Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

With past form you'll do better than that....mark my words!
    Well done on the tough Lsr.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

RubyK wrote: »
    Thanks clara, I'm hoping the bad run of LSR's will toughen me up :) Target time is 3.49.59, to get a GFA for London. I don't hold out much hope tbh, the course isn't the easiest and the wind could be a real problem, but sure you have to have something to aim for.

Doing that run on your own on Sat in those conditions was a great achievement. Doing it with the race atmosphere and others around you will be completely different. The wind is unlikely to be as strong and it should be warmer so that target is well within reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Mon 30/04 - Track session. 2 mile warm up, 3 x 1600's with 2 mins recovery. Ughhhhh. 5.95 miles covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Mon 30/04 - Track session. 2 mile warm up, 3 x 1600's with 2 mins recovery. Ughhhhh. 5.95 miles covered.

So you enjoyed that then :D

Emer911 wrote: »
    So you enjoyed that then :D

Oh yes, I just love the Monday session! A barrell of laughs they are ;)

Tues 01/05 - I could easily have talked myself out of the run, but the guilts are just not worth it. Headed out into the countryside, for a peaceful hilly run. Was quite enjoyable after all. 6.25 miles avg 8.34 pace.

Wed 02/05 - Up and out early for this one, and headed to the beach, which I had all to myself for the most part. A fantastic morning, and a great way to start the day. 6 miles avg 9.14 pace.

• Advertisement

Thurs 03/05 - Lovely evening for a run. 4.70 miles avg 8.33 pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Thanks clara, I'm hoping the bad run of LSR's will toughen me up :) Target time is 3.49.59, to get a GFA for London. I don't hold out much hope tbh, the course isn't the easiest and the wind could be a real problem, but sure you have to have something to aim for.

Absolutely not a bother to you!! :)

Sat 05/05 - Plan was to do 20, again along the marathon route. Weather was kinder than last week, but it was still pretty cold. The miles seemed to go by quicker, although the pace was slower. All in all it was the most comfortable LSR of this plan. Felt good-ish at mile 20 so carried on for a couple more, although the last half was a pure shuffle. 22.20 miles avg 9.17 pace.

Sun 06/05 - I wasn't over joyed at the thoughts of a recovery, as I was pretty tired, but the stubborn part of me wanted to get over the 50 mile mark for the week, so off I headed. It went ok. 5.30 miles avg 9.32 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Wow ruby 22.2 miles well done you and on your own. How many more lsrs have you left to do. You are in great shape girl :)

22 mile LSR, impressive!! London here we come!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Great pace over the 22 miles, you flying it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Sat 05/05 - Plan was to do 20............
    .........22.20 miles avg 9.17 pace.

:D:D oh that made me smile. Well done.

Nules10 wrote: »
    Wow ruby 22.2 miles well done you and on your own. How many more lsrs have you left to do. You are in great shape girl :)

Hey Nules, marathon is 7 weeks on Saturday :eek: I'm doing the kildare half this weekend. So hopefully two more 20+.
    jcsmum wrote:
    22 mile LSR, impressive!! London here we come!!
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, I wish I shared it :eek:

Mon 07/05 - Out in the countryside for this one, it was pretty windy and yet unexpectently warm. I was willing the heavens to open from mile 4, I was sweating buckets :o but they didn't. 6.22 miles avg 8.41 pace.

Tues 08/05 - Group run. A few tough enough climbs to contend with, but enjoyable all the same. 7.82 miles avg 8.39 pace.

Wed 09/05 - Rest day.

Thurs 10/05 - Nice run with the group again. 5.3 miles avg 8.24 pace. Might do a few slow easy miles later, and then rest up for Sundays half.

Good luck tomorrow, weather forecast looks OK.

Go out at target pace and drive on from halfway:)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Good luck tomorrow, I predict a nice PB. Enjoy the day

Best of luck tomorrow. Can't wait for the race report :D

Best of luck tomorrow ruby. You will fly it. Have fun

Congrats, see on Menoscemo's log you finished ahead of them, so stage 1 of mission accomplished. Sub 3:50:00 will be no bother after that, wind or no wind. Well done again:).

• Advertisement

Fri - Hoped to do a few easy miles, but an eye allergy put that plan out the window. It was probably for the best, as I was wrecked tired anyway.

Sat - It felt strange not to be doing the usual LSR, and the nerves made it a long long day.

Sun - Kildare 1/2. Headed off in the car at 9.15, all psyched up. It wasn't long until I realised I'd forgotten my arm holder with my gel & glucose sweets. Turned around and headed back home, swearing at myself. Wound up, off I headed again. Handy spin up the road, and was parked in the Curragh by 10.50am. Hoody on, I headed up to the entrance hall, to shelter from the wind :eek: I couldn't believe how strong & cold it was. At 11.30am I headed out to the stand, and I reluctantly ditched the hoodie and embraced the gale. Nerves were up to 90, and I just wanted to get going. We were brought out on the course, and I found the balloon of Meno. I lined up about 4 lines behind him, and off we went. The first 1/2 mile did not go to plan, the track we were on was narrow, and there were some walkers and joggers who were hard to get past. I began to panic as I looked for Menos white cap and balloon, only to see it getting further away from me. I tried to get past people, but it was pretty congested. Mile 2 and I was starting to get a bit nearer the pacers, but the first waterstation was a disaster for me. Had to stop, and root for a bottle, then dropped it :mad: grabbed another one, got going again, but the balloons were out of sight. The next few miles were about pushing on, and getting back to the pacers, but every time I thought I was getting near to them, the slipped away. A guy running just behind me was saying the same, so at least I wasn't just me. Mile 7 was the real low point. I felt I had given everything and thought I wouldn't be able to hold on, the wind had zapped my will. Just as I was feeling beaten, an offer of some jellies from locals lifted my spirits and the sugary little guys did their trick. Just after 8.5 miles I caught up with Meno. Water and lucosade at mile 9 helped me a bit, and I pushed on slightly from there. Mile 10 and 11 came, but I was really starting to tire. There were people stopping to walk, and it took me all my might not to do the same. I just wanted a break, even for 10 secs. But I kept telling myself it wasn't supposed to be easy, it's supposed to hurt, everyone is in their own hell, just keep on pushing. The last mile and a half with the stand and finishline in sight was mental torture, it looked soooo far away. Eventually hit mile 12, and just concentrated on getting to the finish. A little bit of a sprint in the last 100 metres and then pain was over, and it was pure elation to be finished. Official chip time 1.43.53. A PB of 3 mins and 3 secs from Decembers half in Waterford. Delighted with the time, but mentally it was probably the toughest race I've ran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sun - Kildare 1/2. Headed off in the car at 9.15, all psyched up. It wasn't long until I realised I'd forgotten my arm holder with my gel & glucose sweets. Turned around and headed back home, swearing at myself. Wound up, off I headed again. Handy spin up the road, and was parked in the Curragh by 10.50am. Hoody on, I headed up to the entrance hall, to shelter from the wind :eek: I couldn't believe how strong & cold it was. At 11.30am I headed out to the stand, and I reluctantly ditched the hoodie and embraced the gale. Nerves were up to 90, and I just wanted to get going. We were brought out on the course, and I found the balloon of Meno. I lined up about 4 lines behind him, and off we went. The first 1/2 mile did not go to plan, the track we were on was narrow, and there were some walkers and joggers who were hard to get past. I began to panic as I looked for Menos white cap and balloon, only to see it getting further away from me. I tried to get past people, but it was pretty congested. Mile 2 and I was starting to get a bit nearer the pacers, but the first waterstation was a disaster for me. Had to stop, and root for a bottle, then dropped it :mad: grabbed another one, got going again, but the balloons were out of sight. The next few miles were about pushing on, and getting back to the pacers, but every time I thought I was getting near to them, the slipped away. A guy running just behind me was saying the same, so at least I wasn't just me. Mile 7 was the real low point. I felt I had given everything and thought I wouldn't be able to hold on, the wind had zapped my will. Just as I was feeling beaten, an offer of some jellies from locals lifted my spirits and the sugary little guys did their trick. Just after 8.5 miles I caught up with Meno. Water and lucosade at mile 9 helped me a bit, and I pushed on slightly from there. Mile 10 and 11 came, but I was really starting to tire. There were people stopping to walk, and it took me all my might not to do the same. I just wanted a break, even for 10 secs. But I kept telling myself it wasn't supposed to be easy, it's supposed to hurt, everyone is in their own hell, just keep on pushing. The last mile and a half with the stand and finishline in sight was mental torture, it looked soooo far away. Eventually hit mile 12, and just concentrated on getting to the finish. A little bit of a sprint in the last 100 metres and then pain was over, and it was pure elation to be finished. Official chip time 1.43.53. A PB of 3 mins and 3 secs from Decembers half in Waterford. Delighted with the time, but mentally it was probably the toughest race I've ran.

Well done RubyK. I totally agree with you the first few miles were a complete disaster as the paths were too narrow and there were too many walkers at the front of the start area. It wasn't until about 4 miles that you had time to dictate your own pace, you also match my feelings about the water stations, really poor.
    You really dug in to catch up and push on, you were well ahead of me by the end. I'll happily take that pint after DCM :D

Thanks again meno, I won't forget that pint for you :D

Well done on the new PB - 3 minutes is a fair achievement!
    They say we learn more from the hard races, so I'm sure you'll be so much the wiser from that one ;) [I'd prefer to stay dumb and have all nice easy races myself:D]

So Dublin next then? :rolleyes::p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Thanks again meno, I won't forget that pint for you :D

He won't let you forget ;)

wow well done ruby great running. All the hard work is paying off. Sounded really tough the wind was shocking yesterday makes that PB all the sweeter.:)

Emer911 wrote: »
    So Dublin next then? :rolleyes::p

Thanks guys, was tough alright but sure that's the way it goes sometimes.

Next up Waterford marathon in less than 7 weeks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on the wonderful PB, it sounded like tough going both with the crowds & the surface and the weather...so fair dues on not giving up and achieving a great PB.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats on the PB in tough conditions. Roll on Waterford!

• Advertisement

Well done for digging in and getting a great time.
    Sub 3'45 at least now :)

Advertisement