Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Wed 18/07 - A handy 5.05 miles avg 8.52 pace.

Thurs 19/07 - Progression run. At last my legs have started to feel fresh again. Best feeling run I've had in a while. 5.68 miles avg 8.16 pace.

Fri 20/07 - rest day.

Sat 21/07 - LSR in parts of the county I was never in. Very hilly from mile 3-8 but kinder after that. 14.15 miles avg 8.55 pace. Noticed a bit of an ache above my left ankle, which stayed with me during the day. It felt better when in was in heels rather than flats. Not sure what that's about.

Sun 22/07 - Wasn't going to run today, there was still a dull ache, but after icing it, I decided to test it out on grass, in different runners. It wasn't sore, but I was aware of it all the same. 11 laps of the GAA grounds 4 miles covered avg 9.24 pace.

Mon 23/07 - A muggy evenings run, just made it in the door before the heavens opened. 6 miles avg 8.30 pace.

Tues 24/07 - A day off work, so went down the back strand and up the beach. Misty and murky, but quite enjoyable all the same. 6.05 miles avg 8.58 pace.

Wed 25/07 - Gorgeous evening for a run, felt great to be out enjoying a bit of sunshine and heat. 5.17 miles avg 8.16 pace.

Thurs 27/07 - Progression run. 5.35 miles avg 8.24 pace.

• Advertisement

Fri 27/07 - Rest day.

Sat 28/07 - Headed off at 8.30 for LSR. The hills were brutal, but the company really helped get me though it. 15.04 miles avg 9.00 pace.

Sun 29/07 - A very guilty rest day, as I was fit for nothing :o Never having a late night again (well at least not when training for a marathon).

Mon 30/07 - Legs felt heavy for the first while, showing that I really need a recovery run yesterday. 6.30 miles avg 8.41 pace.

Tues 31/07 - The "last day" of summer, lived up to the past 3 months. Wet and windy. 5.15 miles avg 8.44 pace.

Need to get my LSR done this evening - 17 miles in this weather isn't filling me with enthusiasm. Roll on Fri, and some warm-weather training :D

Wed 01/08 - Had to get my LSR done this evening after work. I was dreading it. Turned out not to be as bad as I was expecting, tho the legs were tired for the last half mile or so. A nice evening, quite warm in the sun and wind. 17 miles avg 9.05 pace.

Thurs 02/08 - Early recovery run on the beach. 4.10 miles avg 9.10 pace.

On hols from 03/08 - 10/08. Gorgeous resort, except for the hill down to it. Tackled it twice at 6.30am before it got too hot, as temp were 38-42 degrees. Gave up after the second run, and packed away the runners, and did a lot of swimming, in an attempt to salvage something :o

Sat 04/08 - 1 x 4.20 miles.

Tues 07/08 - 1 x 3.10 miles.

Sat 11/08 - LSR. Absolutely dreaded this, after a week of enjoying all the good things in life, I was not in great shape to be tackling a LSR. Headed off with the plan on taking it mile by mile. First 3 miles, I sweated buckets! But by mile 7 I was beginning to feel somewhat better. I was glad of my water belt, but could have done with getting more into me. Last 1/2 mile was awful, but I was delighted to get the session done.
    19 miles avg 9.07 pace.

Sun 12/08 - Recovery run. 4 miles, that were tougher than expected!

Mon 13/08 - My first track session in 9 weeks or so, so knew I was going to find this tough. And it was. Warm up, 3x400's + 3x800's, cool down. 4 miles covered.

• Advertisement

Tues 14/08 - Tempo run. Never really felt comfortable during this, and only for the company I'd have more than likely cut it short. Legs just felt dead 6.15 miles avg 8.38 pace.

Wed 15/08 - Rest day. Glad of it with the wind that was blowing.

Thurs 16/08 - Progression run. 6.05 miles avg 8.46 pace. More enjoyable than Tues run.

Fri 16/08 - Rest day.

Sat 17/08 - LSR. An early start for this group run. I felt the pace was a bit too quick for me for the first few miles, and I was worried about being left behind in the middle of nowhere. By halfway I was feeling it, and the miles seemed to take forever to pass. Found the route very tough, the hills killed me :( and the last 3 miles were very slow. 20 miles avg 9.22 pace.

Sun 18/08 - A short recovery run along the back strand. Ankle a bit sore, so I'll have to keep an eye on that. 4.10 miles avg 9.16 pace.

Mon 20/08 - Ankle niggley so I ditched the track session in favour of the beach. The soft sand let me know the niggle hadn't gone away. 6.15 miles avg 9.15 pace.

Tues 21/08 - Ankle felt ok all day in work, but once I put on the asics that evening I felt it immediately. Decided to try the old mizunos to see if they made a difference. For the first couple of miles I could feel a bit of discomfort, but it passed by mile 3. Progression run of 5.70 miles avg 8.22 pace.

Wed 22/08 - A handy costal run, in the mizunos again. No discomfort, so happy out :) 5.15 miles avg 8.52 pace.

Looks like I'll be ditching the Asics for good. Now to convince husband that he needs to pay for I need my forth pair of runners since the start of the year :o

Thurs 23/08 - Progression run. 5.15 miles avg 8.36 pace.

Sat 25/08 - Found this run very tough. The hills, again, were killers. I was glad we only had to do 13 miles. 13.25 miles avg 8.45 pace.

Sun 26/08 - Early recovery run on the beach. Gorgeous morning for it. 4.20 miles avg 9.02 pace.

Mon 27/08 - Track session. 10x400's with 60 sec recovery, 2x800's with 120 sec recovery. Brutal. Legs were wrecked after it. 5 miles covered with warm/up cool down.

Tues 28/08 - Had trouble getting up and down the stairs, as my legs were in ribbons after the track session :( No running done.

Wed 29/08 - Right leg still a bit tender, so put on the quad guard for this run. Legs loosed out after a couple of miles and I really enjoyed being out. 6.40 miles avg 8.40 pace.

Thurs 31/08 - An easy run in the evening sun :) 6 miles avg 8.57 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

RubyK wrote: »
    Thurs 31/08 - An easy run in the evening sun :) 6 miles avg 8.57 pace.

have you moved;), you have your evening run done already for the day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Younganne wrote: »
    have you moved;), you have your evening run done already for the day!!!

That was Thursday's run. Have you not got that Friday feeling yet Younganne?! Go get yourself a crunchie! :D

Great steady and consistent training there recently Ruby - just watch those niggles. Take the rest/reduced distance/etc as and when you feel like you need it. Hopefully the switch in runners will keep you injury free now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

claralara wrote: »
    That was Thursday's run. Have you not got that Friday feeling yet Younganne?! Go get yourself a crunchie! :D

Great steady and consistent training there recently Ruby - just watch those niggles. Take the rest/reduced distance/etc as and when you feel like you need it. Hopefully the switch in runners will keep you injury free now.

i've had my crunchie already(might have to have another;))...today is the 31 Aug....;)

Sat 01/09 - LSR day. Pretty warm and breezy out there, but it wasn't too bad a run. Had to stop and stretch left leg at mile 17, but got going again. 20.03 miles avg 8.54 pace.

Sun 02/09 - After an early spin to and from Dublin Airport, I treated myself to a loosener upper in the Nature Park, legs felt ok. Beautiful hot morning. 4.75 miles avg 9.06 pace.

• Advertisement

Mon 03/09 - Did my first ever hill session. Nice group of us turned up. 10 hill repeats done. Tough going, but nice to try something different. 4.05 miles covered.

Tues 04/09 - Progression run, with a few long drags in parts. 6.37 miles, avg 8.20 pace.

Wed 05/09 - sick.

Thurs 06/09 - sick.

Fri 07/09 - A tester, to gauge how many miles I should aim for Saturdays LSR. Not the most pleasant of runs, sweated mad, but was happy to be out moving. 5.15 miles avg 8.50 pace.

Sat 08/09 - The group were doing 20, but I still wasn't 100% and knew I'd never keep up with them, so I headed out alone with my ipod, with a plan of just staying on my feet for as long as I could. Never felt comfortable at all. Called it a day at 17.05 miles. Avg pace 9.08 pace, which doesn't include the 3 stops along the main road, trying to compose myself :o

I won't bother with the half next weekend, will stick to a LSR instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Ah shame you won't make it up for the half but take it handy if you are not feeling 100%. I guess I'll have to make that trip to Waterford after all then to catch up :)

Ah shame you won't make it up for the half but take it handy if you are not feeling 100%.
    Yeah, I'm disappointed alright, I was looking forward to some retail therapy running in the park. Ah well, looks like I will just have to wait til the end of October ;)
    I guess I'll have to make that trip to Waterford after all then to catch up :)

Sounds good shaz :D

Mon 10/09 - Track session. Pyramid of 400,800,1200,1600,1200,400. Painful, as usual, and my breathing for the first couple was woeful :rolleyes: 5 miles covered with warm up/cool down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Pity the half is out for you, but sounds like it's the right decision. Take it easy.

Tues 11/09 - Progression run. Happy with how this one went, feeling a lot better in myself. 6.10 miles avg 8.11 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

RubyK wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm disappointed alright, I was looking forward to some retail therapy running in the park. Ah well, looks like I will just have to wait til the end of October ;)

Sounds good shaz :D

Sorry forgot about DCM (completely disappeared from my radar :o) - sure I may see you after.

Wed 12/09 - A nice easy run this evening, and I really enjoyed it. 6.42 miles avg 8.57 pace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Some good sessions this week Ruby, glad to see you’re back to normal after being sick.

Advertisement