Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Wed 22/02 - Another windy evening, and it was chore to get out there, but once I got moving it wasn't so bad. 5.50 miles avg 8.40 pace.

Thurs 23/2 - Really tight for time, but got a few miles in, with the wind for company again. 5.10 miles avg 8.25 pace.

Fri 24/02 - With the slight stretch in the evening, I managed to get to the beach for a change of scenery. Had to race against the tide at mile 3 and 4 before it cut me off. 6 miles avg 9.03 pace. Really enjoyed it.

Sat 25/02 - God-daughters confirmation, so no time for a run.

Sun 26/02 - Up early for this one. I thought it was supposed to be mild :rolleyes: I was bloody freezing for the most part, and the rain from mile 6 didn't help. Couldn't wait to get home and warmed up. 13.12 miles avg 8.48 pace.

Mon 27/02 - Track session. 6x800's. Tough going. 6.05 miles covered with warm up/cool down.

Tues 28/02 - Handy run this evening with a friend. 6.45 miles avg 9.13 pace.

Wed 29/02 - Beach run. Bad decision, wind was deceptively strong and skinning and the soft sand nearly killed me. A horribly uncomfortable run. 6 miles avg 9.15 pace.

Tried out a pilates DVD, and found it to be quite good. Lower back much looser today than it has been in a week or so.

Thurs 01/03 - Easy 5.80 miles avg 9.36 pace, with a couple of friends. Nice run.

Fri 02/03 - Hilly 6.25 miles avg 8.40 pace. Legs a bit stiff afterwards.

Sat 03/03 - Rest day.

Sun 04/03 - 14.25 miles avg 9.07 pace. Found this tough from mile 10 :eek: Freezing, battling headwind, legs tired and my mind playing the doubting game with me.

Mon 05/03 - Track session. 3 x 1600's and 3 x 150's. Found the 1600's tough enough, but nearly died doing the 150's :rolleyes: 6 miles covered with warm up/cool down.

• Advertisement

Tues 06/03 - My friend opted out of this run due to the weather, so I headed out alone. I was surprised to find myself enjoying this one despite the wind and rain, so went a bit further than planned. 7.63 miles avg 8.59 pace.

Wed 07/03 - Headed to the countryside for a hilly afternoon run. The wind for the first 3 miles was brutal, and it was freezing. Not the best feeling run, body felt awkward for the most part. 6.25 miles avg 8.49 pace.

30 min pilates dvd in the evening. Lower back feels the better for it today.

Thurs 08/03 - Such an effort to get out the door for this one :o I was shattered tired. Woke up a bit after a mile or so. 5.50 miles avg 8.53 pace.

Fri 09/03 - Banging headache, no running.

Sat 10/03 - Gorgeous day for a LSR, but a really brutal nights sleep had me feeling wrecked before I even left the house. Had a couple of bottles of water hidden en-route, which I badly needed. Mile 1 - 8 went fine, miles 9 - 11 were pretty grim, but things picked up after that. 16.07 miles avg 9.03 pace.

Sun 11/03 - An early morning recovery run. Legs were tired for the first mile or so. 4.10 miles avg 9.14 pace.

Mon 12/03 - Track session. 13x300's with 100 metre recovery. 6.10 miles covered with warm up/cool down.

Tues 13/03 - Perfect evening for a run, cool and calm. 7.17 miles avg 8.24 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Any target races coming up rubyk?

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »

Hey tunguska, I'm doing the Kildare Half, as part of training for the Waterford marathon on 30th June, main aim is to get through it injury free, and then onwards to the Dublin marathon. How are you getting on? Injury all sorted out?

Wed 14/03 - After a slow sluggish first mile, thing improved a bit, though the legs felt quite achey. 6.10 miles avg 8.57.

Thur 15/03 - Up and our the door at 5.30am, my earliest run ever. It wasn't as awful as I expected. I felt I was flying along at mile 3 until I looked at the garmin and it showed 9.50 pace :o.
    5.20 miles avg 9.30 pace. Legs felt much looser than yesterday. I'd like do early runs a bit more often, but only at recovery pace, I definitely have no speed in me at that hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

You are doing great on your track sessions Ruby. those 1600's sound tough. A 5.30 start :eek: well done only time i see 5.30am starts is if i am coming home from a night out or catching a flight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

RubyK wrote: »
    Hey tunguska, I'm doing the Kildare Half, as part of training for the Waterford marathon on 30th June, main aim is to get through it injury free, and then onwards to the Dublin marathon. How are you getting on? Injury all sorted out?

Wed 14/03 - After a slow sluggish first mile, thing improved a bit, though the legs felt quite achey. 6.10 miles avg 8.57.

Thur 15/03 - Up and our the door at 5.30am, my earliest run ever. It wasn't as awful as I expected. I felt I was flying along at mile 3 until I looked at the garmin and it showed 9.50 pace :o.
    5.20 miles avg 9.30 pace. Legs felt much looser than yesterday. I'd like do early runs a bit more often, but only at recovery pace, I definitely have no speed in me at that hour.

Mother of God, is it dark at 5:30am? Thats hardcore at this time of year. I usually leave the 6am runs til the height of summer.
    Im doing great, better than ever, feeling as strong as a horse and ready to rumble.
    You're doing well with the track sessions, are you following a specific plan or is it a case of doing what the group is doing? Im a big fan of daniels, would be worth your while checking it out.

Nules10 wrote: »
    You are doing great on your track sessions Ruby. those 1600's sound tough. A 5.30 start :eek: well done only time i see 5.30am starts is if i am coming home from a night out or catching a flight ;)

I hate the track session, dread them infact, resent every lap I do, but love the feeling afterwards!

Mother of God, is it dark at 5:30am? Thats hardcore at this time of year. I usually leave the 6am runs til the height of summer.

It's dark alright, but brightens up now about 6.15 or so. Can't imagine it's something I'd do every day, but even once or twice a week as a recovery would be ok. The dog wasn't too happy with me heading out the door without her though.
    Im doing great, better than ever, feeling as strong as a horse and ready to rumble.
    You're doing well with the track sessions, are you following a specific plan or is it a case of doing what the group is doing? Im a big fan of daniels, would be worth your while checking it out.

Great to hear that! You'll be giving Dublin some lash in October so!

With the track session, I just do what I'm told by the coach. The rest of the week, I'm looselyfollowing Hal Higdons Intermediate plan, but like my last marathon plan, kinda making it up as I go along, and depending on how I'm feeling :o I think Daniels might be a little bit out of my league ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I felt I was flying along at mile 3 until I looked at the garmin and it showed 9.50 pace :o.

That happened me this morning, thought I was bombing along and let's say my first mile pace was less than speedy!
    I love the morning running.

I bet you were a lot speedier than me ;) Yeah, it's nice being out first thing, with just the birds singing for company! Fair play to you for consistanly getting out early. Chances are my enthusiasm will be short lived :o

Sat 17/03 - LSR. Headed out early hoping to dodge the showers, and test out my new water belt (thanks RunRabbit, you are a gem :)). Found the first mile a bit strange, but after that, I didn't really notice the belt at all. Great to be able to run where ever I fancied, instead of being stuck to the one route where I usually hide my bottles. All went well until mile 14 when the wheels well and truely fell off. Got soaked to the bone in a heavy shower, my hands were numb, and both quads and calves stiff and awkward. Said it all really, when I was passed by a float heading to the parade. A Forrest Gump float :o It was an ugly shuffle home. Legs quite sore for the rest of the day, but an easy walk with the dog and a hot bath helped. 17.25 miles avg 9.00 pace.

Sun 18/03 - Decided to treat my legs to an easy trot on the beach, and see how they were feeling. It was very slow, but nice all the same. 4.60 miles avg 9.54 pace. No issues with the quads or calves, so just putting yesterdays run as an off day.

Mon 19/03 - After an early morning walk with the dog went out to the countryside for a hilly run. Wore too many layers :rolleyes: but apart from the everything felt ok. 6.22 miles avg 8.58 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Nice running there Ruby. sometimes the legs just dont want to co-operate :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Great lsr there Ruby, even though it was tough, you did it and at a nice pace too, well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Solid runs Ruby and fair play for plugging away on your own when things got tough.

Waterford is your aim, yeah?

• Advertisement

shazkea wrote: »
    Waterford is your aim, yeah?
    Yep shaz, Waterford on the 30th June and then I'll look towards Dublin. Just want to get through Waterford in one piece. Dublin is the main aim of the year.

Tues 20/02 - Nice run this evening. 6.38 miles avg 8.13 pace.

Wed 21/02 - Woke up feeling crap. Spent most of the day doped up on 4flu, in bed. No running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Safe trip up to the big smoke tomorrow :)

shazkea wrote: »
    Safe trip up to the big smoke tomorrow :)

Unfortunately, I can't make it up to the big smoke :( Next time hopefully ;)

Thurs 22/03 - I felt better in myself and was anxious to get a few miles in. Probably choose the wrong route, nearly died on the last hill, lungs felt wrecked. The rain arrived for the last mile which made me speed up. All in all a tough run 6.05 miles avg 8.34 pace. Fell in the door, face puce and felt rotten for the rest of the evening.

I'm still not feeling 100%, so not sure what to do this evening and will see how I feel tomorrow and decided on LSR then.

Fri 23/03 - Sick, so it was work and then straight home to bed.

Sat 24/03 - Sick - no LSR :(

Sun 25/03 - Still not right, but managed to climb out of the bed to give a bit of support to those running in the Splashworld 10K. Fair play to them all, it looked like a tough slog what with the hills and the heat. I'd never have managed it.

Mon 26/03 - Still not 100% but I was cracking up after last weeks low milage, so headed to the beach to try and sweat it out of me. The wind for the first 3 miles was strong, and cold. It felt very tough, but I was happy just to be moving. 6 miles avg 9.10 pace

Tues 27/03 - A glorious day, so off to the beach again. Much warmer than the previous day, with very little wind. 6 miles avg 8.45 pace. Felt a lot better after it.

Wed 28/03 - After a hectic day in Dublin, I really needed a head clearer. Another evening on the beach. A lovely run, apart from a slitor missing me by inches on the head :mad:. 5.10 miles avg 8.33 pace.

Thurs 29/03 - Making the most of the sunshine, went to the beach again. It was a lot cooler, and my legs were quite tired. It's been a long time since I did 4 days in a row on the sand. 6.10 miles avg 9.02 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Sat 17/03 - LSR. Headed out early hoping to dodge the showers, and test out my new water belt (thanks RunRabbit, you are a gem :)). Found the first mile a bit strange, but after that, I didn't really notice the belt at all.
    That's great that you found it comfortable, I could never get used to it. Hope you're feeling better soon, your log has me looking forward to a beach run when I'm down south in a few weeks. There's not even an inch of sand on the beaches near me!

Thanks runrabbit, I'm feeling a lot better, and looking forward to taking the belt on its second outing tomorrow ;)

Re. the beach, once the tide is not fully in you'll have plenty of sand on the front beach and will be able to run right around the sandhills and back up the backstrand. If the tide is in, you'll have to take the backstrand route, which is about 1 1/2 miles of trail, and 1 1/2 miles of sand to the end of the sandhills, where the tide will have cut you off from the front beach, and then turn around and come back the way you came :)

Hopefully the weather will be good for when you are down here! If the sun is out and it's not too windy, it's a gorgeous run.

Fri 30/03 - rest day.

Sat 31/03 - LSR. Don't know what to say about this really. Mile 1-10 were grand, took a gel at mile 10.5. Felt tired at mile 14, and plodded along from there, and the last mile was quite an effort. 18.30 miles avg 9.16 pace. Disappointed that I found it so tough, and the demons in my head are asking all kinds of questions about Waterford mara :(

Sun 01/04 - Had a rare late night Sat night, so knew this was going to be a bit of a shuffle effort. 4.55 miles avg 9.21 Gorgeous morning for a run, so it was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

I hear ya, I'm all over the place as to sticking with a time for Limerick and change my mind after nearly every race and training run. Although you found the LSR tough, your pace was amazing. Just put it down to a bad day at the office! :)

Mon 02/04 - Pyramid session. Ended up doing these around the football pitches. Calves were crying out by the end of the session. With warm up/cool down 5.90 miles covered.

Tues 03/04 - Found this tough in the wind, especially on the hills. 6.10 miles avg 8.10 pace.

Wed 04/04 - An uneventful evening run in the wind. 6.40 miles avg 8.56 pace.

• Advertisement

Thurs 05/04 - A lovely sunny evening for a run by the coast, but it was freezing, and I was glad of the layers and gloves. 6.05 miles avg 8.36 pace.

Advertisement