Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Had a crappy few days Friday & Saturday. Broken sleep/sleep walking/sleep tidying :o and feeling all round crap.

Sun 29/01 - Dungarvan 10 - Woke up feeling a lot better, and headed off to Fungarvan to see what lay ahead. The rain had eased off by the time I parked up, and I did a handy 1 mile warm up, delighed that my back seemed ok. Lined up and tried to keep a sensible pace. All felt good, and I was suprised to see the first mile was 7.49 :eek: much faster than I thought I was moving and had planned. The miles passed by, and I was feeling comfortable in myself. Passed my 5 in 39.10 and 10K in 48.00 - fastest times for me. I started to get a bit nervous passing mile 7, as I wondered if I'd be able to keep up the pace. I found the drag at mile 9 tough going, but happy to be passing people. At the mark for 800 metres to go, I felt my legs really tire and kept telling myself "it's only 2 laps of the track". I felt I was moving in slow motion, and it was a tough slog. Turned out it was my fastest mile at 7.14 mins. Couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the clock at 1.16.5X - put in a real push to get under 1.17. Chip time 1.16.57. A pb from last years Ballycotton 10 of 4 mins 56 secs.

1 mile cool down jog back to the car. Legs tired and the head happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Well done - that's brilliant! You must be delighted! I'll be hoping for similar good-10-mile vibes for Ballycotton!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Well done ruby cracking time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Fair Play Ruby. We must have been running very close together.
    i was at 5m at 39.00, 10k at 47.50 and finish at 1.16.43. Looks like we probably passed each other a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Great pb(s) Ruby, well done :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Brilliant time ruby, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Savage Ruby! Absolutely brilliant running; and well deserved :)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Well done ruby, what a great run!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done, delighted for you!

Thanks for all the nice words :o
    runrabbit wrote: »
    Well done - that's brilliant! You must be delighted! I'll be hoping for similar good-10-mile vibes for Ballycotton!

You'll fly Ballycotton runrabbit, have no doubt about that ;)
    PDCAT wrote: »
    Fair Play Ruby. We must have been running very close together.
    i was at 5m at 39.00, 10k at 47.50 and finish at 1.16.43. Looks like we probably passed each other a few times.

Looks like we were near enough alright PDCAT - congrats on the pb :) Are you going to sign up for the Waterford full? I think the early bird registration ends today.

Mon 30/01 - Decided to pass on the track session, as my left hamstring was feeling tight all day. Went for a nice recovery run in the rain. Was very glad to take it easy, as the legs were tired, and it was so nice to just run without any pressure. 5.40 miles avg 9.44 pace.

Think this will be a week of easy running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

RubyK wrote: »
    Thanks for all the nice words :o

You'll fly Ballycotton runrabbit, have no doubt about that ;)

Looks like we were near enough alright PDCAT - congrats on the pb :) Are you going to sign up for the Waterford full? I think the early bird registration ends today.

Mon 30/01 - Decided to pass on the track session, as my left hamstring was feeling tight all day. Went for a nice recovery run in the rain. Was very glad to take it easy, as the legs were tired, and it was so nice to just run without any pressure. 5.40 miles avg 9.44 pace.

Think this will be a week of easy running.

Ruby - no plans on Waterford Full. Have entered Connemara Half alright. Next run is Portlaoise 5K on paddy's day. Looking at maybe running 5mile/10k run in February. At the moment Amsterdam Marathon in October is what i'm planning, that may change though.

Tues 31/01 - Had company for this one, and we took it nice and easy. 6.20 miles avg 9.30 pace. Legs still feeling Sundays race.

Wed 01/02 - An easy beach run. Boy it was skinning for first half, and really enjoyable for the second half, with the wind to my back and the sun on my face :) 5.15 miles avg 9.03 pace. Hamstring seems to be loosening up again. Lots of foam rolling afterwards.

Thurs 02/02 - Decided to skip the Winter League to mind the legs. Again. A perfect evening for a handy run, icy cold but not a breath of wind. 7.05 miles avg 9.04 pace.

Sat 03/02 - Knew before I left the house that this was going to be a tough one, and it was, both physically and mentally. Didn't enjoy it at all, felt uncomfortable for the most part, and I couldn't wait to get finished. 13.20 miles avg 9.01 pace.

Sun 04/02 - After a late night, this morning run was tough. Just glad to get a few miles done. 4.20 miles avg 9.07 pace.

Mon 06/02 - Track session - warm up, then drills & 200's and a cool down. It never gets any easier :o 4.40 miles covered.

Tues 07/02 - A run with a couple of friends. Legs were really feeling last nights intervals, so it was a relief to run easy. 6.40 miles avg 9.38 pace.

Wed 08/02 - Needed to get the LSR done today instead of Saturday, with Anne Valley Challange on. Legs still a bit achey and tired. Took the first half very easy. Headwind for the second half wasn't pleasant, either was the rain. 14.05 miles avg 9.08 pace.

Thurs 09/02 - chickened out of the Winter League, and opted for an easy few miles on my own. 5.10 miles avg 9.27 pace.

No running this evening. I'll do Anne Valley Challenge tomorrow with a couple of friends - no time in my head, just want to run it and try to enjoy the hills atmosphere.

Sat 11/02 - Anne Valley 5 Mile Challange. I did this two years ago, and despite vowing never to run this race again, as I found it a killer, I was convinced by a couple of friends to do it. First mile is easy to loose the run of yourself :pac: what with it being downhill - 7.16 pace. Slowed it down a bit and got to mile 2 feeling ok, but then the fun and game began on the hills. Mile 3 and 4 were really tough, but new once I got over the hill at mile 4.5 it was down hill from there. Gun time was 38.09 mins, nearly 3 mins better than last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Gun time was 38.09 mins, nearly 3 mins better than last time.

Fantastic PB - congrats!

Sun 12/02 - A nice easy morning recovery run. There was a real touch of spring, such a difference from the previous day. Headed off from the beach around the industrial estate, and back onto the beach, where I startled a couple of skinny dippers, who startled me :eek:. 5.25 miles avg 9.18 pace. Legs felt ok, just a little tired from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Sun 12/02 - A nice easy morning recovery run. There was a real touch of spring, such a difference from the previous day. Headed off from the beach around the industrial estate, and back onto the beach, where I startled a couple of skinny dippers, who startled me :eek:. 5.25 miles avg 9.18 pace. Legs felt ok, just a little tired from yesterday.

Skinny dipping at this time of the year. They must be insane :eek: I would imagine ur pace quickened when u saw them. Nice pb yesterday too ruby well done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done indeed on your PB. I'm feeling so left out of the PB club!! :(

• Advertisement

Congrats, great run and PB.

Nules10 wrote: »
    Skinny dipping at this time of the year. They must be insane :eek: I would imagine ur pace quickened when u saw them.

I know, crazy folk :eek:
    jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm feeling so left out of the PB club!! :(

You'll be racking up the pb's this year, no doubt about that! The only reason I got a pb this weekend, is that it's been two years since I did this 5 mile race :o

Mon 13/02 - Track session. Warm up, drills and 200's. Struggled along, body felt awkward. 4 miles covered.

Tues 14/02 - A lovely spring morning for a nice hilly country run. 9.07 miles avg 8.40 pace. Enjoyable.

I'll be based in Dublin for a few days, so not sure what miles I'll get done before the weekend.

Wed 15/02 - A few unknown miles around Glasnevin, what with my sense of direction not being the best. Off I set, ran into Phibsborgh, back up to Glasnevin, and loop around a block, up to Met Eireann, out to a Texaco garage, and back down and up Iona Road. 6.01 miles avg 9.12 pace.

Thurs 16/02 - Awake well before 6.00am, so headed off for a few easy miles, roughly covering yesterdays route. Legs and head were tired and heavy, but it was a nice to be running somewhere different. 6.55 miles avg 9.30 pace.

Back at home again. Will take today as a rest day.

Wed 15/02 - A few unknown miles around Glasnevin, what with my sense of direction not being the best. Off I set, ran into Phibsborgh, back up to Glasnevin, and loop around a block, up to Met Eireann, out to a Texaco garage, and back down and up Iona Road. 6.01 miles avg 9.12 pace.

Thurs 16/02 - Awake well before 6.00am, so headed off for a few easy miles, roughly covering yesterdays route. Legs and head were tired and heavy, but it was a nice to be running somewhere different. 6.55 miles avg 9.30 pace.

Back at home again. Will take today as a rest day.

Don't blame you for wanting a rest day after running around Dub - these jackeens can be scary people :D. So take your time and recover well from the ordeal ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

shazkea wrote: »
    Don't blame you for wanting a rest day after running around Dub - these jackeens can be scary people :D.

Ah we're lovely really :)

Yeah, I'm worn out after my Dublin experience :pac:

Ah no, I met some really nice kind people, apart from the taxi guy who took Mam and me from Heuston to the Bons Secour. Shame on him for ripping off a woman on the way for her 3rd ankle replacement - which he knew all about, as he will full of bloody questions. Karma!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Congrats on a great race and the PB Ruby. Great to see all going well. Apart from the Dublin experience. That's what you get for hanging out on the wrong side of the River unfortunately… Way nicer over by my digs! ;)

Sat 18/02 - Was stuck for time this morning, and somehow managed to get lost :rolleyes:, so ended up running up & down hills I never knew existed. Yes, I can manage to run around Dublin suburbs without any problems, yet can't find my way home from a nearby country run. Legs heavy and tired. 11.60 miles avg 9.05 pace.

Sun 19/02 - Up early for a nice easy few miles to break in the new runners. Stuck to the main roads :pac: 4.05 miles avg 8.50 pace.

Mon 20/02 - Lower back was a bit sore all day, so opted out of the track session, but my head was melted by evening time, so decided it was best to get myself out for a few head-clearing miles. 5.50 miles avg 8.22 pace. Back and head felt better for it, but it's achey again today. Really need start up the pilates again.

• Advertisement

Tues 21/02 - 6.75 miles with a couple of friends. Enjoyable run, though the wind was a b*tch at times.

Advertisement