Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Mon 14/05 - Took the legs out for a tester. They were creaky for the first mile, and again for the last mile, but no damage to report :) 5.15 miles avg 9.09 pace.

Tues 15/05 - A breezy run along the coast. 6 miles covered avg 8.47 pace. Legs felt 10 times better than yesterday.

Wed 16/05 - Same route as yesterday evening. 6 miles avg 8.34 pace.

Stupid headcold has finally surfaced :(. It better be gone by Sat mornings LSR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

That's a great half PB Ruby congrats. Hope the cold eases up but I'm sure it's no harm to take it easy for a few days anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

shazkea wrote: »
    That's a great half PB Ruby congrats.
    +1 - great going! Well done - I'm looking forward to hearing about a nice tasty PB in the marathon now!

Fri 18/05 - It was a miserable evening for a run, but needed to get it done as I missed yesterdays due to head cold. Ended up being quite an enjoyable 5.50 miles avg 8.39 pace.

Sat 19/05 - Up early for this LSR. 4 miles in, my right foot started to get very sore. Stopped and check the runner, and only noticed then that the seam on the side of the tongue was very rough :( Have them less than 2 weeks, but only noticed this problem today. The rest of the run was spent stopping/starting trying to get comfortable. Very frustrating. So an annoying runner, along with the wind, cold, and my numb hands dropping most of my jellies, it wasn't the best LSR. 23.22 miles avg 9.19 pace.

Sun 20/05 - Tested out the foot this morning on a recovery run. Couldn't lace up the Brookes, so ended up back in the Kayanos. Due to the easy pace this was an ok run, foot a little tender, but the legs themselves were fine. 4.75 miles avg 9.35 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

And you still managed over 23 miles!?!?! Hardcore! :)

• Advertisement

jcsmum wrote: »
    And you still managed over 23 miles!?!?! Hardcore! :)

Not hardcore jcsmum, it was pure stubborn-ness. Met someone this morning who said they saw me plodding along before the 23 mark. She said she felt very sorry for me, and thought I was going to collapse :eek::o I knew I looked a bit rough, but didn't think I was that bad!

Mon 21/05 - 1.1 miles easy run along the prom before heading to the track for interval session. Warm up, 3 sets of 3x400's with 200 metre recovery between each 400, and 400 recovery between each set, cool down. A tough but satisfying session. 7.22 miles covered in total.

Foot still sore from the Brooks, and not feeling much better in the Kayanos, so it's back to the old Nike Triax for now.

Tues 22/05 - 7 miles avg 8.25 pace. Enjoyable run.

Wed 23/05 - Morning run on the beach. It was bloody cold :confused: so much for the Sunny Southeast. 4.30 miles avg 9.17 pace.

Big thumbs up for ForRunnersByRunners.com who are taking back the Brooks Adrenalines and replacing them.

Thurs 24/05 - Summer has arrived :D 5.26 hot hot miles avg 8.23 pace.

Sat 26/05 - LSR. A 6.50am start in order to beat the heat. First 10 miles were comfortable enough, but it started warming up for the last half, and was well toasty by the finish. Did a loop, but still managed to have the wind in my face all the way :rolleyes: 20.05 miles avg 9.12 pace.

Sun 27/05 - It was such a gorgeous morning, I headed down the back strand and around the sandhills for a recovery few miles. Wasn't hard to keep the pace down but it was a really enjoyable run. 6 miles avg 9.38 pace.

Mon 28/05 - Plan was track session - epic fall fail - I was in the supermarket after work, and slipped on something and crashed down on the ground, my left knee taking the brunt of it, it swelled up and a turned a nice shade of purple, also I managed to twinge my lower back :(. So no running done, sat for the evening with a pack of peas on my knee. This morning my knee doesn't feel too bad, but my left side is pretty stiff, all the way from my lower back to my lower hamstring. F*ck it anway.

• Advertisement

RubyK wrote: »
    Mon 28/05 - Plan was track session - epic fall fail - I was in the supermarket after work, and slipped on something and crashed down on the ground, my left knee taking the brunt of it, it swelled up and a turned a nice shade of purple, also I managed to twinge my lower back :(. So no running done, sat for the evening with a pack of peas on my knee. This morning my knee doesn't feel too bad, but my left side is pretty stiff, all the way from my lower back to my lower hamstring. F*ck it anway.

Is that like the worst luck ever!!! I'm wrapped in cotton wool ;) am running Cork on Monday. Glutton for punishment.
    Mind yourself for goodness sake woman.

Is that like the worst luck ever!!!
    Well I am clumsy!

I'm wrapped in cotton wool ;) am running Cork on Monday. Glutton for punishment.

You kept that one quiet on your log - Good woman, there is no stopping you!! Sub 3.40 at least??
    Mind yourself for goodness sake woman.

Will do! I am popping the anti-inflams, so hopefully they'll do the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Oh s**t Ruby. Go get some difeine(sp??) its my new best friend :D The gel is great too. Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Bad timing on the fall, not that there's ever a good time to hit the deck. Hopefully no damage done and it will settle down in a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Hate hate hate that! Hope it's only bruising and gets better soon. Take it easy!

Thanks gals, after a few days minding myself, and dosing up on diclac, things have settle down again, thank God :)

Tues 29/05 - Took it handy on the beach to suss out the body. 5.15 miles avg 8.53. Plenty of stretching and icing afterwards.

Wed 30/05 - Another trip to the beach. It was v windy and a rogue surf kite nearly took me out of it a half mile into the run :rolleyes: 5.70 miles avg 8.53.

Thurs 31/05 - A progression run with the group, on a much warmer evening than I was expecting. 6.33 miles avg 8.24 pace.

Fri 01/06 - 4.50 miles avg 8.56 pace. This felt waaayyyy much harder than it should have. Didn't enjoy it.

Sat 02/06 - 15 miles avg 8.48 pace. Found this very tough again and the stomach wasn't happy. I was wrecked after it.

Sun 03/06 - Sick stomach, no running done.

Mon 04/06 - Country run, probably the worst run I have had in a long time. 6.22 miles avg 9.06 pace.

I suppose it's best to have these bad runs in training, and hope on marathon day they will have toughened me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

These things come in cycles, you seem to have got over hurting your knee so you are in a much better place than this time last week. As you say get the bad runs out of the way, but despite this you did the mileage, so its all good.

One more long run before winding down? - or in your case 2 or 3?:p

slowsteady wrote: »
    These things come in cycles, you seem to have got over hurting your knee so you are in a much better place than this time last week. As you say get the bad runs out of the way, but despite this you did the mileage, so its all good.
    Yep, you are right, I'm lucky the knee was only bruised, and I could keep on training.
    slowsteady wrote:
    One more long run before winding down?

Yep, one more long one, and I'm looking forward to getting it over and done with. Then, let the madness begin :o.

Tues 05/06 - Group run. 6.82 miles covered avg 8.24 pace.

Wed 06/06 - Recovery run down the beach and around the sandhills. 6 miles covered avg 9.11 pace.

Thurs 07/06 - Managed to just about escape the rain this evening. 5.12 miles covered avg 8.14 pace.

• Advertisement

Nearly there....cue the Rocky music! You'll do great. I've made an executive decision not to apply for London. I'll definitely do cork though. I really liked the route. Will be interesting to see what you make of Waterford.

Nearly there....cue the Rocky music! You'll do great. I've made an executive decision not to apply for London. I'll definitely do cork though. I really liked the route. Will be interesting to see what you make of Waterford.

Can't believe how quickly the last few weeks seem to have gone! Are you going to do Dublin this year? Cork is definitely one I'd like to do someday, but I'll see how Waterford goes first, before I make anymore plans ;)

Sat 09/06 - Last LSR of training. Probabaly felt more relaxed doing this one than any other, suppose it was knowing "this is it". Took in most of the route again, tried the Lacken Road for the first time, a nice kick in that little hill. Found the Cork Road & Butlerstown tough, and took a gel at mile 14 to get me up the last of the hill, which seemed to do the trick. The rest of the run was uneventful enough, glad to get it done with and in one piece. 23.20 miles avg 9.07 pace.

Sun 10/06 - A short slow recovery run to make sure legs were ok, along the backstrand. 3.10 miles avg 9.44 pace.

Can't believe it's taper time. Roll on the mind games :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Just realised I never sent my congrats after the Kildare Half. So a belated well done from me! You must be getting excited now after the last long one. Time to recharge the batteries now without going too mental. Have you any goal time in mind?

Cheers claralara, glad to have gotten the last long one done alright. Hoping to finish in 3.49.xx.

Mon 11/06 - Track session. Pyramids. 200's,300's,400's,500's,600's,700's,800's with 1 min recovery between each. 2.5 min recovery after the 800, before going back down again. Tough going but in a good way. 7.15 miles covered.

Cheers claralara, glad to have gotten the last long one done alright. Hoping to finish in 3.49.xx.

Mon 11/06 - Track session. Pyramids. 200's,300's,400's,500's,600's,700's,800's with 1 min recovery between each. 2.5 min recovery after the 800, before going back down again. Tough going but in a good way. 7.15 miles covered.

I think you are selling yourself short with 3'49'xx. I think if all is well on the day, you'll go a good bit under that. No pressure now mind :)

I think you are selling yourself short with 3'49'xx. I think if all is well on the day, you'll go a good bit under that. No pressure now mind :)

Thanks jcsmum, but hand on heart I'm not very confident on getting 3.49.xx. Mile 6 to 13 will be a real test. But sure no 26.2 mile race is easy ;) If it doesn't go to plan on the day, there's always Dublin, which I really want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

a 23 mile training run holy moley you are flying it :) enjoy the taper don't go too mad ;)

Nules10 wrote: »
    enjoy the taper don't go too mad ;)
    Trying to keep the mad thoughts and feelings to myself, don't want to freak out the family & friends :pac:

Tues 12/06 - Progression run. 5.23 miles avg 8.29 pace.

Wed 13/06 - Recovery run on the beach. I really enjoyed this, and picked up a four legged friend half way, which kept me company for a few miles. 6.01 miles avg 9.12 pace.

Got a a sports rub on Wed evening, which sorted out the few niggles I've had recently. It was sore, but all worth it.

Thurs 14/06 - Early morning short one, ahead of the rain, on fresh new legs. 4.50 miles avg 8.46 pace.

• Advertisement

Sat 16/06 - Decided to run a local route rather than part of the mara course, for a change of scenery. It was quite blustery, and the heavens opened at mile 5. 13.3 miles avg 8.44 pace. Legs niggley afterwards.

Sun 17/06 - A short slow recovery on the beach. 3.25 miles covered.

Advertisement