind and just ran. A lovely morning for a run in the countryside. 6.25 miles covered in I don't know what time.

Mon 02/01 - I headed to the beach and around the sandhills. Didn't expect the wind to be so fierce on the way back. 5.85 miles avg pace 8.52

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Great running ruby and a win whoop whoop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

RubyK wrote: »
    Plus a prize in the F35 category :D which had me laughing! Never imagined I'd ever win anything in a race.

Great stuff RubyK but I hope you realise that you've opened pandora's box by winning a prize. The bar has been set and now You'll turn into a running diva who throws a wobbler every time she comes home empty handed........

Cheers tunguska, and while I'm chuffed with my prize, I am realistic, I was just lucky on the day. There'll be no diva antics on this log, well running ones anyway ;)

Tues 03/01 - Another freezing windy evening. 6.03 miles avg 8.59 pace. Thought it was quicker than that, it certainly felt like it.

Wed 04/01 - The usual early morning walk with the dog turned into a short run instead as the wind was skinning. 1.2 miles. She seemed to really enjoy this, as we usually don't ever run.

pm - I was shattered this evening, so didn't venture out. The guilts are an awful thing.

Thurs 05/01 - Another early run with the dog. 1.2 miles again.

pm - The wind finally died down, thankfully. My left knee has been niggling on and off for the past couple of months. I also smacked it off a chair yesterday, which probably didn't help, and it started bothering me at mile 2, and quite sore on the downhill sections :( 6.01 miles avg 8.50.

Fri 06/01 - day 3 of early morning dog running. Her enthusiasm lasted all of .5 miles :rolleyes: Looks like we are back to walking.

I think I'll take a couple of rest days, to mind the knee. It's probably nothing at all, but I don't want to take any risks with the Dungarvan 10 just 3 weeks away. I think the Mizunos are gone really flat, which mightn't be helping either. Looking foward to trying out the new Brooks, that are on the way :D

Mind yourself. Enjoy the new runners!!

• Advertisement

Took 3 days off, to let the knee settle down.

Mon 09/01 - Track session. A mixture of drills, 300's and 400's. Two weeks since my last track session, and it felt more like 2 months. 4 miles covered. Knee seems ok, just slightly tender afterwards.

Advertisement