Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sat 30/06 - Waterford Viking Marathon.

I was ok nerve wise Friday night, but all that changed when I woke up Saturday morning. Up at 5.50 and I was a bag of nerves. Brought the dog out for a quick walk, thought that might help, but it didn't. I didn't feel I could stomach much, but forced the wholemeal toast down. Dad collected me at 8.10 and I was at the start line for 8.30. Met a couple of people, and the chat helped me settle down a bit. There was a nice atmosphere around, everyone seemed in good spirits. Lined myself up inbetween the 3.45 pacers and 4.00 pacers, and without delay we were off down the quay and back up again. My gel belt was too lose and was annoying me, as was my arm holder :o and I lost a gel before hitting mile 1. We had another 3 miles or so before heading out the Tramore Road and into the countryside. I tried to keep the pace consistant at 8.47, but mile 5 and 6 were 8.55 and 9.08, and I wasn't feeling comfortable. Things picked up after mile 7 and I caught up with a local runner on the Cork Rd, and we stayed together up the dreaded Butlerstown Road. We got a fantastic reception from the half marathoners who were lined up and waiting to start their race. I remember looking at my watch - the plan was to get to the half in 1.54, but it read 1.56 so I knew my sub 3.50 was over, but tried not to let it break me mentally. Left knee started to get a bit niggley, but tried not to think about it. Felt comfortable in myself all the way into Tramore, and being on home turf, the support from family and friends really made it really special. Got some jellies and lucozade from my Dad at mile 17. Down the prom and around the IDA, and we hit mile 19 and started out on the Tramore Road that would take us into the finish. That's when the wheels started to fall off for me. Both hips and knees were really starting to hurt, more than Dublin hurt. I caught up with a half mara runner from the club, and I stayed with him. There was an awful lot of people struggling, with cramp, walking and in a bad place :( Got to mile 22 and knew if I could just keep my head someway clear, I'd be ok. Mile 24 and I felt sick, but, thankfully, my stomach stayed down. Lots of support along the last half mile or so, and I nearly cried to relief to get into the track. Crossed the line in a bit of a jock, but delighted it was over.

Offical time 3.49.47. Delighted.

Got myself a negative split, and strangely, even though I was struggling, the last 2 miles were the fastest of the day for me - 8.27 and 8.25.

All in all, a brilliantly organised event. Plenty of water, lots of support and a great atmosphere. Hats off to the organisers.

Sun 01/07 - Legs were a bit tired, but no injuries thank God, so I headed off to the beach for a quick swim. It's been about 15 years since I saw in the bay. Legs felt good after it.

Not sure what the plan is for the rest of the year. I'll take this week off anyway, and then decide what is next on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done A, sounds like a tough one. I know all about wheels coming off. But you got your goal time so job done.
    Enjoy the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Congrats on a great race, the chip will probably be sub 3.50, it sounds like it was a tough day and the humidity probably played a part in lots of people having problems.

Enjoy the week off and the recovery runs next week. well done

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done A, sounds like a tough one. I know all about wheels coming off. But you got your goal time so job done.
    Enjoy the rest!

Thanks K, hoping the chip thing can be sorted, but if it isn't it's not the end of the world. I remember thinking around mile 23, that I was never ever doing a marathon again :o

Hope you had a good time Sat night :D I was asleep by 9.30 :o what great company I am!

Younganne wrote: »
    Congrats on a great race, the chip will probably be sub 3.50, it sounds like it was a tough day and the humidity probably played a part in lots of people having problems.

Enjoy the week off and the recovery runs next week. well done

Thanks a mill Anne. Looking forward to the rest and recovery tbh. Weatherwise it wasn't what I was expecting, much warmer than I thought it would be.

Hopefully the chip thing will be clarified. I really want that sub 3.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Congrats Ruby :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

RubyK wrote: »
    That's when the wheels started to fall off for me.

Got myself a negative split, and strangely, even though I was struggling, the last 2 miles were the fastest of the day for me - 8.27 and 8.25.

The wheels coming off is 10:00+ not sub 8:30:p, which is what happened to me.

Well done on the negative split, you must have been doing much better than you were feeling. I started in front of the 3:30 pacers and got back 11 seconds on the chip time versus the clock so you should have a good bit more than that, hopefully a sub 3:50.

Well done overall, it was a good day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good stuff. Well done Ruby.

slowsteady wrote: »
    The wheels coming off is 10:00+ not sub 8:30:p, which is what happened to me.
    I suppose it just felt like the wheels coming off. I didn't look at the garmin much in the last few miles, so was suprised to see the times today off the watch.
    wrote:

Well done on the negative split, you must have been doing much better than you were feeling. I started in front of the 3:30 pacers and got back 11 seconds on the chip time versus the clock so you should have a good bit more than that, hopefully a sub 3:50.

Well done overall, it was a good day.

Thanks, they are looking into it, but I'm not sure if they can do anything about it really. A girl I started beside has 35 secs off her gun time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well done Ruby and fingers crossed the chip time will give you that London qualifier.

• Advertisement

Woo Hoo! I got confirmation that my time was 3.49.47 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Woo Hoo! I got confirmation that my time was 3.49.47 :D

Wow, you paced that one well :D;)

menoscemo wrote: »
    Wow, you paced that one well :D;)

Pacing was a bit all over the place, but got there in the end ;) just about :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats on the time Ruby, delighted for you. Enjoy the recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Whoooppppeeee, that's brilliant. London, watch out coz RubyK is enroute :D. Chuffed for you missus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Congrats! Well done you! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Hey A just catching up on your log now. Great running missus. I am delighted for you all the hard work paid off.... well deserved. Sorry i am late to the party :o

Thanks girls :)

First post-mara run. Delighted to get out this evening - 4 miles avg 9.11 pace. Legs a little creaky, but touch wood, no real niggles.

Sat 07/07 - 8 slow hilly miles. Felt harder than it should have, and the dizzy spells didn't help. Avg pace 9.20.

Sun 08/07 - An easy trot along the beach. 3.5 miles avg pace 9.17.

Mon 09/07 - Another beach run. Mad that in the second week of July you can nearly have the whole beach to yourself. It was lovely :) 5.75 miles avg 9.02 pace.

Tues 10/07 - Group run, first one since the marathon. We took it handy enough, legs still a bit flat. 5.20 miles avg 8.49 pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Super congrats on your amazing marathon, Negative split! Very impressive.
    Only just now had a chance to catch up. I'm delighted to see you're recovering well.
    Enjoy the "Summer"

Good to see the recovery is going alot better than the last marathon Ruby. When are you planning a trip up to the big smoke again?

Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm delighted to see you're recovering well.

shazkea wrote: »
    Good to see the recovery is going alot better than the last marathon Ruby.

Thanks Martha & Shaz, I'm delighted recovery is going well this time :)

When are you planning a trip up to the big smoke again?

Not really sure Shaz, but the 1/2 in the Phoenix Park is a slight possibility.

Wed 11/07 - I wussed out of a beach run due to the fact the wind was quite stong and would be against me coming back, so it was an uneventful road run instead. 4.23 miles avg 8.34 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Wow, great time. Welll done on a very impressive marathon run!

Thanks run44 :)

Thurs 12/07 - I really didn't fancy this run, but knew if I didn't do it I'd be savage at myself, so took a dose of HTFU and got on with it. 5.06 miles avg 7.53 pace.

Fri 13/07 - rest day.

Sat 14/07 - LSR. Never ran this route before, found it tough in places, but enjoyed the company. Left hamstring a bit tight towards the last few miles, and the legs are still pretty flat, so might get a sports rub during the week. 13.01 miles avg 8.51 pace.

Sun 15/07 - rest day.

Mon 16/07 - Beach run, made tough due to the wind and the tide being on the turn, leaving heavy wet sand to plod through. The hurlers didn't look to happy to be training in it either. 6.10 miles avg 9.10 pace.

Tues 17/07 - A progression run. Weather was very disppointing, yet again - windy, misty and muggy. 5.72 miles avg 8.24 pace.

• Advertisement

Mon 16/07 - Beach run, made tough due to the wind and the tide being on the turn, leaving heavy wet sand to plod through. The hurlers didn't look to happy to be training in it either. 6.10 miles avg 9.10 pace.

So that's where the Clare hurlers are going wrong :rolleyes:

Advertisement