Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Tues 09/10 - Feeling a bit off today, so dosed myself up on Vit C and Cold&Flu tabs. Must have done the trick as I felt much better after the session. Progression run of 6 miles avg 7.51 pace.

Wed 10/10 - Went to the beach for a recovery run this morning. Legs a bit tired, but job done. 4.05 miles avg 9.12 pace.

Taper is definitely kicking in, as my appetite has taken on a life of it's own, as per DCM'10 and WVM'12 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

RubyK wrote: »
    Tues 09/10 - Feeling a bit off today, so dosed myself up on Vit C and Cold&Flu tabs. Must have done the trick as I felt much better after the session. Progression run of 6 miles avg 7.51 pace.

Wed 10/10 - Went to the beach for a recovery run this morning. Legs a bit tired, but job done. 4.05 miles avg 9.12 pace.

Taper is definitely kicking in, as my appetite has taken on a life of it's own, as per DCM'10 and WVM'12 :o

Sounds pretty normal to me... ;)

Thurs 11/10 - Didn't have time to get to the group run so it was a lonesome evening run. Felt quite tired after a couple of miles and a bit niggley, looks like good old taper madness is knocking on my door :pac: 5.60 miles avg 8.18 pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I just saw that on the thread in events :D great stuff!! I'll be hanging onto to you as best as I can on the 29th.

Head is ok this week. Who knows though what it'll be like next week :pac:

Hows your recovery going?

At this stage I feel well and truly recovered but I'm sure the body wouldn't agree if I went and pushed it to do something stupid!!

Just taking it really really handy for a few weeks - enjoying the recovery gluttony! Junk food and alcohol are killing me sweetly!!
    looks like good old taper madness is knocking on my door :pac:

You'd be worried if it wasn't! Not long now... not long at all! Are you going to aim for 3:45 or are you going to burn us? Judging by that last LSR you should be well able to kick on at halfway or at least for the last 6 miles if everything goes according to plan on the day.

claralara wrote: »
    At this stage I feel well and truly recovered but I'm sure the body wouldn't agree if I went and pushed it to do something stupid!!

Just taking it really really handy for a few weeks - enjoying the recovery gluttony! Junk food and alcohol are killing me sweetly!!
    Glad you are recovering well, enjoy it :D

Are you going to aim for 3:45 or are you going to burn us? Judging by that last LSR you should be well able to kick on at halfway or at least for the last 6 miles if everything goes according to plan on the day.

Yep, the aim is sub 3.45 :) Roll on this day 2 weeks :)

• Advertisement

Sat 13/10 - Wow it was cold this morning. My legs were numb for at least 11 of the miles. 14 miles avg 8.12 pace.

Sun 14/10 - A short run in the countryside. 3.20 miles avg 8.40 pace.

Mon 15/10 - Track session in the rain. 12x400's with 40 sec recovery. Legs didn't enjoy this one :rolleyes: 4.32 miles covered.

The running dreams are back. Last night I was at the marathon startline, in baggy jeans, woolly jumper and flip-flops :confused: and the course was cross-country. WTF.

Tues 16/10 - Luckily I got out before the wind and rain, 6 miles avg 8.04 pace, full of taper ailments :pac:

Off to the physio this evening for a rub. Should be fun :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Mon 15/10 - Track session in the rain. 12x400's with 40 sec recovery. Legs didn't enjoy this one :rolleyes: 4.32 miles covered.

The running dreams are back. Last night I was at the marathon startline, in baggy jeans, woolly jumper and flip-flops :confused: and the course was cross-country. WTF.

Now that's just plain silly ;)

Wed 17/10 - Physio session. I planned that visit well, what with the monsoon that hit us! Was glad of the excuse to not have to face the wind and rains. It was a pretty painful rub, and the areas I thought were in bother weren't actually the problem parts at all. He warned me I'd be sore Thurs.

Thurs 18/10 - I tested out my bruised hamstring, piriformis and battered quad. The first 1/2 mile was uncomfortable, but after that they settled down and co-operated :) 5.10 miles avg 8.22 pace.

• Advertisement

Fri 19/10 - Off to the beach for a head clearer after work. A lovely easy 3.55 miles avg 8.58 pace.

Sat 20/10 - Last of the longer miles. We ended up doing a hilly enough route, so this felt a bit tougher than I was expecting. 10.25 miles avg 8.18 pace.

Sun 21/10 - Rest day.

Mon 22/10 - Track session. Took this pretty handy, as per orders. 1.60 miles warm up, then 1 x 200's, 6 x 400's. Cool down. 4 miles covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Good luck for Monday Ruby, I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything goes to plan for you. However with the training you've been doing you should have no problems!

Thanks a mill runrabbit for your message! I hope things are going well with you :)

Tues 23/10 - Could feel a bit of discomfort from piriformis towards the end of this, and afterwards right hip felt a bit stiff. 4 miles avg 8.14 pace

Wed 24/10 - Rest day. Lower back and right side uncomfortable. Lots of stretching & foam rolling.

Thurs 25/10 - Easy 3 miles to see how the leg was. Went ok, but afterwards right side uncomfortable again. 3.20 miles avg 8.58 pace.

Lower back and side v uncomfortable this morning. Have rung the physio, and have an appointment for this evening. Hopefully he will work his magic and all will be ok for Monday. If not, I'll just eat a load to anti-inflams over the weekend and mix a few neurofen in with my bag of jellies Monday am :D

Thanks a mill runrabbit for your message! I hope things are going well with you :)
    I'm okay thanks, I've a cold at the moment - I get way more colds since I stopped running. I'm thinking about going in to watch the marathon on Monday, it's about tine I showed my face at something! I'll give an extra big cheer to the 3:45s!

I hope your hip eases out, it's probably just your mind playing tricks on you!

Sorry to hear that, colds seem to be rife at the moment, hope you'll be feeling better soon. Get a hot one into you tonight, it will do no harm at all ;)

Thanks for the support, that's the greatest memory I have from DCM2010 - the people who lined the street were amazing.

I'll be wearing a blue addidas top and have "Deise Animal Sanctuary" printed on the back of it. If you happen to see me let me know it's you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Ruby, hope its nothing too serious and a rub from the physio will sort it...make sure you don't offer your jellies to anyone in case they take the wrong ones!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

The very best of luck on Monday - not long now until the body can get out and do what it's itching to do instead of plaguing you with phantom pains. Hopefully see you at the startline...looking good so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Very, very best of luck for a great race, your training has gone really well, you'll reap the rewards on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck on Monday, hope you blast it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best to you on Monday!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Best of luck Monday !

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Good luck on Monday, whatever else enjoy it. Target times are great but the atmosphere will be the best. Have a good one.

Thanks a mill for the best wishes guys!

Went to the physio last night, turns out it wasn't the piriformis muscle, tt was my TFL muscle that's causing the discomfort in the hip and my psoas muscle was causing the lower back pain. He released that through my stomach (instant relief). He worked a lot on the hip and seemed to "click" towards the end. Got more stretches to do, and given the all clear for Monday :)

Sat 27/10 - An easy 3 miles just to ease the nerves. Hip a bit sore, but that's to be expected after all the prodding yesterday. 3 miles avg 8.47 pace.

So that's it. Looking forward to getting to the RDS tomorrow and relaxing a bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck Ruby. Looking forward to the report. Will look out for you at mile 9.

Thanks for the support, that's the greatest memory I have from DCM2010 - the people who lined the street were amazing.

I'll be wearing a blue addidas top and have "Deise Animal Sanctuary" printed on the back of it. If you happen to see me let me know it's you :)

I'll keep an eye out for you! Glad to hear your hip is better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Glad to hear you're all systems go, best of luck Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Congrats, looks like you hit your target, enjoy the pain!!!

runrabbit wrote: »
    I'll keep an eye out for you! Glad to hear your hip is better

Hey there I spotted you today - I gave you a shout-out but I couldn't really identify myself as 'runrabbit'! You looked very strong as you powered up the hill so I have no doubt that you smashed your PB - looking forward to reading your report!

• Advertisement

slowsteady wrote: »
    Congrats, looks like you hit your target, enjoy the pain!!!

Thanks a mill slowsteady :) how are you keeping?
    runrabbit wrote: »
    Hey there I spotted you today - I gave you a shout-out but I couldn't really identify myself as 'runrabbit'! You looked very strong as you powered up the hill so I have no doubt that you smashed your PB - looking forward to reading your report!

Ah you should have let a "runrabbit" roar out, just for the laugh :D Thanks for coming out and supporting, I was blown away by the crowds.

Advertisement