Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Mind yourself. Hopefully the 3 days rest did the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

jcsmum wrote: »
    Mind yourself. Hopefully the 3 days rest did the trick.

Fingers crossed jcsmum ;)

Tues 10/01 - An easy few miles last night. Nearly got blown away on the prom :eek:. 6.02 miles avg 9.12.

Knee again just slightly niggly at times, but a lot of foam rolling of IT band afterwards seemed to help. I'll keep the runs easy for the rest of the week.

Wed 11/01 - Reluctantly headed out the door - and it ended up being a really enjoyable run, despite the wind on the prom. 5.03 miles avg 8.39 pace. Knee behaved itself for the most part. Foam rolling afterwards.

Thurs 12/01 - A day off work, so headed down to the beach in the afternoon. It was one of the very rare experiences of running on the beach when there's no wind blowing. It was fab - cool and calm, tide on the way out, so lots of hard sand to enjoy. 5.10 miles avg 8.29 pace. Knee was fine throughout. Lots of foam rolling of the IT Band seems to be working!

Trying to decide what to do about my next marathon Cork vs Waterford :confused:.

Cork pros - Bigger participation, and lots of support en route. Flat enough course. A bit more recovery time for Dublin, than Waterford.

Waterford pros - It's on my doorstep, so no travelling & booking into hotel the night before. Family v excited at being able to come out and support me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

RubyK wrote: »
    Wed 11/01 - Reluctantly headed out the door - and it ended up being a really enjoyable run, despite the wind on the prom. 5.03 miles avg 8.39 pace. Knee behaved itself for the most part. Foam rolling afterwards.

Thurs 12/01 - A day off work, so headed down to the beach in the afternoon. It was one of the very rare experiences of running on the beach when there's no wind blowing. It was fab - cool and calm, tide on the way out, so lots of hard sand to enjoy. 5.10 miles avg 8.29 pace. Knee was fine throughout. Lots of foam rolling of the IT Band seems to be working!

Trying to decide what to do about my next marathon Cork vs Waterford :confused:.

Cork pros - Bigger participation, and lots of support en route. Flat enough course. A bit more recovery time for Dublin, than Waterford.

Waterford pros - It's on my doorstep, so no travelling & booking into hotel the night before. Family v excited at being able to come out and support me :o

Glad the knee is behaving ruby. I am thinking of cork myself for the same reasons as you. Kildare would suit me better but like waterford is probably a bit quiet. But i so get you on the not having to stay over night and having your own bed the night before. I found in DCM that i really needed the support when the going got tough. Good luck with the decision :)

Nules10 wrote: »
    Glad the knee is behaving ruby. I am thinking of cork myself for the same reasons as you. Kildare would suit me better but like waterford is probably a bit quiet. But i so get you on the not having to stay over night and having your own bed the night before. I found in DCM that i really needed the support when the going got tough. Good luck with the decision :)

That's the thing Nules, I find I'm not quite as nervous the night before a race, if I'm in my own staying in my own home :o

It's a tough one alright, and I'm feeling a bit guilty about considering not doing & supporting Waterford. Decisions, decisions.

Dublin is definitely the one I am sure about doing this year. And you are right about the support, it's unreal from start to finish.

• Advertisement

Fri 13/01 - rest day.

Sat 14/01 - LSR. An enjoyable but cold 13.27 miles covered, avg 9.01 pace. Knee a little niggly afterwards. If it continues this week, I'll got see the physio.

Sun 15/01 - another rest day due to sick stomach.

Mon 16/01 - Track session. A mixture of drills, then pyramid of 200's/3/4/500's. 5.70 miles covered.

My new Brooks Adrenalines were waiting for me when I got into work this morning. Looking foward to taking them out for a test run later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Nice session there last night. Hope the niggles in the knee pass although they don’t seem to be holding you back. You’re still getting the miles in sensibly. Enjoy your new runners. I don’t need new ones but the January blues are really kicking in and I think I need to spend some money credit card! :)

Thanks clara, I'm still plodding along, hopefully the new runners will do the trick on the knee ;)
    claralara wrote: »
    I don’t need new ones but the January blues are really kicking in and I think I need to spend some money credit card! :)

I don't know about that, at the rate you are getting the miles in, you could do with a new pair every month or so :D

Tues 17/01 - All set to take my new Brooks Adrenalines out for a run, but they were too small, even though I take a 6 in all other runners :mad: Back into my Triax, and out in the wind/rain. 5.40 miles avg 9.07 pace. All a bit meh.

Wed 18/01 - Off to the beach, to slog around the sandhills. I was feeling slow and awkward, until a random stranger gave me a lovely compliment on my running. She must have guessed from the look on my face I needed a bit of a boost :o 5.85 miles avg 9.04 pace.

Thurs 19/01 - Signed up for the last 4 winter league sessions. Found the wind to be quite strong for the first half, and the route felt tougher than I remembered. 5 miles in 40.01 - my fasted 5 mile ever.

Knee seems to be holding up the last few days. A couple of slight twinges now and again, but nothing major. Foam rolling my IT Band every morning and evening.

• Advertisement

Well done, great running there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

All set to take my new Brooks Adrenalines out for a run, but they were too small, even though I take a 6 in all other runners :mad:
    I had that with Adrenalines too - had to go up half a size. :eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Whats the route for Waterford like elevation wise ruby? marathon coach reckons we can run Rotterdam AND Limerick/Cork and still do well in both:eek:

Waterford looks interesting but may be a bit late in the summer for me. :)

Are you heading to the Enniscorthy 10k? Or the 10 miler on the 1st of April?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Thurs 19/01 - Signed up for the last 4 winter league sessions. Found the wind to be quite strong for the first half, and the route felt tougher than I remembered. 5 miles in 40.01 - my fasted 5 mile ever.

Wind was noticeable for the first time in a few runs alright. Surprised that was a PB, after the Baldyman I would have thought your PB at 5 miles was better than that - potential for another improvement there then:p.

Any target in mind for Dungarvan?

Whats the route for Waterford like elevation wise ruby? marathon coach reckons we can run Rotterdam AND Limerick/Cork and still do well in both:eek:
    I don't think it's up on the website yet. But I think the first 5 or so miles are flat enough. Mile 6 to 12 are a bit of a drag, and there's a nice hill at mile 14. After that it flattens out all the way to Tramore, and mile 21 to the finish, is the half route, along the main Waterford Road, which you know well :)
    Are you heading to the Enniscorthy 10k? Or the 10 miler on the 1st of April?

I won't be able to do the 10K on the 12th Feb. I didn't realise there is a 10 miler in April, so I'll have a look at that one. Thanks for the heads up!

slowsteady wrote: »
    Surprised that was a PB, after the Baldyman I would have thought your PB at 5 miles was better than that - potential for another improvement there then:p.

My pb for 5 miles is from the Dunhill Challange back in Feb 2010. 41 mins 1 sec. It nearly killed me. It was my first, and last 5 mile race.

Any target in mind for Dungarvan?

I don't know slowsteady, I'd love to get under the 80 mins, but I think that's a bit away from me yet. PB is 81.01 from last years Ballycotton 10. Only managed 84.?? at last years Dungarvan 10, coming back from injury. I'll more than likely just show up on Sunday, and see how I feel, and hope for the best :o

what about yourself? Training has been going really well for you. What's the target for Sunday?

Sat 21/01 - LSR. 13.16 miles avg 8.58 pace. Not the best feeling one, but not the worst either. Avg.

Will take this week handy enough, want to be fresh for Dungarvan on Sunday.

what about yourself? Training has been going really well for you. What's the target for Sunday?

Training is going fine but the legs are feeling constantly tired so not sure. Manage to go well enough in the league but feel it afterwards. Somewhere between 75 and 80 maybe? Will rest up this week and see on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck with the race at the weekend, have a sensible week now.* :)

*Must adhere to my own advice!!

Mon 23/01 - Track session. A mixture of drills, then 200's repeats. I really enjoyed this one, I forgot about lifes worries, and just concentrated on running. A great way to escape for 40 mins :)

4.50 miles covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

All set for Dungarvan Ruby? Loved that race last year, it’s a great course.

DigiJem wrote: »
    All set for Dungarvan Ruby? Loved that race last year, it’s a great course.

Yeah Digijem, it's a good one alright. It's my 3rd year running it - I'll be disappointed if I can't beat my previous efforts :pac:

Your training is going superb! I see you are doing a 26 miler at the weekend, that'll see you in great shape for the 50K.

Tues 24/01 - I had company for this one, and I really enjoyed it. Getting tired of lonesome runs, so hopefully this will be a regular Tues thing. 5.70 miles avg 9.30 pace.

Wed 25/01 - A crisis of the four legged kind, so no running.

Thurs 26/01 - Winter League. Plan was to take it handy enough with Sundays race ahead. I find it hard to judge the pace without any watch. First 3 miles I felt great, but then the legs started to give up, and so did my head. Knee twinged along and I felt my form was very awkward :( 5 miles in 39.27 mins. My fastest 5 miles, and I should be happy, but it really wasn't a comfortable run, and my upper back is feeling it today.

I won't run again til Sunday, and see what happens on the day.

Nice 5 miler!!
    Best of luck on Sunday.

A sh*te, judging by the results it wasn't my fastest! It's showing 40.27, not 39.27. I'm 99.9% sure the clock said 45.27 as I crossed the line, on a 6 min handicap.

Ah well, maybe I need to go to specsavers :o

Double checked, and they put me down as starting on 5 min handicap, instead of the 6 I was allocated. So I did do it in 39.27.

Plan was to take it handy enough with Sundays race ahead....

5 miles in 39.27 mins. My fastest 5 miles, and I should be happy, but it really wasn't a comfortable run, and my upper back is feeling it today.

I won't run again til Sunday, and see what happens on the day.

If the back holds up sub-80 should be a cert. Any ambition beyond that?

slowsteady wrote: »
    If the back holds up sub-80 should be a cert. Any ambition beyond that?

Thanks for the vote of confidence ;) TBH, with how I'm feeling today I'll be lucky to get myself a course pb of sub 84! Looking back now, last nights running was pure stupid, so a lesson learned :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Catching up Ruby, congrats on 5 miler time and best of luck for Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck for sunday ruby- great race, I did it last year and loved it (from the back:))

• Advertisement

Thanks for the vote of confidence ;) TBH, with how I'm feeling today I'll be lucky to get myself a course pb of sub 84!

Way to go RubyK!! Sub 77!!! Well done

Advertisement