Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Great week missus, keep it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

RubyK wrote: »
    Wed 19/01 pm - track session. 2 laps warm up, 10x400's the last couple nearly killed me, 3 laps cool down. Felt the middle of my right thigh getting a bit tight on the 2nd last lap, but I'm putting it down to not having run like that since I was a teenager :o

Excellent. Dont worry about the thigh, speedwork on the track does some strange stuff to your body. What pace were the 400s? What was the recovery between reps? One rule of track work: Always finish the session. With 10 x 400s you should start to suffer at number 5. Really suffer at number 7. By number 8 you shoud be in such a jock that you consider feigning injury so as to stop the agony..........but you dont because this is what makes you tough for racing. Number 9 aint so bad because you know you're almost there so you hang on some more. Number 10 is actually ok because you know you've made it through, in fact the last one is always the your fastest rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Wed 19/01 pm - track session. 2 laps warm up, 10x400's the last couple nearly killed me, 3 laps cool down. Felt the middle of my right thigh getting a bit tight on the 2nd last lap, but I'm putting it down to not having run like that since I was a teenager :o

Am no expert but is this warm up a bit short? I run with a group at work and when we use the track we run to the track (about a mile) and then do 4 laps warm up before starting. I would have thought that especially in this cold weather a good warm-up would be important before a track session?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

tunguska wrote: »
    What pace were the 400s?

I don't actually know each one (dead garmin) and I only heard some of the times being called out :o. We started of easy enough, building up effort, but the last 3 were really tough imo, but I'm a newbie to this, so they would most likely be a warm up for to others. Last one was 1 min 36 secs.
    tunguska wrote: »
    One rule of track work: Always finish the session. With 10 x 400s you should start to suffer at number 5. Really suffer at number 7. By number 8 you shoud be in such a jock that you consider feigning injury so as to stop the agony..........but you dont because this is what makes you tough for racing. Number 9 aint so bad because you know you're almost there so you hang on some more. Number 10 is actually ok because you know you've made it through, in fact the last one is always the your fastest rep.

Thanks for that, I can't ever see myself enjoying this type of session, but if it makes me stronger and faster, I'll keep at it ;)

macinalli wrote: »
    Am no expert but is this warm up a bit short? I run with a group at work and when we use the track we run to the track (about a mile) and then do 4 laps warm up before starting. I would have thought that especially in this cold weather a good warm-up would be important before a track session?

I suppose written down it does sound short alright, but we built up the effort over the 10, starting off easy enough. I'm a newbie to this kind of work. Though it still made me want to hurl at one stage :o

• Advertisement

Sat 22/01 - Sick stomach for the first 4 miles, and tired sore legs after Wednesdays track session, meant it was a tough enough hilly slog. I wanted to quit as each mile passed, but I had 13 in my head, and that was what had to get done. 13.25 miles in 2.03.33 mins. Decided to try a cold bath for the first time, and even though it was a painful experience, it seemed to do the trick on my legs.

Took a rest day yesterday, due to a late night Saturday night.

35.25 miles - the most miles done in months :)

Mon 24/01 - after getting my race no. in the post for Dungarvan 10 that's on this Sunday, I was looking forward to an easy 6 miles. It was obvious after a mile that wasn't to be the case due to sharp pain in the front mid part of my thigh :( Slowly jogged back home. A very disappointing 2.3 miles. Iced the thigh and plenty of voltrol gel applied.

Don't know what to do now. Rest for a few days, and chance Dungarvan on Sunday?? Or forget about doing in, and just concentrate on getting this sorted.

Thurs 27/01 - a very slow beach run 6.10 miles. Found the soft sand tough going from mile 2-5. Quad niggling away at 1/2 mile, eased off, but appeared again with a 1/2 mile to go :o. Rang the physio for an appointment.

Fri 28/01 - physio work. Lots of cleaning out of the quad. Sore, but worth it.

Sat 29/01 - on physio's advice, a handy 2.05 miles on the beach. Got the go ahead from him for tomorrows Dungarvan 10. It won't be a pb that's for sure, but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Best of luck tomorrow and I hope the legs hold up well

Sun 30/01 - Dungarvan 10

I was pretty nervous about this run, and was just hoping to get over the finish line in one piece! Made my way down to the start line and spotted a boards top, so went over to say hi. It was DigiJem, and we had a quick chat before the gun went off. I had her in my sight for all of a half a mile, she was flying! I found the first couple of miles tougher than they should have felt, and my legs felt quite weak at times. At mile 4, I began to settle into it, and started to enjoy it. Mile 5-8 were ok, but I found mile 9 mile tough enough, but an unexpected shout of support from someone I know gave me a little boost, and I pushed on for the last mile. I started my garmin late :o and so it only clocked 9.93 miles. Offical time was 84 min 12 secs - 15 seconds slower than last year, but I'm still happy, as I didn't think I'd get near that time. Again, it was a really well organised race, lovely support from locals & stewards, and a decent goody bag. For €15 that was a great day out!

Right quad and hip a little stiff today, but nothing too much to worry about.

Mile 1: 08.16
    Mile 2: 08.31
    Mile 3: 08.32
    Mile 4: 08.37
    Mile 5: 08.39
    Mile 6: 08.32
    Mile 7: 08.26
    Mile 8: 08.16
    Mile 9: 08.14
    Mile 10: 08.02

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Ruby, fantastic running. Great time!

Brilliant running, well done you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭finnegan2010

Fair play to ya!.
    I tried running down the park at the weekend. Literally Jogging, within 5 minutes my throat was in bits my face was BLOOD Red and took me 10 mins to recover lol. Wow Ill admit last time i ran for more then 30 seconds was my last PE class in 94 :eek:
    Embarressed face

Cheers guys, glad to have gotten through it in one piece :D

Stick with it finnegan, the initial pain is all worth it ;)

Good god, if this is you holding back in a race...I'm scared to see you in full throttle!!

Well done :D

shazkea wrote: »
    Good god, if this is you holding back in a race...I'm scared to see you in full throttle!!

Well done :D

Oh God no, sorry I should have said that was pretty much full throttle shaz, it's just that I didn't think going down to Dungarvan that would happen. I thought I'd be doing at least 9 min miles. I had nothing left in the tank in the end :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Well done, glad you came through it unscathed. Good to meet you yesterday.

Oh God no, sorry I should have said that was pretty much full throttle shaz, it's just that I didn't think going down to Dungarvan that would happen. I thought I'd be doing at least 9 min miles. I had nothing left in the tank in the end :o

You're just coming back from injury and did a great time so I think there's def more left in the tank for next races :cool:....

Mon 31/01 - a recovery 5.05 miles on the beach after work. Legs were quite stiff all day, but they felt better running than walking. Apart from a bit of stiffness, there seems to be no quad/hip problems to report :D

Tues 01/02 - rest day. Some core and stretching this evening.

Wed 02/02 - Wasn't feeling the love for the first couple of miles mainly due to niggles, and it was a bit of a slog to mile 5, where I found my second wind. 6 miles avg pace 8.45.

Thur 03/02 - Day off from work so headed down the back strand and around the sandhills. Soft sand and headwind from mile 2-4 meant I was barely moving forward :o 6.1 miles agv pace 9.41 - what a difference a day makes! On the plus side, no niggles!

Thur 03/02 pm - 1 mile run with the dog. She loved the first 1/2 mile, but after that she wasn't looking too impressed. She doesn't like the windy weather ;-)

• Advertisement

Sat 05/02 - 10.35 miles in 1.35.21 avg 9.12 min miles. The wind made this a tough old slog, and my legs felt heavy for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Sat 05/02 - 10.35 miles in 1.35.21 avg 9.12 min miles. The wind made this a tough old slog, and my legs felt heavy for the most part.

great running there Ruby. Nice pace!

Mon 07/02 - 6.57 miles in 59.40 min Avg 9.04 mm. It was a perfect evening for running. Cold calm and clear. Miss judged how quickly it was getting dark, and found myself at mile 2 running in the pitch dark by the woods. It gave me the creeps, so that was my fastest mile - 8.16 mins. Once back in the land of the living, I eased the pace down. I was going grand up till 6 miles, when my legs suddenly went really weak, and felt like they were going to stop working, so eased down the pace again, and was glad to fall in the door home.

Tues 08/02 - 5.31 miles in 47.40 min Avg 8.58 mm. It was the opposite of a perfect night for running. Very wet and windy, yet I enjoyed this run more than any other one I can remember, in a long time .Nearly got lost in a lake puddle at mile 4.5 :o, but other than that it was all good. Running in the rain is quite invigorating :D

Track session tonight. Not really looking forward to it, but I know it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Jeepers missus you are flying it! Some brilliant times there - congrats!

Wed 09/02 - track session. Moved up a group, so I was in with the men :o Tough session in wet & windy weather. 4 x 800's, 4 x 400's and 3 x 100's (I was Paddy last for the 100's). I don't know the times (really have to learn how to set the watch), but I do know it hurt. Hamstring tight after it. 4.20 miles.

Thurs 10/02 - 5.20 miles in 50.26 mins. Legs felt quite tired for this beach run. Lots of niggles, but I expected to feel like that after the track session. Stretching and corework after it.

Rest day today. I'm unsure whether to go for the hilly 5 mile race tomorrow, or just do a nice LSR :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Wed 09/02 - track session. Moved up a group, so I was in with the men :o Tough session in wet & windy weather. 4 x 800's, 4 x 400's and 3 x 100's (I was Paddy last for the 100's). I don't know the times (really have to learn how to set the watch), but I do know it hurt. Hamstring tight after it. 4.20 miles.

Fair play! That sounds like a hellish session. Here's me tipping along with a few 400's and moaning about that. You're putting us all to shame! :p

Hey Emer, my laps are likely to be a lot slower than yours :) I have no idea the pace of them (I really should learn how to use the garmin properly!).

Sat 12/02 - decided late on Friday not to do the 5 mile race Saturday morning, as my legs were still sore from Wednesday track session :confused:, so opted for a nice handy 10 mile run. 10.40 miles in 1.34.02 mins. 9.02 mm. Legs loosed out nicely after a while, and I really enjoyed this morning run. I did find the last half mile tough though, and was glad to get back home.

Sun 13/02 - an early morning 3.2 mile country run/walk with the dog. We both enjoyed it! A gorgeous spring morning.

Mon 14/02 - After a crappy day yesterday, I was shattered by evening time, and all I wanted to do was go home to bed :o. But I forced myself out the door. Legs felt really strange at mile 4, like they were about to give up and stop working :eek: but a quick stretch and they felt ok again.
    6 miles in 51.47 mins. Avg pace 8.38 min miles.

Mon 14/02 - After a crappy day yesterday, I was shattered by evening time, and all I wanted to do was go home to bed :o. But I forced myself out the door. Legs felt really strange at mile 4, like they were about to give up and stop working :eek: but a quick stretch and they felt ok again.
    6 miles in 51.47 mins. Avg pace 8.38 min miles.

Great run for someone who wasn't in the mood for it - that's faster than my 10k race time! I'm looking forward to working on the speed a bit after Connemara. Good on ya! :)

• Advertisement

It was definitely a case of mind over matter! I ran the frustration of Monday outa me :pac: You're going great guns with your training! I'd love to be doing Conn, and I'm looking forward to reading your race report, and hearing about your success.

Tues 15/02 - 5.68 miles in 49.46 mins. Avg 8.46 min miles. I was enjoying this for the first 3 miles, but ran mile 3 too fast, and felt wrecked by mile 4. Eased off the pace and plodded up the hills at mile 4-5, and pushed on home for the last .68. Never met so many people out running of an evening.

Off to the dreaded track tonight.

Advertisement