Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

DigiJem wrote: »
    Some good sessions this week Ruby, glad to see you’re back to normal after being sick.

Thanks DigiJem, feeling 100% again :)

Thurs 13/09 - Progression run. 5.15 miles avg 8.22 pace.

Fri 14/09 - Rest day. Was absolutely shattered, and falling asleep at 8.30pm, in bed by 9.00pm:o

Sat 15/09 - LSR. These seem to roll around very fast. I had a savage nights sleep, so work up fresh out at 5.45am and ready to tackle the miles. Didn't need to take on anything other than water, and a few sips of isotonic drink during the run, and all in all (bar a mile or so around the 14 mark) I was really happy at how this went. 3.37 miles warm up @ 9.23 pace + 17.9 miles avg 8.44 pace. 21.27 miles covered.

Sun 16/09 - Easy recovery run, to loosen out the legs. 4.22 miles avg 9.11 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

RubyK wrote: »

Fri 14/09 - Rest day. Was absolutely shattered, and falling asleep at 8.30pm, in bed by 9.00pm:o

Sat 15/09 - LSR. These seem to roll around very fast. I had a savage nights sleep, so work up fresh out at 5.45am and ready to tackle the miles. Didn't need to take on anything other than water, and a few sips of isotonic drink during the run, and all in all (bar a mile or so around the 14 mark) I was really happy at how this went. 3.37 miles warm up @ 9.23 pace + 17.9 miles avg 8.44 pace. 21.27 miles covered.

Sun 16/09 - Easy recovery run, to loosen out the legs. 4.22 miles avg 9.11 pace.

Please tell me that is a typo :eek::eek:. Great running there Ruby

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Why would it be a typo? All the cool people run early! :cool:
    Nice LSR, A!!!! A nice confidence boost I'm sure.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Why would it be a typo? All the cool people run early! :cool:
    Nice LSR, A!!!! A nice confidence boost I'm sure.

05:45 is not early - that's the middle of the night! Now 07:00 that's early and nope not a chance I will see you in the park at that hour this Sat!!

Oops :o I was up and fresh-out at 05.45. But I didn't go out until 7.45am.

Looking forward to breaking in the new Mizuno's later on. Wow, I live such an exciting life :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Oops :o I was up and fresh-out at 05.45. But I didn't go out until 7.45am.

Looking forward to breaking in the new Mizuno's later on. Wow, I live such an exciting life :rolleyes:

That's more like it - I was getting worried there for a second! How colourful are the Mizuno's?? I sticking with my Asics DS Trainers for a while so really happy they held up ok in the half. The eternal search for a comfy shoe :rolleyes:

That's more like it - I was getting worried there for a second! How colourful are the Mizuno's?? I sticking with my Asics DS Trainers for a while so really happy they held up ok in the half. The eternal search for a comfy shoe :rolleyes:

Here they are shaz [IMG][/img]http://images.sportsshoes.com/product/M/MIZ930/MIZ930_400_1.jpg

Tried them out last night, and really liked them. I'd say though they are probably a bit too dull colour wise for you :D

Mon 17/09 - Track Session. 12x400's with 1 min recovery. A tough but good session. With warm up/cool down 5.15 miles covered.

Tues 18/09 - This would have been one of those perfect runs, lungs and breathing felt great, head was in the right place, was able to push the pace a little, however the back of my right thigh was humongous (and still is), after been bitten by a horsefly :o which was pretty annoying, itch wise as the miles went on. God know what I looked like in the capris with odd sized legs :rolleyes:. 6 miles avg 7.51 pace.

Tues 18/09 - This would have been one of those perfect runs, lungs and breathing felt great, head was in the right place, was able to push the pace a little, however the back of my right thigh was humongous (and still is), after been bitten by a horsefly :o which was pretty annoying, itch wise as the miles went on. God know what I looked like in the capris with odd sized legs :rolleyes:. 6 miles avg 7.51 pace.

The bite didn't seem to affect your pace, great stuff there A! :)

Wed 19/09 - A nice short few miles - 4.25 miles avg 8.40

Thurs 20/09 - Absolutely shattered this evening, really didn't feel like going out so as a compromise I headed to the beach for a change of scenery and to give the legs a rest from the roads. Probably not the best decision, as it was windy, freezing and mile 3 & 4 were a race against the incoming tide. On a more positive note, my right leg has returned to it's normal size! 5.75 miles avg 9.01 pace.

• Advertisement

Sat 22/09 - LSR. What a difference a week makes. Last LSR went really well, this on the other hand was a bit of a nightmare :( I knew from after 2 miles the pace was too quick for me, but as I didn't know the route, I hung on to the back of the group, with another chap. The hills were challenging to say the least and by mile 8 my right IT band was starting to niggle, I thought we'd never get to mile 10. Felt a little better after taking some jellies and isotonic, but at mile 13 the demons were back, leg hurting and all I wanted to do was stop. Pace up til then was avg between 8.20 - 8.45. This dropped after mile 13 to 9.15 - 9.26. At mile 20.40 I took a tumble. Grazed knee and elbow, I was moving too slow to do much damage, but it did shake me up a bit. Turned off the watch and walked for a 1/4 mile, before setting off again. We took it very slow back to the car park :o 22.25 miles covered avg 9.00 pace.

I don't know where this leaves me for Dublin. Not in the least bit confident in breaking 3.45. Guess I'll have to wait for London to do it!

Sun 23/09 - Knee felt ok, but IT band was sore just walking the dog. Left arm also sore, so decided not to chance a recovery run.

IT band feels a lot better today, so hopefully it was just one of those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Ouch a fall is nasty, hope everything heals quickly. Saturday's run went rough but your still knocked out 22 miles at a great pace. You're well set for Dublin.

Thanks DigiJem, everything feels ok again :)

Mon 24/09 - Track session - wasn't sure how this would go, so told myself I'd pull up if anything started hurting (apart from my lungs!). Thankfully, all went well. 3 x 1000's with 2 min recovery, 4 x 500's with 1 min recovery. Warm up/cool down 5.10 miles covered.

Hopefully Saturday was just one of those inevitable crappy sessions, that messes with your head ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hopefully Saturday was just one of those inevitable crappy sessions, that messes with your head ;)

No doubt in the slightest that that's all it was. We all have them and they're the ones that stand to us the most (in my honest humble experience of bad runs :)). Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

RubyK, don't let one bad run unsettle you, you are flying there.
    Your LSR pace seems to be on the upper end of the scale for your target. Far from me telling you what to do, but maybe do the LSR a tad slower. 3.44 marathon give you pace range 8.30 - 9.50ish, you have lots of room there to slow them down a wee bit and might make them a bit more "enjoyable". Tell me to MYOB if you want:o

Thanks Anne, appreciate your reply :) I agree with you about the pace, it's def too quick for me. This weeks LSR is along a route I'm much more familiar with so I'll be happy enough to stick to my own pace and let the group off :)

Confidence knocking LSRs - yep, been there, done that! You know that it was one run. You know you can run better and faster. (I'm great for following my own advice!!)
    Hope you're okay after the fall. You'll do great! :)

Confidence knocking LSRs - yep, been there, done that! You know that it was one run. You know you can run better and faster. (I'm great for following my own advice!!)
    Hope you're okay after the fall. You'll do great! :)

:D, oh why did I not read this before I posted in your log jscmum - we are all great for offering the words of encouragement to everyone else except ourselves :rolleyes:

Ruby - +1 on what she says though and good to see no lasting problems after the fall.

Thanks ladies, all's grand after the fall ;) Will try harder to stay upright on tomorrows LSR though :o

Tues 25/09 - Progression run, which I really enjoyed despite the rain. 6.30 miles avg 8.04 pace.

Wed 26/09 - A handy run in the wind this morning. 5.15 miles avg 9.00 pace.

Thurs 27/09 - Headed for the beach for this run, seeing as it was a nice calm morning. The wind decided to pick up as I rounded the sandhills and headed back up the beach :rolleyes: so it felt tougher than it should have. 6.05 miles avg 9.19 pace.

Sat 29/10 - LSR Day, these roll around very fast. Spent Friday trying not to think about this one, just turn up and take it mile by mile, alone if I had to :o I did a quick warm up, of 1.15 miles @ 9.04 pace and then headed off with the group for 18.21 miles @ 8.31 pace. Happy out to get through it a lot better than last week. Good for the head :)

Sun 30/10 - After being up all night with my sick dog, I was glad to be just doing a short recovery run. 4.10 miles avg 9.04 pace.

• Advertisement

Good stuff Ruby, glad to hear its restored the confidence.

Thanks banner, positivity has returned for the moment :)

Mon 01/10 - Track session. 200, 400, 600, with 30 sec recovery x 3, 800 with 2 min recovery x 2. Legs felt a bit flat for the first rep, but happy enough with the effort overall. 5.60 miles covered with warm up/cool down.

Tues 02/10 - Tempo run. 7 miles avg 7.41 pace.

Wed 03/10 - Very tight on time this evening, but at least the weather co-operated during my window of opportunity. Felt a bit tired during this one, and my breathing was off :confused: 4 miles avg 8.38 pace.

Thurs 04/10 - Life got in the way of running.

Fri 05/010 - As I missed yesterdays run, I had to get out at 5.45am for this one. Legs felt good, pace felt good too, until looked at the watch at mile 1 and it said 9.15 :eek::confused: It took another mile before I could get the pace under 9. This early morning lark feels like a lot of effort. 5.55 miles avg 9.02 pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Fri 05/010 - As I missed yesterdays run, I had to get out at 5.45am for this one. Legs felt good, pace felt good too, until looked at the watch at mile 1 and it said 9.15 :eek::confused: It took another mile before I could get the pace under 9. This early morning lark feels like a lot of effort. 5.55 miles avg 9.02 pace.

The early morning runs are way tougher - it takes a good while to warm up and work out the stiffness of sleep. I never worry about pace for the first couple of miles of a very early run - it's not worth it. You're in great shape and you'll have a great day in Dublin.

How is the head feeling? Must be getting excited now?

Ps - 3:45 group for me :)

claralara wrote: »

Ps - 3:45 group for me :)

I just saw that on the thread in events :D great stuff!! I'll be hanging onto to you as best as I can on the 29th.

Head is ok this week. Who knows though what it'll be like next week :pac:

Hows your recovery going?

Sat 06/10 - LSR day. A perfect morning for running, cold clear and calm. Took the first few miles very handy, and focused on time on my feet. Got to mile 10 feeling ok, but at mile 12 I wasn't feeling so good. Took a gel, well half a gel, the other half ended up down my top :rolleyes:. I felt better again, and headed out along the first half of the WVM route. The last 6 miles were pmp or there abouts. 23.20 miles avg 8.55 pace

There were a few niggles and the old piriformis gave a twinge or two, but sure that's to be expected at this stage. Taper and a sports rub in the next week should sort them out. 23.20 miles avg 8.55 pace.

Sun 07/10 - A nice easy recovery run down the beach. Legs loosened out quickly, and it was a nice handy plod in the sand. 4.72 miles avg 9.18 pace.

Only 23.2 miles on Saturday :rolleyes:...... slacker! :)

• Advertisement

Only 23.2 miles on Saturday :rolleyes:...... slacker! :)

I had to get rid of the memory of the horrible LSR I did a couple of weeks ago. It did the trick thankfully :)

Mon 08/10 - Track session. Felt tired for this one, and both my calves were tight. 1x500 with 30 sec recovery, 1x1000 with 2 min recovery x 3 times. With warm up/cool down 5.20 miles covered.

Advertisement