Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Hey Missus, will we see you in Dublin this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Hey Missus, will we see you in Dublin this year?

That's the plan Mr Slow, but just have the small matter of getting through Waterford Marathon in one piece first :o

Sat 07/04 - LSR time. The plan was hopefully, to be on my feet for 3 hrs. The first 10 miles were pretty crap. I felt uncomfortable, awkward, and had a head full of doubts. Took a gel at 10.5, and kept sipping water. At mile 17.5 an unexpected clap and roar of support from someone lifted my spirits for another little while. After 3 hrs, I was too close to the 20 mark to stop, so ran up and down the road until I hit the 20 mile mark on the garmin. Avg 9.20 pace.

Negatives - it just wasn't comfortable, not quite as bad as the last couple of weeks, but still not like the LSR's I ran in training for DCM'10.

Positives - my legs didn't tighten up, making me stop to stretch like the last few LSR's.

Noticed my right quad had a long bruise on it afterwards. The quad itself isn't sore, but the bruising at the top of the quad is slightly tender. Hope it's nothing to worry about.

Sun 08/04 - This run was 1) to see if the quad was indeed ok, and 2) to get me up to the 50 mile mark for the week. My maths told me 4.7 miles would do it. Took it nice and handy, legs felt fine after yesterdays 20, and the quad wasn't showing any signs of trouble. Did 5.25 miles at 9.37 pace, just to be sure of hitting the 50.

Turns out maths really isn't my strong point. After reading back on my log, I'm short .30 miles, making it a 49.70 mile week. Savage at myself for messing up and missing out :mad:

Mon 09/04 - An easy enough hilly country run in the rain. 6.25 miles avg 9.00 pace.

Tues 10/04 - Group run, took it handy for the first mile pace was 9.18. Stepped it up after. 6.70 miles avg 8.08 pace.

Wed 11/04 - The legs were very tired for this one. Think a trip to the physio is in order, to refresh them. 6.05 miles avg 8.54 pace.

Fri 13/04 - Didn't get out for a run yesterday evening, due to all round feelings of crappiness and headache. So to make up for it I was up and out the door by 5.20 am. this morning. The first mile felt fast, but the garmin showed it was very slow. Upped the pace each mile, last mile was 8.34. Not as bad as my last early run, but not easy either. 5.30 miles avg 9.03 pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Great running ruby at the moment. Congrats on the 20 miler

Sat 14/04 - LSR. Felt good til mile 12/13 :rolleyes: when the legs started to get very heavy and achey. Plodded along, til mile 17. Just glad to get it finished. 17 miles avg 9.14 pace.

Sun 15/04 - A slow easy recovery run down the backstrand. A lovely morning, but it was freezing. 4.15 miles covered.

Mon 16/04 - Track session. 3 mins hard + 1 min recovery x 6. With warm up cool down 4.20 miles covered. Tough going in the wind and rain.

Tues 17/04 - Up and out early, to enjoy the best part of the day. Lovely and sunny, but the wind was blustery. 6.05 miles avg 8.45 pace.

Wed 18/04 - Headed to the beach for a few miles, tide was in so it was a case of running down the backstrand to the end of the sandhills, and back the same way. 6.10 miles avg 8.44.

Had a physio session this evening. Could barely get up the stairs at home after it :o Quads and calves got a hammering. Hoping the legs will feel much fresher for it.

Thurs 19/04 - Wrecked, legs achey, and not feeling the love at all, so instead of a run, I took Ruby to the beach for a walk. The guilts well and truely kicked in by night-time, so I made a promise to myself to get up early, and run before work.

Fri 20/04 - Out the door by 5.15am. Legs a bit creaky for the first mile, but loosened up after that. 6 miles covered avg 8.55 pace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

RubyK wrote: »
    Thurs 19/04 - Wrecked, legs achey, and not feeling the love at all, so instead of a run, I took Ruby to the beach for a walk. The guilts well and truely kicked in by night-time, so I made a promise to myself to get up early, and run before work.

Fri 20/04 - Out the door by 5.15am. Legs a bit creaky for the first mile, but loosened up after that. 6 miles covered avg 8.55 pace.

:eek:, holy smoly that's early, good woman

shazkea wrote: »
    :eek:, holy smoly that's early, good woman

That's what I get for bailing on yesterday evenings session ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Bet you felt great though when you had finished.

Ah, there's nothing like a runner's guilt ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Bet you felt great though when you had finished.

I was happy to get it done alright, but I find I'm wolfing all day after an early run :confused::o
    Ah, there's nothing like a runner's guilt ;)

Indeed, if it wasn't for it, I'd probably never get the gear on, let alone get out the door :)

Sat 21/04 - I was dreading this, I've found nearly all my LSR's over the past while to be a bit of a struggle. After a terrible nights sleep I got out the door for 9am. Decided to try out part of the marathon route. It wasn't easy, but it wasn't as bad as my previous long run experiences altough my legs were wrecked for the last half mile. Covered 18.50 miles avg 9.10 pace.

Sun 22/04 - Early morning recovery run. Legs didn't feel too bad, but it was still quite an effort all the same, for an easy run. 5.20 miles avg 9.21 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

You're going great yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Hey Rubyk have you any races planned between now and waterford marathon?

Hey Rubyk have you any races planned between now and waterford marathon?

Hey tunguska, just the one planned - the half in Kildare. There's a nice 7.5 miler here next weekend, Waterford to Tramore, but it doesn't really suit with trying to get the LSR done.

Mon 23/04 - Track session. 8x400's with 1 min recovery. Calves were not happy with this at all. Found it to be a real slog. 4.75 miles covered.

Tues 24/04 - Group run. Right quad was very tight for the most part, making it an uncomfortable run. 7.30 miles avg 8.24 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

There's a nice 7.5 miler here next weekend, Waterford to Tramore, but it doesn't really suit with trying to get the LSR done.

Do what I did last year, and might do again, run the race and do a slow return lap back to town. 15 mile LSR, job done, lie in on Sunday:)
    Tues 24/04 - Group run. Right quad was very tight for the most part, making it an uncomfortable run. 7.30 miles avg 8.24 pace.

I met the group just as they and I were starting out - but going in different directions.

You are clocking nice mileage these days;)

• Advertisement

slowsteady wrote: »
    Do what I did last year, and might do again, run the race and do a slow return lap back to town. 15 mile LSR, job done, lie in on Sunday:)

I'd have to do it in reverse, run into Waterford, then race back out. TBH, I don't think I'd be doing myself any favours, with the half the following week.
    I met the group just as they and I were starting out - but going in different directions.

Did we pass you just before Ursaline Court? Were you wearing a DCM'10 top? Hope the knee is holding up ok for you.

Wed 25/04 - Recovery run of laps around the GAA pitch. Quad was feeling a lot better. Effortwise it felt tougher than it should, but putting that down to the weather and grass. 5 miles avg 9.21 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

You are clocking nice mileage these days;)

Ruby is the only Boards novice to run 25.6 miles in training for a marathon, she eats road for breakfast! ;)

I'd have to do it in reverse, run into Waterford, then race back out. TBH, I don't think I'd be doing myself any favours, with the half the following week.

Did we pass you just before Ursaline Court? Were you wearing a DCM'10 top?
    That was me alright. You are probably better off doing your regular LSR unless you wanted to stick some HMP miles into it. Do you have a time in mind for Kildare?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Ruby is the only Boards novice to run 25.6 miles in training for a marathon, she eats road for breakfast! ;)

If only I could get back to that! I'm struggling with the LSR's this time round :o

That was me alright.

There are runs every Tues & Thurs from the RSC at 7.00pm. It's nice to run in a group, even just once a week, and there's always someone who is of the same pace. I'm not much company to run with, I don't talk much :o, but it's nice to just have someone beside you.
    You are probably better off doing your regular LSR unless you wanted to stick some HMP miles into it. Do you have a time in mind for Kildare?

Yeah, think I'll stick with the LSR. For the half, my PB from Waterford in Dec is 1.46.52, so hoping the pacers can drag me around and get me sub 1.45.

Will you do the Waterford-Tramore-Waterford on the 5th? Any halfs planned yourself?

It's nice to run in a group, even just once a week, and there's always someone who is of the same pace.
    I went out last Sunday with the marathon group for the first time, helped to pass the couple of hours. Like you though, happy just to run.
    Will you do the Waterford-Tramore-Waterford on the 5th? Any halfs planned yourself?
    Planning to have a go, to see if I'm any better shape than last year - have my doubts:p.

Have a pass from last year's Cork marathon so will use it for the half, possibly as a tempo run ahead of the end of June. Need some more LSRs in the meantime - but not 25.6 mile ones:)

I went out with the group a couple of months ago. I'd like to join up with them again, but Saturdays suit me better.

I'm sure you'll get yourself a nice pb next weekend!

26/04 - Felt a bit tired for this one, but the legs were grand, no niggles, which is always nice. 5.75 miles avg 8.33 pace.

Sat 28/04 - LSR. Had a stitch before I even left the house, so that really didn't fill me with much joy or confidence. The first 2 miles felt uncomfortable, and then I hit the Waterford road, and the freezing headwind. Glad I had my gloves on. Got a bit of a break going up the Cork Road, but the wind was against me again from mile 11 or so. The drags and hills of Butlerstown took their toll on me, and mile 13 was the low point of the morning. I really wanted to stop and walk for a bit, but as there was 3 guys running about 300 metres behind me, my pride wouldn't le me :o. Took some jellies after mile 14 and felt a lot better. Got into a more comfortable stride and got back into Tramore. A lap of the prom and a bit of doubling back, got me 21.01 miles avg 9.11 pace. I'm hoping that come June, we won't have to worry about northerly winds, I really found it tough at times.

Sun 29/04 - Early morning recovery run. It wasn't hard to keep the pace down with the wind that was blowing. Legs a bit creaky for the first mile, but ok after that. My post LSR ritual must be working :D, touch wood. 4.25 miles avg 9.19 pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great running at the weekend Ruby. I know you've had a couple of tough LSRs recently but you've gotten through them well - it hasn't been a case of just surviving them. The great training to date will really stand to you come June. Have you got a target time in mind?

• Advertisement

claralara wrote: »
    Great running at the weekend Ruby. I know you've had a couple of tough LSRs recently but you've gotten through them well - it hasn't been a case of just surviving them. The great training to date will really stand to you come June. Have you got a target time in mind?

Thanks clara, I'm hoping the bad run of LSR's will toughen me up :) Target time is 3.49.59, to get a GFA for London. I don't hold out much hope tbh, the course isn't the easiest and the wind could be a real problem, but sure you have to have something to aim for.

Advertisement