Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running changes everything

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

London - 3 weeks to go

Wed 03/04 - Feel like I have lost my mojo a bit :eek: The last few runs I've not felt the love, and this evening was torture. Legs were dead, head was lost. I was running on pure stubborness, and just kept saying over and over to myself "would you just f'ckin run". I'd say I had a face like thunder on me, oops :o 7.25 miles avg 8.35 pace.

Month|Miles|No. of Runs
    Jan|166.82|23
    Feb|163.69|22
    Mar|220.40|25
    April|17.80|3

Total|568.81|70

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

RubyK wrote: »
    London - 3 weeks to go

Wed 03/04 - Feel like I have lost my mojo a bit :eek: The last few runs I've not felt the love, and this evening was torture. Legs were dead, head was lost. I was running on pure stubborness, and just kept saying over and over to myself "would you just f'ckin run". I'd say I had a face like thunder on me, oops :o 7.25 miles avg 8.35 pace.

A, you know all the hard work is done including all those LSRs at super pace - don't be worrying. You're nearly there!!!!!!!

jcsmum wrote: »
    A, you know all the hard work is done including all those LSRs at super pace - don't be worrying. You're nearly there!!!!!!!

Thanks K, you're right, nearly there now, just need to keep the head together ;)

Can I borrow your legs for the 21st please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

You've been doing some great training and I've no doubt you'll have a great run in London. Just need to get through the doubt and niggles of the taper madness and you'll be grand. :D
    I'll be sending some positive thoughts your way. Hope they help. :rolleyes:

Emer911 wrote: »
    You've been doing some great training and I've no doubt you'll have a great run in London. Just need to get through the doubt and niggles of the taper madness and you'll be grand. :D
    I'll be sending some positive thoughts your way. Hope they help. :rolleyes:

Thanks Emer! Feeling more positive this week, so those thoughts of yours have worked. Please keep them up for another 11 days :D;)

• Advertisement

London - 3 weeks to go

Thurs 04/04 - Reluctantly headed out the door this evening, to see what lay ahead after yesterdays dismal run. Not quite as bad as yesterday, but still not confidence inspiring. Breathing heavy, legs lead-like, = head melted. 5.10 miles avg 8.36 pace.

Fri 05/04 - Took this as a rest day, figured I had nothing to loose. Headed for some retail therapy. With some nice purchases, all from vouchers I had, so it didn't cost me at all, I came home feeling like a new woman. Great for the head :D

Sat 06/04 - LSR time. Happy with the pace, but boy it felt tougher than it should have, again my breathing was rough and legs bet. TFL & psoas musle still causing a little discomfort. 14.06 miles at pmp.

Sun 07/04 - Rest day. I had absolutely no desire to run at all. Mojo banjaxed.

Month|Miles|No. of Runs
    Jan|166.82|23
    Feb|163.69|22
    Mar|220.40|25
    April|36.96|5

Total|587.97|75

London - 2 weeks to go :eek:

Mon 08/04 - Interval session. Dreaded this, worried about another bad run, and aggrevating the psoas muscle. Had rang the physio ealier and got an appointment for Wednesday. 2 miles warm-up, 3 x 1600's, 1 mile cool down. This went sooooo much better than expected, and I really enjoyed it, although it was lung busting. Psoas muscle behaved very well too. Positivity returns, mojo found again :)

Tues 09/04 - Progression run. 1 mile warm up, 4.25 miles avg 8.09 pace. Again, happy with this run, and psoas muscle didn't cause any issue.
    5.25 miles covered.

Month|Miles|No. of Runs
    Jan|166.82|23
    Feb|163.69|22
    Mar|220.40|25
    April|48.21|7

Total|599.22|77

You didn't lose the mojo for long I see! ;)

jcsmum wrote: »
    You didn't lose the mojo for long I see! ;)

Due to tapering, those few days felt much longer :eek::) But all's good again thank God!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Its the Tapering thats playing with your head and your body...you have had fantastic training with lots of solid long runs so you will fly it on the day....just hold on for a little bit more:D

What day are you travelling...will we get a chance to meet up on Saturday evening?? Are you stayin in the Strand??

• Advertisement

Thanks Anne, this taper lark is the hardest part of the training schedule :pac:

Will be staying at the Docklands Friday, and heading for the Strand on Saturday. Will def meet up with you there :)

London - 1 week to go :eek:

Wed 10/04 - Rest day. Had a pretty intensive physio session :eek::eek:

Thurs 11/04 - Legs sore after last nights battering, but they loosened up after a couple of miles. 6.11 miles avg 8.08 pace.

Fri 12/04 - Headed to the beach for this, probably a bad idea as it was wicked windy. 3.50 miles avg 8.46 pace.

Sat 13/04 - Last of the double digit miles. Headed off at 6.45am in order to avoid the rain. I was half asleep for the first mile, wind seemed to pick up after mile 2. All went ok, but at mile 8.5 I felt really ropey, so stopped to compose myself for a min. Had the wind to my back for the last mile, which pushed me home. 10.15 miles avg 8.29 pace.

Sun 14/04 - Rest day.

Month|Miles|No. of Runs
    Jan|166.82|23
    Feb|163.69|22
    Mar|220.40|25
    April|67.97|10

Total|618.98|80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

London - 1 week to go :eek:

Wed 17/04 - Rest day. Had a pretty intensive physio session :eek::eek:

Thurs 18/04 - Legs sore after last nights battering, but they loosened up after a couple of miles. 6.11 miles avg 8.08 pace.

Fri 19/04 - Headed to the beach for this, probably a bad idea as it was wicked windy. 3.50 miles avg 8.46 pace.

Sat 20/04 - Last of the double digit miles. Headed off at 6.45am in order to avoid the rain. I was half asleep for the first mile, wind seemed to pick up after mile 2. All went ok, but at mile 8.5 I felt really ropey, so stopped to compose myself for a min. Had the wind to my back for the last mile, which pushed me home. 10.15 miles avg 8.29 pace.

Sun 21/04 - Rest day.

Month|Miles|No. of Runs
    Jan|166.82|23
    Feb|163.69|22
    Mar|220.40|25
    April|67.97|10

Total|618.98|80

You might want to recheck your dates there ;)

Hope to see you over in London; are you going to make it to the Coal Hole?

menoscemo wrote: »
    You might want to recheck your dates there ;)

Hope to see you over in London; are you going to make it to the Coal Hole?

Jebas! If I'm resting on 21/04 I am in right bother!! Taper madness how are ya :D

Will see you in the Coal Hole, I still owe you a pint from your Kildare half pacing duties ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

I'm loving your new strategy for running a marathon - take a rest day :D Now that sounds more like something I would do :eek:

Your training has been really and no doubt you will have a cracking race.

I'm loving your new strategy for running a marathon - take a rest day :D Now that sounds more like something I would do :eek:

Your training has been really and no doubt you will have a cracking race.

Hello stranger! How are you keeping? Hope the the training is going well :)

London - here we come :eek:

Mon 15/04 - The madness has set it, I can't even remember running this evening :confused: Garmin says 5.10 miles avg 8.21 pace.

Like everyone, I was sick to my stomach to see the devestation unfold in Boston on TV Monday night. Made my mind up then, that whatever happens in London, with walls, cramps, demons etc, I'm going to enjoy it!

Tues 16/04 - A handy run, with company. Would love to have gone further with them, but I had to keep this short. 4.50 mils avg 8.40 pace.

Wed 17/04 - Rest day. Got to love when taper coincides with rain and gale force 9 winds :D

Thurs 18/04 - Will get out for a very easy 3 miles later this evening, and then that's it, nothing more I can do!

London, be kind to me :pac:

Month|Miles|No. of Runs
    Jan|166.82|23
    Feb|163.69|22
    Mar|220.40|25
    April|77.57|12

Total|628.48|82

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Good luck on Sunday....hope all the hard work pays off :D

Hope it all goes to plan A and that you have a great run. Your LSRs were amazing and your training was spot on - now PB here you come!

Thanks a mill girls! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Best of luck in London. Been checking in occasionally to see how you were doing and looking in awe at the mileage you were clocking. If hard work gets what it deserves you should have a cracker.

Have a great one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Best wishes for Sunday, hope you get the race your training deserves. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

All the best in London Ruby, hope the day goes well and you get the rewards for all your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Great run Ruby, congrats and enjoy the celebrations :)

Boston qualifying time - how bad!!

Well done, will look for the inside story on how it was done in due course.

In the meantime, enjoy the aches and pains (and pints):)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Well done ruby, shame I missed you out there.

slowsteady wrote: »
    Boston qualifying time - how bad!!

Well done, will look for the inside story on how it was done in due course.

In the meantime, enjoy the aches and pains (and pints):)

Hey there slowsteady, how are things? Are you doing the Waterford Mara? Thanks for the good wishes :)

Thurs 18/04 - An easy few miles in the countryside, for my head more than anything. 3.30 miles avg 8.53 pace.

Fri 19/04 - Flew into London City Airport, went straight to the Expo to collect number, and then next door to the hotel we were staying in for 1 night. Turns out to be party central :eek: DJ playing downstairs til about 2.00am. Room, although lovely, was too warm and we couldn't open the windows. Very little sleep had. Not ideal

Sat 20/04 - Left party central, and headed for the Strand Palace. We were lucky to be able to check in by 10.30am, so dropped the bags and headed for Oxford Street. I had a headache and was absolutely wrecked for the day, and just tried not to think about the marathon. Plenty of water taken on during the day. Lots of carbs Saturday evening.

Sun 21/04 - London Marathon

Thank God I had a much better nights sleep. At least 5 solid hours, before a couple of hrs tossing & turning. Up by 6.00am, fed and watered by 7.00am. Then it was off down to reception to meet the two lovely ladies that are Marthastew and Younganne :) and I also got to meet pronator (wow, what a race he ran!). The train journey was grand, and my self and Marthastew were in the green zone before 9. There was a great buzz about the place. The weather was fab, but maybe just a little too fab. Said my goodbyes to martha, and lined up in pen 4, one line from the front. Before I knew it, it was nearly time to go. The 30sec silence was emotional, and reminded us all how lucky we were to be running this event. It took me just over a minute to cross the starting mats, which was great. Mile 1 & 2 were grand, but I noticed I was thirsty :confused: and I had to pee :eek: (I did jinx myself marthastew!) So I decided as long as I was on pace, I'd just have to keep going, no loo-stop. I had read all about the fantastic support, but I just could not believe it on the day. It was incredible. I took water at every station, and my only gripe of the day were the couple of runners who pushed me out of the way, twice, getting water :mad: The miles passed by quickly, but I was finding it getting quite warm. Passed half way at 1.49.32, so was on track for sub 3.40. which meant I couldn't affort a pee-stop :o One of the highlights was mile 14, where we got to see the male leaders & elites doing their thing! Miles 16 was a bit of a low point, but it passed. I was feeling ok at mile 20, and was just concentrating on holding the pace. Mile 23 onwards really dragged and it was physical and mental struggle, but suprisingly mile 25 & 26 were my quickest of the day at 7.27 and 8.08 pace. The last 365 yards hurt like hell, at 7.31 pace. Relief to cross the line, stopped my watch which read 3.39.59 :eek: I was thrilled to get the sub 3.40. But after looking at the offical times online today, I see didn't break the 3.40, I was 3.40.00 exactly :mad: Ah well, guess I'll have to go back again next year and fix that :)

Back to the Coal Hole to see how everyone got on (brilliant running by all!) and then a slow shuffle to get some food. Don't think I've felt more tired after a marathon than I did Sunday.

All in all, one of the best experiences, but probably one of the hardest as well.

26.42 miles avg 8.20 pace

Stat posted on the website

Over final 7 km

You passed
    runners

And
    passed you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Well done RubyK!
    Between that stat from the results website and your splits it shows you ran a brilliantly executed race!

• Advertisement

Hey there slowsteady, how are things? Are you doing the Waterford Mara? Thanks for the good wishes :)

After the crash and burn finish last June took most of time to Xmas off to try and clear up the Achilles problem, only worked to a point. Been back at it since New Year and slowly improving (10k PB last week) but older and wiser so keeping marathon under review - not ruled out but not likely.

Great to see a plan come together, you got what you wanted and deserved. Good to see you are going back for more as well:).

Loved the passing stat - must have felt good!!

Advertisement